Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 08:07 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,200,315 times

Advertisements

I would consider voting for a non-politician again, but it’s got to be someone surrounded but a loyal, equally smart cadre of supporters because, IMO, Washington DC is a swamp infested by a bunch of power hungry backstabbers.

An outsider is going to have to be very savvy to maneuver around all the snakes and not get bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 03:47 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
I don't discount someone for lack of political experience but I want to understand what the candidate brings to the table. CEO experience, by example, is relevant to a point. But the candidate should understand the difference.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:53 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,262,646 times
Two things: 1) the US government, at its highest levels, is NOT a business. It's the world's largest non-profit. That's why busi nessmen (Hoover, Trump) have failed as president. The mission is entirely different; the job is NOT about making money, it's about solving people's problems. This is why, by and large, state governors (and sometimes senators) have done well in the job. They need large, non-profit CEO experience. 2) I always say that craving a non-politician as president is like craving your next jumbo jet is flown by someone who has never flown before. No thanks.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:00 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
I expect many races will be more open as the covaxed become too sick and dead.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:25 AM

9,368 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Would you vote for a non-politician President in 2024?

Maybe, but no actors.
In a more or less popular electoral system in the age of mass media, the very definition of politician is actor in political theater. Very few, if any, of these politicians/actors in political theater are actual policymakers.

Voters choose among a bunch of actors in political theater.

Naturally the voters and the actors in political theater matter less than the actual producers, script writers and directors, whom the voters rarely see, if ever.

Having said that, voters may, once in a while (every 30 years?), be able to influence the producers and script writers by voting off-beat actors and third parties, and other ballot-paper tricks, and the population in general by certain behaviors that go against the script.

But don’t hold your breath.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-25-2022 at 04:37 AM..

Old 06-25-2022, 04:51 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Policy is all that matters. Needing to know how government is run is a silly cliche. The Constitution and Bill of Rights gives us our marching orders.

Old 06-25-2022, 04:54 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
After the Trump experience, I think there is something to be said for electing a President who has a clear track record of defending the Constitution.
Name one that has done it in the last 50 years.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:11 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Would you vote for a non-politician President in 2024?

Maybe, but no actors.
Or failed businessmen.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:52 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Two things: 1) the US government, at its highest levels, is NOT a business. It's the world's largest non-profit. That's why busi nessmen (Hoover, Trump) have failed as president. The mission is entirely different; the job is NOT about making money, it's about solving people's problems. This is why, by and large, state governors (and sometimes senators) have done well in the job. They need large, non-profit CEO experience. 2) I always say that craving a non-politician as president is like craving your next jumbo jet is flown by someone who has never flown before. No thanks.
When they make my tax burden optional so that I can decide what I want my funds to be distributed to like any non-profit, then I'd vote for a non profit CEO. Too many non-profits beg for money and are beholding to special interests thus they have no skin in the game on how that money is spent. No Thanks!

Old 06-25-2022, 03:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Sure. Biden's only job in life was spending 45+ years as a politician. In less than a year he destroyed this country....the only advantage politicians have is "good old boys" network. You wash my hand, I'll wash yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections