Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 06:21 PM

831 posts, read 333,112 times

Advertisements

Essentially 2 democrats are splitting the left vote allowing the GOP candidate to take the lead in polls...I do wonder if towards the end people will leave the independent left candidate for the democrat candidate and she will squeak out a win or will the GOP win in a major upset? New poll came out today showing the GOP candidate up by a few points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 06:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
One of the scenarios that I think points to the advantages of ranked choice voting and running it until someone has a majority rather than a plurality.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:40 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,909 times
Since I live in Portland, I am paying attention! I actually like Betsy Johnson, but I’m going to vote strategically. Whichever candidate, Drazan the Republican or Johnson the independent, looks most likely to defeat Tina Kotek the progressive Democrat gets my vote. The last thing Oregon needs is for another Portland progressive with disastrous policies to get elected.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:47 PM

831 posts, read 333,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Since I live in Portland, I am paying attention! I actually like Betsy Johnson, but I’m going to vote strategically. Whichever candidate, Drazan the Republican or Johnson the independent, looks most likely to defeat Tina Kotek the progressive Democrat gets my vote. The last thing Oregon needs is for another Portland progressive with disastrous policies to get elected.
Can you inform us WHY Johnson is running as an independent? She has always been a democrat so did she lose the nomination in the primary? I was just reading the latest poll and Kotek's popularity is REALLY underwater in Oregon...like miserably. Drazan's popularity is actually in the positive.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
Can you inform us WHY Johnson is running as an independent? She has always been a democrat so did she lose the nomination in the primary? I was just reading the latest poll and Kotek's popularity is REALLY underwater in Oregon...like miserably. Drazan's popularity is actually in the positive.
Johnson never ran in the Democratic primary. She resigned from the Democratic Party shortly before leaving the State Senate. In the Senate, she was probably the most moderate member of her party. She’s always been a centrist representing a more rural district. I think she was not happy with the leftward tilt of the Democratic Party.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:42 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Oregon is a beautiful state but Portland is very weird.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:42 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times
I hear homeless has destroyed Portland.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:20 AM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
Why is she running as an independent? Because Phil Knight gave her $3M in campaign contributions to act as a spoiler to split the vote and make sure the Republican candidate would arise from the shambles.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Why is she running as an independent? Because Phil Knight gave her $3M in campaign contributions to act as a spoiler to split the vote and make sure the Republican candidate would arise from the shambles.
Oregon has a third party, the Independent Party of Oregon. They actually have a decent number of registered voters ( no doubt some by mistake, thinking the Independent Party is the same as “decline to state” a party preference ). They generally take moderate, middle of the road views on most issues. The problem as I see it is they don’t run candidates of their own. They just endorse one of the major party candidates. I think if Betsy Johnson actually ran on the Independent Party ticket, she’d have a better chance of winning. She’s actually ran some effective ads calling both Drazan and Kotek extremists.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:54 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,568,735 times
In yet another twist, Nike Co-founder Phil Knight who has previously provided Independent (rolls eyes) candidate Betsy Johnson with some $3.75M in election funding is now openly supporting GOP candidate Christine Drazan with a 1 million dollar contribution today, 10/6.

Apparently Knight was not happy with the Johnson poll numbers (not even breaking 20%) so he's directly funneling money to the candidate most believe he had been pulling for all along. Guess the ringer strategy didn't quite work out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections