Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 11:01 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

There is no Democrat running for the Utah senate but there is an Independent, and amazingly he’s giving Mike Lee a run for his money. Mitt Romney, Utah’s other senator refuses to endorse either, stating they are both friends. The Utah Democratic Party has no such qualms, they have endorsed McMullin. For those who have forgotten, Evan McMullins ran as an Independent against Trump and Clinton in 2016 and took about 21% of the vote in Utah. McMullin has stated if elected he will not caucus with either party.

Quote:
About 41% of registered Utah voters say they’d vote for Lee if the election were held today, compared to 37% who said the same for McMullin, according to a new Deseret News-Hinckley Institute of Politics poll. The 4-point margin is slightly narrower than Lee’s 5-point lead he held in a similar poll conducted in July.

However, the race tightens when only looking at Utahns who say they “definitely” plan to vote, with 42% saying they’d back Lee compared to 40% for McMullin — giving the Republican only a 2-point advantage, according to the poll. Another 10% remain undecided.
It’s within the margin of error.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:04 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,727,097 times
Hmm, I think it's a long shot FiveThirtyEight has Utah listed as solid Red. But it would be great to see smug lee tossed out of the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 12:53 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
McMullin has stated if elected he will not caucus with either party.
. He is lying, he needs to caucus with a party to get things passed for Utah or he would be worthless.

I can't wait for this charlatan to lose and go away. He will have a job at MSNBC or CNN. I will bet he will try to run for Romney's seat in 2 years when Mittens retires. I hope he finally goes in the Democrat party because he flip flopped in a lot of things including abortions.

All I say is, if Mitt Romney didn't have a lot of money and power in the state because of the Mormon church, both of them would be gone.

Lee by 12% min.

Old 10-13-2022, 01:44 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
I would love to see an independent third party person get that seat.
I would love to see more viable independent third party politicians get seats.

Utah is so very red though.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:56 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
My husband and I are going to vote for McMullin. Would love to help turn the state yellow.

I've even considered putting up a sign, which I've never done for any political candidate or issue. Don't know if I will, though.

Mike Lee has said in the past he believes there should be term limits of 2, yet here he is going for his 3rd. What has he done for Utah?

The Captain Moroni quote about Trump was so cringy and weird. Trump has endorsed him and is now claiming Romney has "abused" Lee by remaining neutral and not endorsing either. Whatever.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
My husband and I are going to vote for McMullin. Would love to help turn the state yellow.

I've even considered putting up a sign, which I've never done for any political candidate or issue. Don't know if I will, though.

Mike Lee has said in the past he believes there should be term limits of 2, yet here he is going for his 3rd. What has he done for Utah?

The Captain Moroni quote about Trump was so cringy and weird. Trump has endorsed him and is now claiming Romney has "abused" Lee by remaining neutral and not endorsing either. Whatever.

What exactly you are voting for McMullin for other than you don't like Lee or Trump? I'm from Utah and I read this charlatan since 2016. He is a Mitt Romney soldier from his presidential run from 2012 and is his pawn. He is ex-CIA and former Golden Sach. I'm a veteran and most of us don't like CIA neck ties and the bureaucracy they have created in the military that make the lives of the military miserable especially former CIA that turned political. He has flip flopped from abortion, taxes and energy and he is a war monger that will push the U.S. to war.

Mitt Romney is behind this and We can't wait to send him packing in 2 years (he will not run like he did in Mass when they figured him out) . He turned out to be a disappointment. Mitt tried to do the same thing in 2016 by backing McMullin, divide the GOP and give Utah to Hillary Clinton so Trump wouldn't get 270.

What has Mike Lee done for Utah? for starters he kept Utah from turning in a mini-California or the mess in Las Vegas and is a block in the Senate for Biden and Democrats reckless spending and left propaganda. If you like Utah the state, why you want it to be Democrat? Why don't you move to Denver, California or Las Vegas if you like that kind of politics?

What so cringy is McMulling back stabbing the people in Utah that supported him in 2016 and flip flopping and joining the Democrat party but lies that he is "independent". What is cringy and makes him the Crist of Utah is his new stance on abortions when he said something completely different in 2016 now that he takes donations from pro abortion and left donors.

We don't need a Crist in Utah regardless if he is a Mormon. Being Ex-CIA and former Golden Sach should be enough to disqualify him. On pushing for war alone he will lie and tell the people of Utah lies.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:41 PM

^We all have our own opinions, but not everyone thinks Mitt Romney is the Anti-Christ.
I like him.
I use to have a friend in Utah who worked and campaigned for Mike Lee, she adored him (I kind of liked him back then too) But with his recent actions in 2020, let's just say I am not a fan now.

I have seen some clips on TV about McMullin, he seems like a very decent guy and a good candidate.
I would love to see more Independents like him.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:42 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post

Yea, McMullin! Two votes for him here, too.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^We all have our own opinions, but not everyone thinks Mitt Romney is the Anti-Christ.
I like him.
I use to have a friend in Utah who worked and campaigned for Mike Lee, she adored him (I kind of liked him back then too) But with his recent actions in 2020, let's just say I am not a fan now.

I have seen some clips on TV about McMullin, he seems like a very decent guy and a good candidate.
I would love to see more Independents like him.
So basically there is NOT 1 legit issue that you would want to vote for McMullin other than the fact that he is anti-Trump and your #1 issue 2020 because if that's the only thing you have of Lee than you have nothing.

Are you an issue voter or vote for the person that looks nice?

What makes McMullin into a charlatan like Crist from Florida is that he flip flopped so much to get to power. You can't say you are conservative and then make a deal with the Democrat party to get their endorsement. Politics is that if you make deals and take their votes and donations you have to pay them back. They have a list and for him to say he will be "independent" is a lie. Bernie Sanders is an "independent" but votes mostly with the Democrat party.

The top issues of this election are inflation, gas, education, border, crime and war. Not 2020. For Democrats to fool themselves and keep bringing up 2020 to vote for McMullin and hate on Lee shows they have no issues and it shows because they haven't vetted McMullin. It shows how weak the Utah Democrat party is that they refuse to run a real Democrat with real liberal issues and instead support this guy that has flip flopped on issues.

Sorry, you can't be an "independent" when you take lots of money from donors (Democrats). They will want their investment back.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:01 PM

^One could argue that keeping the Republic and supporting Democratic elections might be the biggest Political Issues any of us have ever voted on. Trump did everything he could to stay in power, even knowing the American people voted for someone other than him. Some Politicians like Mike Lee, seemed willing to aid and abet him in this endeavor.

The Peaceful transfer of power is one of upmost importance. Sometimes you are going to win elections, sometimes you are going to lose them. Accept it like an adult and try again in 48 months if you still want reelection. Do not subvert the will of the American people. I personally would not vote for anyone that went along with Trump's big lie.

I was a Republican for 40 years, but sometimes you have to put America even above your party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections