Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:21 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,835 times

Advertisements

Victory was won ages ago. Remember, mission accomplished! So we can leave whenever we want and never need to surrender. Someone just likes us to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Default One lie supports another

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Victory was won ages ago. Remember, mission accomplished! So we can leave whenever we want and never need to surrender. Someone just likes us to be there.

Among other notable passages:

• Steve Hadley, then the deputy national security adviser, said about the erroneous assertion about Saddam Hussein seeking uranium, included in the State of the Union address of 2003: “Signing off on these facts is my responsibility. … And in this case, I blew it. I think the only solution is for me to resign.” The offer “was rejected almost out of hand by others present,” McClellan writes.

• Bush was “clearly irritated, … steamed,” when McClellan informed him that chief economic adviser Larry Lindsey had told The Wall Street Journal that a possible war in Iraq could cost from $100 billion to $200 billion: “‘It’s unacceptable,’ Bush continued, his voice rising. ‘He shouldn’t be talking about that.’”

• “As press secretary, I spent countless hours defending the administration from the podium in the White House briefing room. Although the things I said then were sincere, I have since come to realize that some of them were badly misguided.”

• “History appears poised to confirm what most Americans today have decided: that the decision to invade Iraq was a serious strategic blunder. No one, including me, can know with absolute certainty how the war will be viewed decades from now when we can more fully understand its impact. What I do know is that war should only be waged when necessary, and the Iraq war was not necessary.”

Wow can Bush spin a tale

Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
I'll ask the same question in the other thread tuborg. Are you going to spam every unrelated thread with this story - that you have already started a thread with?

You seem desperate - I'm sure people will chime in on the thread in due time.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
McCain: I will never surrender!

Dear Lord and the Republicans are worried?

the GOP can't see this train wreck?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:54 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,246,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
McCain: I will never surrender!
He's been watching Galaxy Quest: "Never give up. Never surrender." It worked out OK in the movie . . .

Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Not sure how war is 'Conservative', but fair enough. If we pulled out of Iraq, we would be letting terrorist organizations think they won..meaning more support for them, more frequent attacks, etc. As long as we are keeping pressure on them, we can at the very least prevent large scale attacks at home..

Yes, we got ourselves into a mess, but I don't think it's time to call it quits until we at least finish the job.
Interesting.

So would this include al Qaeda at double strength or is the full strength they're at now occasion for us to leave? Latest estimates say they're stronger now, and in more places now, than before the War began. Which job are we intent on finishing?

Before you mention the Government up and running, strong enough to support itself spin, I'm curious if you recall how long it took the US to attain this stature? This may help us keep things in perspective regarding how long the mission will last.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Latest estimates say they're stronger now, and in more places now, than before the War began.
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the good news out of Iraq.

Free Preview - WSJ.com

Quote:
Iraqi Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mohammed al-Askari said that after the most recent military operations in Mosul, extremist group al Qaeda in Iraq was in a "confused state." Officials have said the group had gravitated to the city after being challenged elsewhere in the country.
Commentary » Blog Archive » Al Qaeda Weakening . . .

Quote:
The Al Qaeda terror group in Iraq appears to be at its weakest state since it gained an initial foothold in the aftermath of the U.S.-led invasion five years ago, the acting commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East said Wednesday in an Associated Press interview. Army Lt. Gen. Martin Dempsey, who assumed interim command of U.S. Central Command on March 28, acknowledged that Al Qaeda remains a relentless foe and has not disappeared as a serious threat to stability. But he said an accelerated U.S. and Iraq campaign to pressure Al Qaeda has paid big dividends. “Our forces and the Iraqi forces have certainly disrupted Al Qaeda, probably to a level that we haven’t seen at any time in my experience,” said Dempsey, who served in Iraq in the initial stages as a division commander and later as head of the military organization in charge of training Iraqi security forces.
I know this good news is not good news for the dems/libs, or for Obama, since he advocated cutting and running.

How sad that all Americans could not find this news "good".

Old 05-27-2008, 09:25 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,605,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the good news out of Iraq.

Free Preview - WSJ.com

Commentary » Blog Archive » Al Qaeda Weakening . . .

I know this good news is not good news for the dems/libs, or for Obama, since he advocated cutting and running.

How sad that all Americans could not find this news "good".
It's Excellent news, pardon us if we can't feel a little cynical of the right's 5 year, multi-billion dollar, 20,000+ serious injuries, 4000+ dead jumping for joy regarding progress over an enemy which didn't really exist in the theater when the conflict began, party.

Ah shucks, I missed the happy part, I apologize profusely. It is indeed "Good News." I'll be certain to check - undoubtedly the President will be bringing the troops home now, victory is certain, Democracy has prevailed, and thank God the gas prices can now go down a tad.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Are you really so clueless? Your intense hatred of "W" is clouding your common sense, I think.

We will be in Iraq, at some level, for quite a while.Even if all violence stopped tomorrow, we will still be there.

I have no problem with that. It is the right thing to do. To support their fledgling democracy and help them rebuild their country.

Just as I had no problem being in Germany, Japan, S. Korea, Serbia.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:44 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,554 times
The loons cannot stand to hear all the progress being made in Iraq or they are too stupid to understand it.
I can see it now, with the last 6 months progress I can see the democrats coming in and taking credit for all the work in Iraq.
Yes, they hate Bush so bad they have put our troops at risk just for being themselves.
They pretend they care about them, they pretend they care about the Iraqi people and they inside could care less. They want this to fail, the day after Bush leaves office they will do the normal loon thing and think it is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections