Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:27 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
In comments to reporters on Thursday, McCain, in referring to Iraq, said "I can tell you that it is succeeding. I can look you in the eye and tell you it's succeeding. We have drawn down to pre-surge levels."

In fact, as the Obama campaign was quick to point out, the troop level in Iraq is at about 155,000 right now, well above the 130,000 that would mark a return to pre-surge levels.
It just keeps sinking in.

Was it a senior moment? Maybe. I don't know. But here's what I know: A Commander in Chief who is bragging about surge levels needs to know how many troops he has.

You know, I've been giving McCain a free pass in the area of military knowledge, foreign policy, and international relations. Mostly, because of his service record and years of experience.

But a mistake like this makes me wonder... how much more experienced is he really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
His "military experience" was 30 years ago! Things have changed since then.
A very good point, indeed.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 AM

So.... is this old news now?

Why aren't people more concerned about this? Not knowing how many troops you have strikes me as a bigger mistake than getting Shiite and Sunni transposed.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
His "military experience" was 30 years ago! Things have changed since then.
Yes and he's been the ranking member on the Senate Committee on Armed Services. Want to compare that to Obama and Clinton?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:40 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Yes and he's been the ranking member on the Senate Committee on Armed Services. Want to compare that to Obama and Clinton?

So to add injury to insult a Ranking Member of the Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committee has no idea the troop strength in the most contentious theater of War on the Planet?!!

This last gaffe has left me wondering what Senator McCain has accomplished while on the Committee as well.

What makes McCain strong on foreign policy and military leadership? Specifically?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
So to add injury to insult a Ranking Member of the Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committee has no idea the troop strength in the most contentious theater of War on the Planet?!!

This last gaffe has left me wondering what Senator McCain has accomplished while on the Committee as well.

What makes McCain strong on foreign policy and military leadership? Specifically?
I never defended him on his remark. He should know the numbers; I don't know the reason he said that. I was challenging the point raised that his experience is "a joke."

Old 06-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I never defended him on his remark. He should know the numbers; I don't know the reason he said that. I was challenging the point raised that his experience is "a joke."
Gotcha.

I'm just curious what that experience is and why his appraisals of the situation in what are claimed to be his strongest areas, are coming out so poorly. I would expect an expert to dominate in his field of expertise. Thus far he has been very disappointing in the area where I expected his strongest showing.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 AM

540 posts, read 963,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Tying Obama to George Bush is going to be even more interesting.

Obama really is like George Bush -- little experience, a Washington "outsider," promised to being Unity to the country, no military experience -- there are a LOT of comparisons and most of them are not flattering.

I agree....I agree with most of Bush's foreign policy and monetary ideals, but he was completely inexperienced, he made the mistake of surrounding himself with people with their own agenda's and people that would not question those people, he showed no interest in working with the Democrats, and was pretty incompetant at following through on most of his policies.

I really see Obama following suit by not working with Republicans (especially if the Dems gain a bigger majority in the fall), ignoring his military and civilian advisors that don't agree with his plans, and glowing with inexperience.

McCain may share a lot of beliefs with Bush, but he has shown time and again that he will break with the party, he will work with Democrats, and he will surround himself with brilliant (and well-rounded) advisors and will take their advice.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
I agree....I agree with most of Bush's foreign policy and monetary ideals, but he was completely inexperienced, he made the mistake of surrounding himself with people with their own agenda's and people that would not question those people, he showed no interest in working with the Democrats, and was pretty incompetant at following through on most of his policies.

I really see Obama following suit by not working with Republicans (especially if the Dems gain a bigger majority in the fall), ignoring his military and civilian advisors that don't agree with his plans, and glowing with inexperience.

McCain may share a lot of beliefs with Bush, but he has shown time and again that he will break with the party, he will work with Democrats, and he will surround himself with brilliant (and well-rounded) advisors and will take their advice.
Then how do you explain away Senator Obama's respect among Republican legislatures' regarding his work ethic and insistence on reaching out to them?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 AM

540 posts, read 963,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Then how do you explain away Senator Obama's respect among Republican legislatures' regarding his work ethic and insistence on reaching out to them?

Which Republican's? I'd say his record of voting with his party 96.4% of the time is telling enough. Here is a good example of Obama's ethics and "change." Obama played hardball in first Chicago campaign - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections