Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,216,156 times

Advertisements

did we already have the election and I missed it??
Obama is NOT president
hate to bust your bubble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:06 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,866,724 times
first of all, barack obama is half black. second of all, we are how far away from the election? does anyone take any of the OP's posts seriously? only in san francisco! not only predicting an election before it happens, but predicting that he will be the best president we've ever had. good god!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 AM

602 posts, read 1,964,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
I don't think it's that significant. Sure, it's a first, but it's just the manifestation of the way our society has been going for over half a century. Black people have been accepted for several decades and have had significant political careers for a long while now. If a black man was a nominee in 1967, I'd agree about the historical aspect of it all.

Here is what I call the official "hate" list from a Gallup poll in 2007:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/gallup_20070219_diversity.png (broken link)

See, black people are nowhere near as mistrusted as others. Atheists are apparently barely viewed as human. Now if we get a 72-year old Hispanic lesbian atheist in office in the next decade...now THAT would be historical. These things should be taken in context.

I also find it offending to think that only black men face adversity in this country. There are Hispanics in Texas that have it way worse than Obama ever did chilling in Hawaii or in the Pacific. Or maybe some Appalachian white boys whose alcoholic, unemployed stepdaddies beat them every day while waiting for the first of the month. Yeah, I'm sure they REALLY have all of the advantages in life. Imagine being a person of Arabic decent trying to board an airplane. Everyone thinks you are a terrorist plotting to take down the country. Obviously the country isn't perfect, but come on. It's one thing to stoop down to playing the race card, but you don't have to pile on an entire new level of hyperbole. I hate the entire concept of race. I wish we could jump forward 1500 years and we'd all be the same color due to the natural course of mixed couples through the generations. Really, the biggest barrier is CLASS more than race. The way I see it, white people and black people got more in common than they do with rich people. And that's the damn truth.
Wow. I have to say I agree strongly with that last paragraph.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 AM

602 posts, read 1,964,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
2008 is a historical year. It will be the first time in the country's long history that a black man will be elected to take the helm as Commander in Chief. This is absolutely incredible. He promises to be the best that we've ever had. He will have done so by being extraodinarily dignified in the face of a hostile media, political snipers, hateful, narrow-minded voters who can't stomach the idea of a black man being in charge. He will have prevailed by overcoming the type of special adversity that only black men confront in this country. I'm talking about the adversity of being given less consideration than others at every turn. I'm talking about the adversity of being considered inferior as a matter of course. Nothing was handed to Barack Obama. He earned every single step and worked exceptionally hard. He is the man of steel. He has demonstrated the range and versatility to navigate his way through the maze and road blocks that define the road for brilliant black people, road blocks that whites don't face. Morgan Freeman said once that adversity does not build character, it reveals it, and in Barack Obama you who are able, are witnessing a man with the type of character that has been unrecognizable and absent from the White House since JFK.

This man stands out even more when we consider what we have been living through these past 7 years. This country has been controlled by a man named George who has no more business being president than Curious George. In fact, he looks like Curious George. Bush has done nothing for this country. He lied to go to war, then attacked a sovereign nation unprovoked, killing thousands and thousands of innocent men, women, and children. He has killed Americans by lying. He has sent this country to a place where we don't belong, into a war that we cannot win militarily. You cannot win an ideological war with greater military power no more than you can stamp out AIDS by banning same sex marriages. George Bush is inarticulate despite going to Yale. He is decisive in his ineptness and as the Europeans say, "frighteningly ignorant." Many people in this country are starving for someone in the White House with some dignity for God's sake! That certainly excludes McCain, who is too a pathetic man. McCain's definition of dignity is to speak in a mummified fashion, quietly praying to God that people don't recognize that he is representing a party that told us that Bush was the best candidate it could produce. TWICE! He doesn't want people to recognize that he represents a party that has done nothing right.

This is Barack Obama's time and the country will benefit immensely. It is a critical moment in history and a sign of progression. He is backed by extraordinary, enlightened, progressive people of all races. Either embrace and support the moment, or be trampled by it and take your seat on the bottom.
Your post, as these crazy kids say today, is made of fail. Your threat ("embrace and support...or be trampled by it") is an epic fail.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
2008 is a historical year. It will be the first time in the country's long history that a black man will be elected to take the helm as Commander in Chief. This is absolutely incredible. He promises to be the best that we've ever had. He will have done so by being extraodinarily dignified in the face of a hostile media, political snipers, hateful, narrow-minded voters who can't stomach the idea of a black man being in charge. He will have prevailed by overcoming the type of special adversity that only black men confront in this country. I'm talking about the adversity of being given less consideration than others at every turn. I'm talking about the adversity of being considered inferior as a matter of course. Nothing was handed to Barack Obama. He earned every single step and worked exceptionally hard. He is the man of steel. He has demonstrated the range and versatility to navigate his way through the maze and road blocks that define the road for brilliant black people, road blocks that whites don't face. Morgan Freeman said once that adversity does not build character, it reveals it, and in Barack Obama you who are able, are witnessing a man with the type of character that has been unrecognizable and absent from the White House since JFK.

This man stands out even more when we consider what we have been living through these past 7 years. This country has been controlled by a man named George who has no more business being president than Curious George. In fact, he looks like Curious George. Bush has done nothing for this country. He lied to go to war, then attacked a sovereign nation unprovoked, killing thousands and thousands of innocent men, women, and children. He has killed Americans by lying. He has sent this country to a place where we don't belong, into a war that we cannot win militarily. You cannot win an ideological war with greater military power no more than you can stamp out AIDS by banning same sex marriages. George Bush is inarticulate despite going to Yale. He is decisive in his ineptness and as the Europeans say, "frighteningly ignorant." Many people in this country are starving for someone in the White House with some dignity for God's sake! That certainly excludes McCain, who is too a pathetic man. McCain's definition of dignity is to speak in a mummified fashion, quietly praying to God that people don't recognize that he is representing a party that told us that Bush was the best candidate it could produce. TWICE! He doesn't want people to recognize that he represents a party that has done nothing right.

This is Barack Obama's time and the country will benefit immensely. It is a critical moment in history and a sign of progression. He is backed by extraordinary, enlightened, progressive people of all races. Either embrace and support the moment, or be trampled by it and take your seat on the bottom.
2008 may indeed be a historical year. barack obama has the chance to be the first irish-american president we have seen in a long time. let's take a closer look at him. he was born in hawaii, spent his childhood just getting high and living a lavish life on the most beautiful oceans on earth. after attending an elite private school, he took advantage of affirmative action and went to college. he was able to abuse affirmative action enough to get his JD from harvard. it was then that he decided that he would not work a day in his life. no, he would become a community organizer. in order to succeed in chicago politics, he had to shake his irish roots. he decided to marry michelle for political reasons and form a political partnership. one very similar to the clintons. oh, and I am still scratching my head trying to think of a road block that obama faced in his life. so when he decided to run for the US senate, he was getting crushed in the primaries. yes, this incredibly pathetic candidate was in 3rd place for his own parties nomination. then legal problems caused the front runner to be very unpopular. so barack was "handed" the nomination. then he faced off in the general election, but his opponent dropped out of the race. the republicans rushed to get someone to oppose him just 3 months before the general elections. they got alan keys from maryland who had no connection to chicago. he didn't stand a chance, so obama was "handed" the senate seat. it's looking more and more like obama is the truly pathetic man. I don't like john mccain, but he has served his country in ways that obama can't even have nightmares about. you call him a man of steel, I call him a cubic zirconia. he might look like the real thing, but he's not worth crap. the only reason that barack's words echo is that the words are bouncing around inside an empty candidate.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,176,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
first of all, barack obama is half black. second of all, we are how far away from the election? does anyone take any of the OP's posts seriously? only in san francisco! not only predicting an election before it happens, but predicting that he will be the best president we've ever had. good god!
He's half black? Well I guess that means he's not really all that significant in terms of his skin color. We've had other Presidents I am sure that had some black people in his family. I have, and I'm lily white.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
He's half black? Well I guess that means he's not really all that significant in terms of his skin color. We've had other Presidents I am sure that had some black people in his family. I have, and I'm lily white.
somebody needed to post a reply to the original post. the original was hard to read without bursting into laughter.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 AM

31,687 posts, read 41,086,927 times
or applause

Old 06-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
or applause
well, I guess if you like applause for people who like to preach hate. sure. but most of us are laughing, just so you know that.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
well, I guess if you like applause for people who like to preach hate. sure. but most of us are laughing, just so you know that.

Who is "most of us" and how can you speak for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections