Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

McCain's Platform:

Carbon Emissions Reduction:
60% reduction by 2050

Alternatives to Oil:
Strongly supports incentives for nuclear energy
Opposes incentives for wind and solar energy.
Supports Yucca Mountains

Gas Tax Suspension:
Stated in April he supports one time suspension of federal gas tax. Not clear if he still feels this way.

Obama's Platform:

Carbon Emissions Reduction:
80% reduction by 2050

Alternatives to Oil:
Cautiously supports incentives for nuclear energy, after storage and safety concerns are addressed.
Supports incentives for wind and solar energy.
Opposes Yucca Mountains

Gas Tax Suspension:
Opposed McCain's plan for a one time suspension of federal gas tax.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
The other day he highlighted his position on the gas tax as a contrast to Obama. It is a non issue now since no one is trying to get it enacted and we are in the middle of June.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
They are both essentially the same on energy.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The other day he highlighted his position on the gas tax as a contrast to Obama. It is a non issue now since no one is trying to get it enacted and we are in the middle of June.
Thanks, Tuborg. BTW, my purpose in posting this is to have an easy platform comparison for people who want to discuss issues. Something for people to refer back to when issues come up. I'm going to post similar platform comparison on all the issues (I've already done Education and Health Care).

I'm collecting posts that discuss policy and platform (not gossip) for a thread that I've asked the moderator to sticky. I know you've started quite a few on a variety of issues. Do you have any posts to contribute?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:35 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
For important as solutions for electricity generation are, solutions for private vehicle transport may be more important.

Where do they stand on hydrogen fuel-cell and battery technology? The Japanese seem to be making progress.

In any case, what do "incentives" mean?

Overall, I tend to prefer tax credits, maybe research grants. But even those are packed with political implications. What other kinds of incentives may be economically sensible?

Perhaps we need to look at the Japanese funding model for some clues.

Ethanol is a bunch of pork and does collateral damage, another black mark on the Bush Administration.

On conventional fuels, perhaps you should also mention where they stand with respect to domestic oil drilling, building new refineries, coal conversion, even waste-to-heat (does not seem to be as widespread in the US as in Europe).

What about geothermal?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They are both essentially the same on energy.
I can't say I agree with that. They are different on how to deal with the Oil Giants in terms of taxation. I really don't think either has defined themselves much beyond the traditional do's and don'ts. I have heard Obama say things while campaigning in the primaries that were different but I am not sure they were not said because of the location. He was talking in Michingan about seed money to develop alternative batteries and locating the plants theres. That brings up the question of who would control the innovations from a patent perspective and who would determine where their operating base would be located. Will it be Sunnyvale or will it be Dearborn?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Obama voted for the Cheney Energy Bill, which granted tax cuts to oil companies where they really don't need them.

McCain actually voted against that bill.

Score one for old McCain's "better judgment" on the issue in my book.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:06 AM

bale002
For important as solutions for electricity generation are, solutions for private vehicle transport may be more important.

Where do they stand on hydrogen fuel-cell and battery technology? The Japanese seem to be making progress.

In any case, what do "incentives" mean?

Great questions. This is a global crisis and will the solutions to our energy problems be American in making or will they be imported? What are the political risks to a President and Congress that allows us to become dependent on Foreign ingenuity?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Obama voted for the Cheney Energy Bill, which granted tax cuts to oil companies where they really don't need them.

McCain actually voted against that bill.

Score one for old McCain's "better judgment" on the issue in my book.
Some links for thought

Obama Hits McCain on the Economy - From The Road

This article is about the McCain Cheney relationship and has a good read on the energy bill

What should McCain do about Cheney? - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080611/pl_politico/11000 - broken link)

The actual vote broken down several ways:
U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 109th Congress - 1st Session

as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate

Vote Summary

Question: On the Conference Report (Conference Report H. R. 6 )
Vote Number: 213 Vote Date: July 29, 2005, 12:50 PM
Required For Majority: 1/2 Vote Result: Conference Report Agreed to
Measure Number: H.R. 6
Measure Title: A bill to ensure jobs for our future with secure, affordable, and reliable energy.
Vote Counts: YEAs 74
NAYs 26
Vote Summary By Senator Name By Vote Position By Home State

Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
McCain and Obama are interchangeable sock puppets. It's why Democrats and Republicans talk a lot about energy independence but haven't done a da** thing about it for as many years as they have been talking about it. Both have been endorsed by the Trilaterals ensuring that whoever becomes President, the trilaterals will get a man in the white house. Both men sit on the Council on Foreign Relations.

Have you ever wondered how Barack Obama came out of nowhere (like Jimmy Carter) for the Democrats or how John McCain rose from the dead (no money, no support) to become the Republican candidate?

So my answer to your question is both men will do exactly what the Trilaterals, CFR, Bilderberg Group wants them to do. They can say whatever they want while running for office. No one will call them on it in 2050 as they will be dead or in Obama's case, close to it. No one will call them on it now because the people who own the media are also wealthy members of those groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections