Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,896,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Hmmm...actually I don't see a difference (except in severity perhaps)

Here is the definition of "racism" from the American Heritage Dictionary...

rac·ism (rā'sĭz'əm)
n.
  1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

In #2, the operative words "discrimination" and "prejudice" are very subjective in our society. For example, someone may consider blonde people attractive -- which technically, is discrimination. However the reasons may be anything along the lines of wanting to be around someone of a particular culture (because you like the traits that usually come associated with people of that culture), or because you think blondes are dumb push-overs, or simply because you like the "look" that people with blonde hair have. So the underlying feelings behind the action are more important than the action itself.

A chronic problem in America is that we still cannot get past the "this race = this personality type". Most Americans will freely admit that you have good and bad (successful/failures, attractive/ugly, hard-working/lazy, etc.) in all races...but they have a harder time admitting that they do in fact stereotype people based on race. Not that there is anything inherently wrong with stereotyping (it's human nature)...unless you allow that stereotype to cloud your understanding (or be more important) of how that person really is. Then, you have some problems.
the difference I see in the statement is that in one, I feel I am superior to him because of his color. in the other, I am not specific as to why I am not voting for him. maybe I feel that a white candidate would be in my best interest. I don't think that makes a person a racist. I choose to go with definition #1 for the definition of a racist. the problem is, if you use definition #2, then everyone is a racist. I stereotype every day. I am a prejudice person, but it has nothing to do with race. if I see a white guy with a greatful dead t-shirt, long hair, and a beard, I assume he smokes pot. it's a prejudgment. prejudgment doesn't have a color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,495,924 times
Quote:
Well Al Sharpton's comment was historically inaccurate ("we" as in African-Americans have no direct claim on the Ancient Egyptians...if that is what he was referring to), however that is true. And it doesn't really "imply" that Black people are superior to Whites...

If I say that the Aztecs established cities while the Pilgrims were still wandering around in the frozen woods, is that implying that South Americans are "superior" to White people in any way?

Why else say it?

If I said, "Europeans were building empires and skyscrapers while Africans lived in huts".... what other purpose would I have than to make a racial/cultural statement? To point out a historic fact for the hell of it?

Don't make excuses for what he said.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Well Al Sharpton's comment was historically inaccurate ("we" as in African-Americans have no direct claim on the Ancient Egyptians...if that is what he was referring to), however that is true. And it doesn't really "imply" that Black people are superior to Whites...

If I say that the Aztecs established cities while the Pilgrims were still wandering around in the frozen woods, is that implying that South Americans are "superior" to White people in any way?
you know what I say about it? I don't care how we got here, we're here. how about some focus on making this country great again. people can argue history all they want, it's good to know, but it isn't important when dealing with today. who built the pyramids doesn't solve iraq. the sphinx doesn't provide health care. I honestly can't even believe that race and religion is an issue in this election. what the hell are people smoking?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,799,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the difference I see in the statement is that in one, I feel I am superior to him because of his color. in the other, I am not specific as to why I am not voting for him. maybe I feel that a white candidate would be in my best interest. I don't think that makes a person a racist. I choose to go with definition #1 for the definition of a racist. the problem is, if you use definition #2, then everyone is a racist. I stereotype every day. I am a prejudice person, but it has nothing to do with race. if I see a white guy with a greatful dead t-shirt, long hair, and a beard, I assume he smokes pot. it's a prejudgment. prejudgment doesn't have a color.
I see where you are coming from (hahaha...really, I do ), but the problem is that currently, if you pre-judge someone based on their race unfavorably (usually), it is understood as racism. By your application of the definition, a Black person voting for Obama because he is Black is no more racist than a White person not voting for Obama because he is Black. Personally...I do not agree with that. I think (and it's an empty hope, I know) is that people should vote for whoever they think can do the job -- no matter if they are Black, Jewish, female, handicapped...whatever. The reality is your skin color has very little to do with your talents and abilities. However people let superficialities get in the way of them seeing that...which is a real shame I think.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:00 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,799,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why else say it?

If I said, "Europeans were building empires and skyscrapers while Africans lived in huts".... what other purpose would I have than to make a racial/cultural statement? To point out a historic fact for the hell of it?

Don't make excuses for what he said.
It's not an excuse; and he probably said it because the general public likes to forget that Black people have a whole lot more to their history than what we have experienced in America; trust me. I had a high school world cultures class and an African-American history class in college where students of all backgrounds openly admitted that they were "really impressed" and "had no idea" Africa was as diverse or developed or what have you. On top of that most people who hold pride in their culture do the exact same thing (you hear Greek people priding their history over that of Italians...you hear Jewish people priding their history over that of Catholics...). So it's really a non-issue overall.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I see where you are coming from (hahaha...really, I do ), but the problem is that currently, if you pre-judge someone based on their race unfavorably (usually), it is understood as racism. By your application of the definition, a Black person voting for Obama because he is Black is no more racist than a White person not voting for Obama because he is Black. Personally...I do not agree with that. I think (and it's an empty hope, I know) is that people should vote for whoever they think can do the job -- no matter if they are Black, Jewish, female, handicapped...whatever. The reality is your skin color has very little to do with your talents and abilities. However people let superficialities get in the way of them seeing that...which is a real shame I think.
you would hope that, but it isn't going to happen. I would vote for a fish if the fish was for limited government! of all the people who dislike obama, less than 50% disagree with his policies. same goes for mccain. we get arguments like religion, age, race, what church, warmonger. politics became like this because we, as americans, let it.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
It's not an excuse; and he probably said it because the general public likes to forget that Black people have a whole lot more to their history than what we have experienced in America; trust me. I had a high school world cultures class and an African-American history class in college where students of all backgrounds openly admitted that they were "really impressed" and "had no idea" Africa was as diverse or developed or what have you. On top of that most people who hold pride in their culture do the exact same thing (you hear Greek people priding their history over that of Italians...you hear Jewish people priding their history over that of Catholics...). So it's really a non-issue overall.
hey, I am italian and I eat greeks for lunch! well, not really, but I eat gyros sometimes.

how could people actually have no idea that africa was a leader in technology. I mean, go to egypt. they still have a hard time explaining the pyramids. I think that all countries contributed, and all still do.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.
Quote:
If four in 10 white Americans are willing to admit to a pollster that their friends, family and co-workers might not vote for an African-American because of his race, how many really hold that view? More.
Quote:
Right now, Obama is running well behind the generic Democrat, and McCain is running well ahead of the generic Republican. That means when people are asked about supporting Democrats for Congress, the generic Democrat for Congress does as well as 15 points better than the real-life Democratic candidate for president.
Good analysis from a favorite Lib.

Posted in the other thread on "race".

Old 06-14-2008, 09:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,832,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Look at sunshines quotes, and you'll see that she's implying that blacks are voting for Obama because they are racist.
Because they factually are. Exit polls in mississippi asked blacks why they voted for obama and 5 out of 10 said because he's black. You'll harp on wv when 2 in 10 said they voted white because she was white, but you're not willing to see irrational prejudice in your own race.

Obama is factually racist. He participated in a hijacked catholic church spewing hatred towards white as a false sense of unity for over 20 yrs. He chose now to leave for political aspiration, not for sudden awakening of consciousness. Slime is as slime does

I don't trust him now because of the way he did hillary, and his own personal history with that church. When McCain is elected, you'll be disappointed, and you'll blame white people naturally. But at no point will the black community see it's own flaws, nor will elitist left see its own unqualified arrogance, nor will either of these groups ever see with true eyes what the full weight and scope that this job is really about.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:35 AM

617 posts, read 2,078,304 times
Well, I'm white, I live in WV and I don't support Obama. I suppose the easiest way to explain all that is to call me racist. Whatever. Label me any way you like. Ignore the fact that I'd vote for Colin Powell in a heartbeat over any candidate either party presented this political season. Ignore the countless kids with varying shades of skin who have lived in my home (not a foster parent, I just seem to attract kids who need a temporary home). Ignore everything about the way I've lived my life for almost 50 years and the way I've raised my children for the past 30 years. Call me racist because you can't face the fact that some of us just don't trust your chosen candidate to lead this country.

Because if you can label me as a racist, then you don't have to address the flaws within your own political philosophies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections