Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Maybe he forgot what the 4th of July means to this country. Maybe he thinks it's just another Friday. That's entirely possible.
Hmmm, which is the more appropriate way to celebrate the meaning of a patriotic holiday devoted to the birth of our nation?

A. Drinking beer
B. Shooting guns into the air
C. Going to a sale at Macy's
D. Holding a political debate to determine the next US President.

Last edited by normie; 06-17-2008 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Hmmm, which is the more appropriate way to celebrate the meaning of a patriotic holiday devoted to the birth of our nation?

A. Drinking beer
C. Holding a political debate to determine the next US President.
Oh, and here's some more food for thought:

July 4th celebrates signing the Declaration of Independence, a remarkable document that was all about change. There hadn't been a document like it before. Everything about the American Revolution, down to our military strategy, was a change. July 4th is all about people wanting something different from "politics as usual."

I thought Father's Day was a perfect day for Obama. But looks like July 4th is even better. When you think about it, the Obama campaign has many of the same ideals as our forefathers--they're reigniting the real spirit of '76.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Good post. I always want to ask the Obamaphiles to ponder how Mr. Obama, if faced with what McCain faced during his capture/torture at the hands of the Vietnamese, would have held up. It's an interesting thing to think about.

Lots of people BESIDES John McCain ( REALLY?! ) have been tortured...it doesn't make them presidential material....either.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

A. Drinking beer
C. Going to a sale at Macy's
D. Holding a political debate to determine the next US President.
Normie, Normie, Normie ..... I think you're playing with me , but your point is well taken. But c'mon and let's get real. Do you think the majority of Americans who vote in elections will think this way?

Not.

So on the one hand by all means you are right. It would be an exceptionally wonderful way to recognize the day. But MOST people (not you and me) will be doing numbers 1, 2 and 3.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Do you think the majority of Americans who vote in elections will think this way?
They will if it's presented to them that way.

All it takes is a few newscasters. If, on a Monday they announce the debate will be held on the 4th as a special way of honoring an important holiday... by Tuesday everyone in America will be saying the exact same thing.

The power of the media. And, they'll probably talk it up so much that a debate on the 4th of July will become a tradition, too.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
Normie, while I truly admire your idealism, I'm afraid not. I wish you were right, but people are just too addicted to their leisure time.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Normie, while I truly admire your idealism, I'm afraid not. I wish you were right, but people are just too addicted to their leisure time.
You're right about the leisure time. But watch what happens with the networks in about ten days. If the debate is indeed scheduled for July 4th, they will put a patriotic holiday spin on it. They want viewers, and they're very good at getting them. In the end they will get about as many viewers as they ever get for a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections