Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:41 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times

Advertisements

Anyone wonder why Barack won't take McCain up on more Town Hall style debates yet agrees to just one .... on the 4th of July? (instead of the 10 suggested by McCain).

Curious, isn't it? Maybe he's just a little nervous without the words written by others scrolling past his eyes on a teleprompter?

Will Obama be successful in avoiding unscripted events? With the networks firmly implanted in his corner ... probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Maybe because McCain wanted to do 10 before the Democratic Convention.

Which would basically be 1 a week.

Which would cut WAY into campaign time.

I wouldn't be too sure about McCain acing any of these.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Maybe because McCain wanted to do 10 before the Democratic Convention.
They would also be before the Republican Convention.

He's chicken.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
McCain has had plenty of more campaign time as compared to Obama so far - Obama was entrenched in the Primaries for so long.

I seriously doubt Obama is too "chicken" to take on Mccain in debate. We shall see at the first debate now, right?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:05 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They would also be before the Republican Convention.

He's chicken.
I highly doubt that he's chicken to take on a flip flopping, borderline stupid, forgetful, confused and funny looking old man. Obama will take on McCain, and wipe up the floor with him, on his own terms.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:14 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Doesn't this kind of debate fit right in with the messiah's new kind of politics? Why, he's supposed to be the kind of politician America has never seen before, have been waiting ages for such a lofty, lofty figure.

Where's the barf emoicon when you need it.

Face it - Obama looks like a cowardly, girly-man for rejecting such an idea.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Anyone wonder why Barack won't take McCain up on more Town Hall style debates yet agrees to just one .... on the 4th of July?
I don't know that July 4th is a definite plan, but it makes sense. It's a holiday, which means maximum coverage on the nightly news. Since businesses are closed, there usually isn't much else to report. Which means it's likely to be the big news story for the whole weekend. It's also a date that won't interfere with a packed campaign schedule.

Sanrene's been trying to make a case that everyone's too busy eating BBQ on the 4th of July to watch a debate. That would be an ok argument in the 1950s. But in this day and age of tivo it's dumb, dontcha think? Videos will be online and it'll be played over and over again on tv. More people have seen debates this year than ever in history--and no matter what date they are held.

Nice try, though

Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama looks like a cowardly, girly-man for rejecting such an idea.
LOL, and if he went along with the proposal you'd say he looks like a cowardly, girly-man for letting McCain call the shots!

Just remember after January it's President Girly-man.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I highly doubt that he's chicken to take on a flip flopping, borderline stupid, forgetful, confused and funny looking old man. Obama will take on McCain, and wipe up the floor with him, on his own terms.
don't describe obama like that. simple fact is, obama has looked HORRIBLE in some of the debates. he clearly is a scripted person, I don't think that anyone could argue that. I also think he is afraid for mainstream to see him and hear about his record. see, 10%-15% of americans voted in the primaries. that leaves a lot of folks out there who have no idea who obama is, and when they find out, they will cast a vote against him without knowing too much about mccain. I really hate to be the one to tell this to obama supporters, HE IS NOT A MAINSTREAM CANDIDATE! mainstream american isn't ultra-liberal.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This is productive chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't know that July 4th is a definite plan, but it makes sense. It's a holiday, which means maximum coverage on the nightly news. Since businesses are closed, there usually isn't much else to report. Which means it's likely to be the big news story for the whole weekend. It's also a date that won't interfere with a packed campaign schedule.

Sanrene's been trying to make a case that everyone's too busy eating BBQ on the 4th of July to watch a debate. That would be an ok argument in the 1950s. But in this day and age of tivo it's dumb, dontcha think? Videos will be online and it'll be played over and over again on tv. More people have seen debates this year than ever in history--and no matter what date they are held.

Nice try, though
July 4th is the date that Obama offered. That is definite. And just as any politician worth his salt puts out certain news stories on a Friday when everyone is leaving for the weekend, the same will happen with a 4th of July debate.

Sure those of us who are political junkies will watch, but for the most part people will be with their friends, families, watching fireworks, and will completely forget to watch or Tivo.

Obama is scared silly of any unscripted venue. This is so painfully obvious. He has made all his mistakes when he didn't have the teleprompter. I'm confident he'll continue to do so until such time as people see him for the empty suit that he is.

You're right about one thing ..... clips of the debate will be all over the news that weekend and then die a natural death by the time everyone is watching again. Still, with the networks in his pocket, Obama will enjoy seeing the better part of his performance (if there is one) re-played ad nauseum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Just remember after January it's President Girly-man.
Don't count your chickens and be careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
don't describe obama like that. simple fact is, obama has looked HORRIBLE in some of the debates. he clearly is a scripted person, I don't think that anyone could argue that. I also think he is afraid for mainstream to see him and hear about his record. see, 10%-15% of americans voted in the primaries. that leaves a lot of folks out there who have no idea who obama is, and when they find out, they will cast a vote against him without knowing too much about mccain. I really hate to be the one to tell this to obama supporters, HE IS NOT A MAINSTREAM CANDIDATE! mainstream american isn't ultra-liberal.
Exactly right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections