Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,349 times

Advertisements

Politicians do what they have to do to get elected. If not wearing a lapel would cost him some votes, then why not wear one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,465,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
True patriotism is not displayed on one’s lapel. The flag is the symbol of our nation; it is not meant to be a fashion statement. Do no dishonor to the flag lest you dishonor the nation for which it stands.
EXACTLY!!!! and I'm surprised a Marine would post this but I guess it's just any excuse to slam Obama. My husband is a former Marine and has never worn a flag pin, never displayed a flag, never wore anything with a flag or God Bless America, nothing at all BUT he is the most patriotic person I know because he almost gave his life for his country. THAT IS PATRIOTIC! Not wearing a flag pin. Can we move on people to bigger issues than this "flag pin" issue or should we beat Obama over the head with a flag pin until he wears one. This doesn't prove patriotism folks! GOOD GRIEF!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:46 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,069 times
Jojo, he's wearing one. No need to beat him over the head.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
mcmolly
It worries me that he so easily broke down and put on the pin. It makes me worry.
Jees McMolly, don't you have better things to worry about? Like paying for a tank of gas, hoping the recession doesn't get any worse, hoping your family
stays safe. Republicans obsess about all the wrong things [petty & ridiculous

Old 06-18-2008, 04:03 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Not the point. He caved and he's wearing one. The point (for me) has always been not why he wasn't wearing one, but his explanation for not doing so.

He's already started. Check his lapel ... it's never missing.

You are correct. I couldn't agree more. Again, it was his convoluted explanation for not wearing the pin that I had a problem with. That and the fact he's wearing one now. A man should stand by his beliefs and convicitons.

It worries me that he so easily broke down and put on the pin. It makes me worry.

First he didn't want to wear it and his explanation...., than he starts wearing it and even a pin with the star of david which disgusted me so much. I'm Jewish and felt offended by it. He should have got rid of the PLO friend in his live and many others...

Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Jees McMolly, don't you have better things to worry about? Like paying for a tank of gas, hoping the recession doesn't get any worse, hoping your family
stays safe. Republicans obsess about all the wrong things [petty & ridiculous
My comment was steeped in sarcasm. I probably should have used this little guy:

And, yes, my #1 priority, before all else, is that my family stays safe in this country, that we don't have another horrendous terrorist attack on our soil, that we have a President with some experience who can hopefully make that not happen.

And for the record, we are not in a recession. Why does the Left want so desperately to call it that when we haven't even had a one month downturn, let alone the 3 required to to technically call this a recession.

We are in what is called an economic downturn. It happens. We cycle.

I've lived through times so, so, so much worse than this. Bunch of wimps running around now who worry about all their little goodies they can't live without. I actually read an article this weekend about a family "slashing" their budget. Know what they did??? The wife cut her every three week pedicure, they combined their cellphone plan, they don't get Thai take-out, they let their cleaning lady go and their Nanny. Oh dear!!!! So much hardship!

No question gas is expensive. But gas was cheap. Even Obama is perfectly fine with the price of gas. He's just upset that it went up so quickly. Yes! He absolutely said that believe it or not.

So when I say I worry when someone caves and plops on a pin just because a few people got upset, I mean he caves too easily. Somehow that's not the guy I want getting the 3:00 a.m. phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
First he didn't want to wear it and his explanation...., than he starts wearing it and even a pin with the star of david which disgusted me so much. I'm Jewish and felt offended by it. He should have got rid of the PLO friend in his live and many others...
I couldn't agree more.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
My comment was steeped in sarcasm. I probably should have used this little guy:

And, yes, my #1 priority, before all else, is that my family stays safe in this country, that we don't have another horrendous terrorist attack on our soil, that we have a President with some experience who can hopefully make that not happen.

And for the record, we are not in a recession. Why does the Left want so desperately to call it that when we haven't even had a one month downturn, let alone the 3 required to to technically call this a recession.

We are in what is called an economic downturn. It happens. We cycle.

I've lived through times so, so, so much worse than this. Bunch of wimps running around now who worry about all their little goodies they can't live without. I actually read an article this weekend about a family "slashing" their budget. Know what they did??? The wife cut her every three week pedicure, they combined their cellphone plan, they don't get Thai take-out, they let their cleaning lady go and their Nanny. Oh dear!!!! So much hardship!

No question gas is expensive. But gas was cheap. Even Obama is perfectly fine with the price of gas. He's just upset that it went up so quickly. Yes! He absolutely said that believe it or not.

So when I say I worry when someone caves and plops on a pin just because a few people got upset, I mean he caves too easily. Somehow that's not the guy I want getting the 3:00 a.m. phone call.

I couldn't agree more.
I'm glad it won't be a hardship for you but many others are having big problems trying to manage esp if driving is a big part of their lives [ie truckers/farmers/commuters/school district transportation]. Prices go up for nearly everything when gas is this expensive.

Oh sorry for not realizing that your were being facetious

Old 06-18-2008, 06:54 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Telling the truth about Barack Obama is patriotic.

Obama refused to wear an American flag pin, because he felt it is more patriotic to say what is wrong with America.

I'm following his advice. I'm saying what is wrong about Barack Hussein Obama.

(Barack Hussein Obama is now wearing an American flag pin, since he has to look more to the center of American politics for the general election.)
His middle name is "Hussein"? How did I not know this? Thanks for putting it in your post, in bold AND red!

Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I'm glad it won't be a hardship for you ...........
I don't believe I said that high gas prices aren't a hardship for us. Of course they are because it affects the cost of everything and we have been on an income decreasing over the past 10 years at least.

What I said was we aren't in a recession and I've experienced far worse and more difficult times.

Doesn't mean I'm not feeling this one.

But if you don't like the high gas prices, you might want to shift your allegiance to Barack Obama. He's fine with high gas prices, just thinks they accelerated too quickly. The Dems want high gas prices so that people will cut back, lower demand. And that's because the Dems side with Environmentalists and want us to get off our use of oil. Sadly, they haven't quite come up with a plan for what we'll use instead.

Kind of like putting the cart before the horse. I'm all for finding alternate energy sources, but in the meantime we need something to drive the cars we have.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:29 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Folks worrying about who is and isn't wearing a flag lapel pin in order to make "an appearance" are what's wrong with America. The sooner these people can be purged, the sooner real patriots can concentrate on issues that matter.
It all comes down to free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections