Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,765,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I would agree.

I would also put the infinite number of "Barrack Hussein Obama"/Change What Change/Black Supremacist/ Muslim Anti-Christ threads in that vein.

Many of these Obama bashers Cut and Run when you actually try to discuss issues with them.

So I can see this on both sides.

Exactly, but i don't see any of the mccain supporters complaining when people make threads about Obama is a communist, racist, etc. They actually pile on to it. I think it is hypocritical to complain about alexus posts while keeping quiet about some the of threads other Obama bashers regularly start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,283,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Exactly, but i don't see any of the mccain supporters complaining when people make threads about Obama is a communist, racist, etc. They actually pile on to it. I think it is hypocritical to complain about alexus posts while keeping quiet about some the of threads other Obama bashers regularly start.
One difference here though, we have had a few threads to analytically discuss things such as Obama's proposal for tax increases (where would they specifically apply), healthcare and energy.

Some members have repeatedly stated through the past six months or so that the smart and educated folks back Obama, while the ignorant and racist folks support Clinton/McCain or whoever.

This arrogance is what I was specifically addressing. These posters should engage in the specific policy discussions too.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My view is that posters who repeatedly start similar threads such as this have little credibility if they don't extensively participate and provide analytical insights in the many issue oriented threads in this forum.

This stuff reminds me of junior high.
I disagree. There are anti-Obama posters here who won't vote for Obama even if he was identified as God himself. These people can't be reasoned with and certainly don't recognize or acknowledge a valid position in opposition. So there is no dialogue that occurs, even with supporting links.

The inadequacies of Bush and McCain's support for his policies is abundantly available with a search. One doesn't lose credibility because he doesn't post links.

This is an excellent topic started by me, and addresses an insight that you can either identify with and understand or give an opinion otherwise. I don't find anyone who supports Bush, Republicans, and McCain credible after 7 years of Republican crap, lousy decision-making, ineffective policies. Support for this view is readily available which is why Bush and the Republicans are not popular at the moment.

Over 4100 soldiers have been killed and the number is increasing, all because of a Bush lie. People have had enough.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,283,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I disagree. There are anti-Obama posters here who won't vote for Obama even if he was identified as God himself. These people can't be reasoned with and certainly don't recognize or acknowledge a valid position in opposition. So there is no dialogue that occurs, even with supporting links.

The inadequacies of Bush and McCain's support for his policies is abundantly available with a search. One doesn't lose credibility because he doesn't post links.

This is an excellent topic started by me, and addresses an insight that you can either identify with and understand or give an opinion otherwise. I don't find anyone who supports Bush, Republicans, and McCain credible after 7 years of Republican crap, lousy decision-making, ineffective policies. Support for this view is readily available which is why Bush and the Republicans are not popular at the moment.

Over 4100 soldiers have been killed and the number is increasing, all because of a Bush lie. People have had enough.
My point is that there are discussions of issues such as energy, taxes and healthcare which dig into the specifics of proposed programs, and participation in those discussions by some partisan supporters (and thread starters) has been lacking.

Since you don't seem to see the point I'm trying to make here, I'll provide a few threads that are examples of issue oriented debates:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ealthcare.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...-relief-3.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ut-lack-5.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...x-wealthy.html

Old 07-07-2008, 10:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,296,018 times
Well-educated liberals can't think for themselves. They don't even realize they are guilty of the exact same thing they accuse the religous right of. They support Obama because its the thing to do, because they want "change" though they have no idea what kind of change they are getting. The succumb to the peer pressure that if you are smart, you vote Obama and if you are an uneducated ignorant hillbilly, you vote McCain. The real (educated) free thinkers wont go anywhere near Obama because they know how disasterous his policy will be for this economy. Though McCain isn't great, he is definately better than Obama. America will get change alright, but it won't be good.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,765,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well-educated liberals can't think for themselves. They don't even realize they are guilty of the exact same thing they accuse the religous right of. They support Obama because its the thing to do, because they want "change" though they have no idea what kind of change they are getting. The succumb to the peer pressure that if you are smart, you vote Obama and if you are an uneducated ignorant hillbilly, you vote McCain. The real (educated) free thinkers wont go anywhere near Obama because they know how disasterous his policy will be for this economy. Though McCain isn't great, he is definately better than Obama. America will get change alright, but it won't be good.
Hmmm.. how can one be well-educated and not be able to think for themselves. Anyway, why does the right insist that people don't know the reasons why they are supporting Obama? Any real educated person would know not to vote for a man who said he doesn't know anything about the economy!!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 AM

12,772 posts, read 8,007,818 times
Quote:
Hmmm.. how can one be well-educated and not be able to think for themselves. Anyway, why does the right insist that people don't know the reasons why they are supporting Obama? Any real educated person would know not to vote for a man who said he doesn't know anything about the economy!!
You can be well educated in terms of knowing a subject very well, however that does not imply you have critical thinking/reasoning skills. Two different things in my opinion...although I guess "well educated" can be a very subjective term also.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 AM

509 posts, read 693,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't think either of them will do much good. Obama, by pulling us out, will undo what progress has been gained (especially since the surge), and McCain may lead us into another war with Iran (I hope not) So either way, this isn't a good election for anyone.

I for one voted for Bush twice. In 2000 he was a different man, against nation building and advocating a "humble" foreign policy. In 2004, I had misgivings about going into Iraq but gave him the benefit of the doubt. Also I was worried about the whole "if we pull out now, we'll get attacked" argument So I reluctantly voted for him again.

I'm glad the war is going better, but it took four years of mismanagement and the GOP losing congress for him to wake up and realize that we needed to try another strategy. At the same time, he seems to have forgotten the domestic front.

Now I'm not some wacko who hates Bush, but if he were running for a third term, I couldn't bring myself to vote for him. I just couldn't.
thank you

Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 AM

956 posts, read 1,237,727 times
You know, I always feel that putting yourself way out at the end of a limb can tricky, if not life threatening. And this is particularly true when telling almost half of the United States they are stupid, wrong, uninformed, lacking credibility ... etc., etc., and so forth.

President Bush is certainly not the "village idiot". This kind of name-calling is not productive in any form and you lose half your audience when you post something so ridiculous. Did he screw up the war early on? I think most agree that he did ... he and an awful lot of other people. Should we be there? History may tell and it may not. Is the war screwed up now? No, not by a long shot. The progress now is beyond impressive.

But let's move on. We are where we are and this has to be our jumping off point. The kind of blasphemous rhetoric you spout against Republicans and McCain is just that ... rhetoric, talking points.

Back to that limb you're on ... when it breaks and McCain is elected President, the good news is you can tell us that over half the country is stupid, unenlightened, uninformed and out of our minds. That will be fun for you, I'm sure.

But aren't you going to wonder just a little bit? Wonder if maybe you're the one who's confused? Maybe Obama isn't the second coming? And while few question he is an amazing orator, at the end of the day people are coming to realize that's really all he can do? Speak in front of masses of people with a teleprompter in front of him? That's all there is ... sadly, much as I'd love him to be all that he promises, he's not. He's just another guy who talks a good game ... just a very ordinary man.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 AM

717 posts, read 777,104 times
Quote:
What degree does Obama have? What did he study in graduate school?
No - Not economics. Very few politicians have any idea about economics.
Thats why when people put the economy on top of the issue list it signals the voters do not know what they are voting for.

Politicians have advisors who are EXPERTS in the subject they are hired to advise for. Ever hear of the term economic adviser?

Believe me Barack Obama knows as much about economics as your pet pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections