Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,606,654 times

Advertisements

Perhaps Ron Paul's plane has bad gas?

~speaking of which, here comes a tropical storm, better go fill up.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
not sure why that would be. the majority of white people in this country came here from europe long after the slavery days. I think it's pretty unfair to assume that my family had anything to do with slavery because of the color of my skin.
Jesus Christ. Just realize that certain words have histories behind them, especially as the word was widely used as a form of discrimination and segregation. Has nothing to do you your family owning slaves.

In South Africa, many have moved beyond apartheid (or they pretend to) but you still wouldn't want to utter the word kaffir.

Just as people would be horrified if you said the word beaner, *****, *******, whatever. Got it?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,857,057 times
no, I don't get it. it is black in spanish, but if a white man who is from Sicily says it, it's offensive? nope, sure don't get it. I will say whatever the F I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Jesus Christ. Just realize that certain words have histories behind them, especially as the word was widely used as a form of discrimination and segregation. Has nothing to do you your family owning slaves.

In South Africa, many have moved beyond apartheid (or they pretend to) but you still wouldn't want to utter the word kaffir.

Just as people would be horrified if you said the word beaner, *****, *******, whatever. Got it?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
no, I don't get it. it is black in spanish, but if a white man who is from Sicily says it, it's offensive? nope, sure don't get it. I will say whatever the F I want.
Okay, go ahead and do whatever you want. But when people look at you like you're an idiot, remember that guy who tried to lay it out for you.

I don't know why I'm reasoning with a 12 year old anyway.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 PM

I don't go around using the word negro. that's something a freaking 80 year old does. it's like using the phrase "colored." I am probably older than you bubba. oh, and I don't have to use phrases like "negro" for people to look at me like an idiot, I say much more disturbing stuff than that.

Quote:
Okay, go ahead and do whatever you want. But when people look at you like you're an idiot, remember that guy who tried to lay it out for you.

I don't know why I'm reasoning with a 12 year old anyway.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Except in some neighborhoods and to some faces.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM

99% of posters on this forum wouldn't step foot in my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Except in some neighborhoods and to some faces.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I don't go around using the word negro. that's something a freaking 80 year old does. it's like using the phrase "colored." I am probably older than you bubba. oh, and I don't have to use phrases like "negro" for people to look at me like an idiot, I say much more disturbing stuff than that.
If you don't use the word negro, then why the hell are you arguing about it? I'm trying to clue you in on the negative attachment the word has in the United States, and how its use is unofficially but officially taboo.

And if people look at you like an idiot, maybe you shouldn't be too proud of that fact. Where did I lose you?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 PM

no too concerned about the opinions of others. the problem is that it starts with the "n word" then it's negro, or sometimes people feel bad about using the term black. people should get over it. I have heard the word negro used by a white man 1 time in my life. 1 freaking time. back to the topic though. it's about ron paul's plane.

Quote:
If you don't use the word negro, then why the hell are you arguing about it? I'm trying to clue you in on the negative attachment the word has in the United States, and how its use is unofficially but officially taboo.

And if people look at you like an idiot, maybe you shouldn't be too proud of that fact. Where did I lose you?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,769,051 times
Quote:

Taboo to who, you? Well, lesee here, there are three, count 'em, 3 main races: Caucasian, Mongoloid, Negroid. One is one of the three basically. So what, exactly, is your whine? And if you're gonna say something is "officially" taboo, PU or SU. K?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections