Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 11:29 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, John McCain made another serious mistake on Iraq [claimed Surge preceded Sunni fighting Al Qaeda]. McCain also made an angry accusation against Obama that surprised even members of his own campaign.

If McCain continues to falter will the GOP convention select Romney for president? How will McCain handle the decision? Will there be a major fight on the convention floor?

Major bummer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:33 AM

540 posts, read 963,093 times
I find it far more likely to happen with Hillary and Obama than McCain and Romney.

Would the angry accusation be that Obama would rather win a campaign than win the war? Sounds pretty accurate to me since Obama seems to find leaving Iraq in a peaceful manner a pretty low priority.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:39 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,060,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yesterday, John McCain made another serious mistake on Iraq [claimed Surge preceded Sunni fighting Al Qaeda]. McCain also made an angry accusation against Obama that surprised even members of his own campaign.

If McCain continues to falter will the GOP convention select Romney for president? How will McCain handle the decision? Will there be a major fight on the convention floor?

Major bummer
Do you remember how weak Romney showed in the primary?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzlucky View Post
I find it far more likely to happen with Hillary and Obama than McCain and Romney.

Would the angry accusation be that Obama would rather win a campaign than win the war? Sounds pretty accurate to me since Obama seems to find leaving Iraq in a peaceful manner a pretty low priority.
Hillary has 23 million in her general election fund. She is asking her donors if she can use it for her 2012 Senate Election. If she elected to take public financing she would not be able to spend that after the nomination. That would give her 85 million to spend plus what the DNC has and their fundraising is a joke. The RNC may well have a war chest of 200 million so put that plus the 85 million McCain gets and she is a very poor candidate. That is unless she will demand and get the Obama war chest which will be considerable. Now if Obama gave it to her instead of giving it back to his donors?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,615,648 times
Hillary Clinton is a distant memory already. Isn't that remarkable? Both Clintons will be actively campaigning for Obama.

But the real issue is how will the Republican party handle the McCain memory problem if he continues to make wrong statements? This is becoming more and more something that will effect negative voter support.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Hillary Clinton is a distant memory already. Isn't that remarkable? Both Clintons will be actively campaigning for Obama.

But the real issue is how will the Republican party handle the McCain memory problem if he continues to make wrong statements? This is becoming more and more something that will effect negative voter support.
It seems to be effecting Obama supporters more at this point.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,144,531 times
Quote:
McCain is tragically incompetent in foreign policy and worse in domestic policy. Romney is virtually the same.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,981,512 times
Oh, I hope the ticket is Mitt and Mc.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,609,540 times
Quote:

Major bummer
I am not sure I would consider that statement a serious mistake. I have heard stories from the mainstream tv news that made similar remarks over the last several months. It all depends on how you measure Sunni efforts I suppose. Sure, Sunnis were fighting Al Qaeda prior to the surge, but it seems that many think their fighting efforts increased significantly post surge. Comparatively based on the before and after the surge made a huge change in Sunni attitudes and efforts in fighting Al Qaeda according to ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN and WSJ reporters.

At worst, McCain's remark was perhaps simplistic for such a complex situation.....but then what sound byte isn't?

You have been the first suggestion that Mitt might take the nomination away from McCain. I preferred Mitt over McCain during the campaigning, but that is over now. Electorates are "committed" so barring a stroke or sex change operation we haven't heard of I would expect McCain to be confirmed as the candidate. I don't think McCain has had any gaffs that are of notable concern to anyone except Democrats that might affect his nomination. Even when many of his supporters are not especially happy with him, he is still seems best choice in the field this year and unity is very important in an election year.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,616,805 times
So you are in agreement that this circus act in Colorado has divided your party and now you want the other side to be screw up like the dems are.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !

To bad the dems have a freak show going on and you are trying your best to make sure the other side acts like your party.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections