Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM

83 posts, read 435,632 times

Advertisements

This issue would normally be inconsequential, but when someone repeatedely makes the same, simple, mistake on a number of occassions, you really have to question that individuals' ability to run the country.

Here's the reality: Czechoslovakia existed from 1918 until 1992; in 1993, the country became the Czech Republic. It's forgivable if it happens once, but McCain has made this verbal faux pas four times now.

And then of course there was the mis-statement about Iran and Iraq.

I think it speaks volumes of this man and his (clear lack of) mental capacities - I quite frankly, don't think that he's sharp enough to run this country.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
It's an honest mistake. It was Czechoslovakia a lot longer than it's been the Czech Republic. Just as long as he knows who Alexander Dubcek was, I'm okay with Mac on this one.

Uh -- YOU know who Dubcek was, right?

Old 07-23-2008, 06:14 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,608,780 times
I know plenty of people who still call it Czechoslovakia just from familiarity despite having the knowledge of it's governmental conversion to a Republic. It is just not important to anyone but type A personalities and Czech citizens. There is a Czech exchange student at my daughter's school that has a running "feud" with a girl that cannot remember from one day to the next that Czechoslovakia no longer exists. He gets all worked up with her arguing this topic and laughs about her memory during the next period class. Not even he seems to be offended by it as much as amused that he gets to "debate with an idiot" each day.

The memory issue I would have more concern about would be Obama's "Israel is Israel's best ally and probably always will be." That speaks of a more serious short term memory loss or at least lack of attention to the present conversation rather than lapsing into older familiar terms for something.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Default It Matters a Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
This issue would normally be inconsequential, but when someone repeatedely makes the same, simple, mistake on a number of occassions, you really have to question that individuals' ability to run the country.

Here's the reality: Czechoslovakia existed from 1918 until 1992; in 1993, the country became the Czech Republic. It's forgivable if it happens once, but McCain has made this verbal faux pas four times now.

And then of course there was the mis-statement about Iran and Iraq.

I think it speaks volumes of this man and his (clear lack of) mental capacities - I quite frankly, don't think that he's sharp enough to run this country.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Getting it right matters. A lot. It is especially hypocritical of McCain and the GOP to say Obama has no foreign policy expertise when McCain can't even get right the name of that nation. Not to mention McCain's ludicrous gaffe recently when he was talking about the "Iraq/Pakistan" border (hint to McCain: there AIN'T one!). When General Wesley Clark said McCain was short on foreign policy smarts, THIS is exactly what he meant. Truth is, John McCain is just plain short of smarts, period.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,668 times
Wait one,

I'll have to ask Svejk on this one........

Old 07-23-2008, 06:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
My mom was born in Czechoslovakia and we both have a hard time saying Czech Republic now. Oh heck, I'll be old school and just say Austria Hungary

Ah Dubcek, bless him for 1968. He and Vaclav Havel are great men.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times
Other McCain lapses, gaffes or signs that he is suffering from dementia and is too old to be POTUS.

McCain said while discussing Darfur, a region of Sudan: "How can we bring pressure on the government of Somalia?" Senior adviser Mark Salter corrected him: “Sudan.”

McCain referred to Vladimir Putin of Russia, following a trip to Germany, as “President Putin of Germany.”

McCain said troops in Iraq were “down to pre-surge levels” when in fact there were 20,000 more troops than when the surge policy began.

McCain twice appeared to mistake Sunnis and Shiites, two branches of Islam that split violently. On one notable occasion traitorous Joe Lieberman whispered the real facts in McCain's ear.

McCain said earlier this month that as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, he had tried to confuse his captors by giving the names of Pittsburgh Steelers starting players when asked to identify his squadron mates. McCain has told the story many times over the years but always correctly referred to the names he gave as members of the Green Bay Packers.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,734 times
The father and the grandfather of John McCain were both admirals in the U.S. Navy and were given commands and performed excellently. John McCain never came close to his father nor his grandfather. he never held a command position and was refused by the Navy because if his unstable personality which included a violent temper that got him in hot water continually. If the United States Navy would not give him the command of a vessel I cannot even think of giving him the command of the entire United States. It's unthinkable. We'll just have to wait this one out until the GOP can come up with a viable candidate. But this time they have not. The GOP will have to rest until 2012.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,855,850 times
how many states in the US? end of thread.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post

Thoughts? Opinions?
Let's hope he doesn't mistake "THE BUTTON" for his Life Alert necklace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections