Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Gee I wonder how many can vote in OUR election.

Will some one tell me what aspect you would like our country to be more like theirs?
I'd like to have their crime rate (less than ours - even though we have 8 TIMES the incarceration rate)

NationMaster - Crime Statistics

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
They dont "love America again" they love that Bush is leaving. Dont confuse the two.
True enough, but the fact is, to folks overseas, the President IS America - for the simple reason that he (or she whenever that time eventually comes) defines foreign policy and US foreign policy has an impact on nations overseas.

So, Unpopular (abroad) foriegn policy makes enemies for the US while popular foreign policy makes friends for the US.

Likewise a President who is unpopular abroad makes carrying out US foriegn policy all the more difficult while a President who is popular abroad makes carrying out US foreign policy easier.

While popularity abroad is certainly not reason to elect someone President, it sure isn't going to hurt any.

Ken

Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,985,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
While popularity abroad is certainly not reason to elect someone President, it sure isn't going to hurt any.

Ken
But by that logic, as long as he is popular over seas, he can run the country and our economy into the ground?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
But by that logic, as long as he is popular over seas, he can run the country and our economy into the ground?
Clearly you are NOT reading my post.
Where did I ever say anything even REMOTELY like that?

Ken

Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,985,902 times
Quote:
Clearly you are NOT reading my post.
Where did I ever say anything even REMOTELY like that?

Ken
The implication is that Obama is loved over seas and that "wont hurt any" and my view is that he will be a disaster for our economy...thats where I draw my conclusion.

You are right, you didnt explicitly say it, so forgive me for drawing conclusions.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
Quote:
True enough, but the fact is, to folks overseas, the President IS America - for the simple reason that he (or she whenever that time eventually comes) defines foreign policy and US foreign policy has an impact on nations overseas.

So, Unpopular (abroad) foriegn policy makes enemies for the US while popular foreign policy makes friends for the US.

Likewise a President who is unpopular abroad makes carrying out US foriegn policy all the more difficult while a President who is popular abroad makes carrying out US foreign policy easier.

Ken
Exactly.

Remember on 9/11: "We are all Americans today"?

"We" squandered that good will.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:49 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,762,738 times
Quote:
Well I have heard one.

Public transportation. Then again we have excellent public transportation in quite a few city's that have the density to support it.
Which cities? I can vouch that Chicago's public transit (Metra, El etc.) isn't the greatest, but relative to the U.S., it's probably a lot better than most places. Japan, France, Germany, etc... now there are some mighty nice train systems!

Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,005,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Which cities? I can vouch that Chicago's public transit (Metra, El etc.) isn't the greatest, but relative to the U.S., it's probably a lot better than most places. Japan, France, Germany, etc... now there are some mighty nice train systems!
Funny how you keep quoting my following me around. I thought you were going to put me on ignore?

NYC
Boston
Portland
Seattle

Can we do better yes.

So we have public transportation. Another wants their crime rates.

We have two.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,106,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
And then France will reveal that all their nuclear plants are really missile silos!
Sorry to burst your sarcastic bubble, but what I am referring to is a Pew Research poll from a couple of months ago documenting that 58% of Europeans wanted a weaker United States.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,094,659 times
Quote:
Funny how you keep quoting my following me around. I thought you were going to put me on ignore?

NYC
Boston
Portland
Seattle

Can we do better yes.

So we have public transportation. Another wants their crime rates.

We have two.
Heh, I've ridden public transportation in nyc, boston, and seattle, and have spent my entire adult life (and most of my teenage years as well) riding Chicago's. I've also lived 3 months in London, spent two weeks in Germany and Austria, and some time in Moscow riding public transportation in that part of the world. All of which put the US public transportation systems to shame. When I got back home from Germany after riding public transportation there, and boarded the 'el' to go home, I didn't know whether or not to laugh or cry at how pathetically inferior, dingy, and falling apart it was in comparison to what I had seen abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections