Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times

Advertisements

Dang, I wish I could have positions CREATED FOR ME!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Marry a Senator. Nepotism is alive in well in America; it's not exclusive to the Obama household.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,080,669 times
Quote:

That is a truly loaded line that out of respect I will not reply to but oh well I won't, but think about it.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:34 PM

351 posts, read 337,399 times
Senator Edwards may be available to marry if the Beverly Hilton story is true! He has nice hair.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:37 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,294,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Little things we don't know, Michelle Obama gets a nice 51,000 paycheck per year for just being a director of a food service company called Tree House Foods.

Not in her family, not her idea, not passed down, not earned but a gimme check for being a wife to an Ill Senator.

Not to bad for a lady who made 150k per year until her hubby become a Senator and gets a 200k raise the day after he is sworn in and now rakes in approx 350k just from her job, add the 51k for the Tree House job and she is at 500k just for herself. Not bad considering she could only make 150k on her own and 3 years into her hubby being a Senator she is netting a 1.2 mils.
Guess it is who you know. Then tells us all that the Obamas struggled on 150k per year.

And who is donating a ton of money to his groupies, yup, Tree House Foods... well..well...

And to think the Obamas only made 200k just before he became a Senator and now make a whopping 4.5 mils.

The Obamas are out of touch people, she gets 51k per year for just having her name on something, much more then most people get for working all year long.

Not to mention the 40,000 tax refund they got last year for the loopholes, real estate deals and taking tax credits for their two kids when they made 3 mils. How low is that?
You're out of touch if you think 51k is a significant amount of money for a board of director. Companies average $1 million in BOD compensation with the # of board members ranging from 5-8 members.
IndustryWeek : Board of Directors' Compensation Not 'Unreasonable,' Study Finds

Also, 150K for a family of 4 in a major metro city is struggling. I couldn't live on that where I live with that size family unless I didn't want to own home.

The desperation from the other side is really becoming apparent when someone gets mad over this. So Bush and McCain are better because their daddy and wife made them multi-millionaires. Pitiful.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:13 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,097,964 times
Quote:
I had a position created for me once (after I interviewed at a company and they liked me, but didn't quite know where to put me), unfortunately it only paid 35k (ya gotta love academia).

It was a pretty good job, I'm still with the company several years later, just now doing something else (and thankfully making a bit more more money, but not that much more).

Old 07-26-2008, 08:24 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,402,767 times
Look. I know that the Obamas are well off and loaded with strange money compared to you or me. However, as national politicians go, they are paupers.

51K? There are politicians and former politicians that bring in many times that from speaking at a single event. (Giuliani gets 100k a speech, plus expenses. Used to, anyway. Bill Clinton once made 475,000 for two speeches.)

National politicians are on a different level, moneywise.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:25 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,402,767 times
Quote:
I had a position created for me at my current job. After getting promoted and replaced, I then had another position created for one of my colleagues.
My last girlfriend had a position created for her at a hospital.

It happens pretty routinely.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Cindy McCain was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, another woman's husband in one hand and a bottle of pills in another.

Michelle Obama is not an heiress, an adulteress or a drug addict. She is the real American success story.

I happen to be a recovering addict/alcoholic
so I really get tired of blowhards putting us down
I own by own business of 20 years and I own my house
I pay taxes and work with others in volunteer work
including addicts, alcoholics, and women that have come out of domestic violence
what have you done lately?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Maybe I'm the only person confused by this:
She used to earn 150K then she got a 200K raise. That would be 350K right? So how does the 51K from the Tree House job put her at 500K? Wouldn't that put her at 401K?

I'm not trying to personally attack anyone but can someone explain the mathematical formula that was used on this equation?
She ran out of fingers and toes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections