Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 AM

658 posts, read 833,446 times

Advertisements

Yep, but he sure didn't say moronic things about tire pressure saving as much gas as domestic drilling would produce.

What a dolt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,216,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It depends on which version of his plan you mean.
maintaining sensible tire pressure is pretty brazen... an environmentalist wacko idea...

would you rather not care for your car, to make a political statement? You could put a sign saying "Right and Damn Proud of It!" on your car as it lies there in the driveway. (Or just a Fox News sticker would say it all...)

Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Yep, but he sure didn't say moronic things about tire pressure saving as much gas as domestic drilling would produce.

What a dolt!
The best estimate available, by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, is that at least a quarter of drivers are cruising around on under-inflated tires. In April, the Rubber Manufacturers Association, the Auto Club, the California Highway Patrol and Yokohama Tire Company used those statistics, along with Department of Transportation and Automobile Association of America data, to extrapolate that 2.8-billion gallons of gas are lost every year due to under-inflation of tires.

That’s an estimate, to be sure, and not one from a published, peer-reviewed study. But remember, Obama said we “could” save all the oil available from offshore drilling in the protected areas — not we “would” — so if the claim is merely plausible he’s on solid ground.
So how much oil is available offshore? According to the latest assessment from the Minerals Management Service, the mean estimate of undiscovered technically recoverable crude oil in the Outer Continental Shelf areas that are currently under moratorium is about 18-billion barrels (see here (http://www.mms.gov/revaldiv/PDFs/OilandGasResources0507.pdf - broken link).)

But it couldn’t all be extracted immediately. The agency estimates that if the moratorium were lifted production could start by 2017, and by 2030, oil companies could be producing 2.4-million barrels of oil instead of 2.2-million. That’s 200,000 more barrels per day.

After refining, a barrel of oil can produce up to 19.5 gallons of gasoline, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. So that’s 3.9-million more gallons of gasoline per day, or 1.4-billion gallons of gasoline per year.

PolitiFact | Not overinflated (though it sounds like it)

But the salient point is that such measures are serious. Why the Republicans are mocking them at a time of energy crisis seems bizarre. Political Punch

Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,105,389 times
For the independent thinking reader to digest and evaluate which is more absurd of the two:

A suggestion to reduce directly the amount of light sweet crude oil needed by assisting demand destruction for said product or?

Individuals making fun of the suggestion getting caught and now trying to spin their way out of.

To assist you consider that the preferred choice for gasoline production is light sweet crude which has been in decreasing supply and is not found everywhere. That is why Bush and the Saudi government say they can't help as they produce heavy crude. Now where has anyone told you that there are abundant reserves of light sweet off of coastal Amercia to be drilled and pumped? Forget about the cost have they told you we have light sweet? I will let them tell you and do their own research.
Please find the following to help in your intellectualization of the topic:
The Oil Drum | The Peak of Light Sweet Crude?
Recall that "light" means that the crude has low density (and usually low viscosity) so it flows easily. (Technically, it's light if it has API gravity higher than 35 degrees). "Sweet" means that there's little sulphur. Light sweet crude is the most desirable as it can be easily refined into gasoline. Heavy sour crude requires removal of the sulphur and catalytic cracking of the long carbon chain molecules to shorter species in order to get much gasoline out of it. Those big molecules are what makes heavy oil black and gooey. This means the refinery needs to be more complex and expensive to process heavy sour oil. Famous flavors of light sweet crude include West Texas Intermediate, Brent oil from the North Sea, and of course the output of Ghawar in Saudi Arabia

The academic issue is where will new sources of Light Sweet be found to offset the existing sources that are being or will be depleted. The easiest and most direct way to address that question is to lower the demand for light sweet via gasoline demand destruction. Drilling and drilling for heavy won't address cost or environmental issues associated with gasoline as we move forward. It is a very complex issue that requires an academic examination and not Blogger gimmickery.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,605,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
maintaining sensible tire pressure is pretty brazen... an environmentalist wacko idea...

would you rather not care for your car, to make a political statement? You could put a sign saying "Right and Damn Proud of It!" on your car as it lies there in the driveway. (Or just a Fox News sticker would say it all...)
You misread me. I've never said that maintaining tire pressure was stupid or that we shouldn't do it. I just didn't realize that "the one we've been waiting for" was simply going to tell us to pump up our tires. The guy at the garage has been saying that for years. Maybe he's really the one. Since Bush said that before, maybe he's the one and we just didn't know it. Obama should have just told us that before and maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You misread me. I've never said that maintaining tire pressure was stupid or that we shouldn't do it. I just didn't realize that "the one we've been waiting for" was simply going to tell us to pump up our tires. The guy at the garage has been saying that for years. Maybe he's really the one. Since Bush said that before, maybe he's the one and we just didn't know it. Obama should have just told us that before and maybe we wouldn't be in this mess.
I didnt misread you at all. Or maybe some of us should just take it in stride, take it as the offhand suggestion that it was and move on to more important things. Even if it's Sean and Rush and Bill's job to get us to embrace and magnify distractions like this, we can defy them!

Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,519,908 times
The technology in cars and all the materials that make them up in todays cars makes the late 80's and early 90's vehicles look like commodore 64's.....

Tires back then had no where near the amount of technology they do today.

Again I'm not saying tire inflation can't help....it's not going to make any difference in actual consumption....there are way to many factors....

SUV, Car, low profile, nubby tires, soft or hard sidewall, soft medium or hard composition.

Heck maybe I'm in some high dollar part of town but a lot of the cars around here have a sensor that says hey your tires are low.

The difference is not as great as some would like you to think...your not saving any money unless someone is assuming everyone is already not doing it or to ignorant to figure it out.

I have owned several vehicles through the mid 80's to now....and always knew tire pressure was important and what the difference was. I know a lot of people wouldn't know @ 16 maybe I rare.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,519,908 times
Quote:
Yeah I been kinda wondering how people don't know tire pressure is important....have they never had to buy tires? Everytime I ever have the guy tells me hey you need to check em a little while after driving and pump them up to xx amount of pressure. It was one of the whole spiels you have to go through when buying a chevy or dodge at least in the past several years. You know the one after you buy a new car or truck and they go through all the features and then they alos point out that little manual...the owners manual it has quiet a bit of info......and the sticker in the door jamb....the side of the tires...some cars even have all that info on the visor.

It's rather hard to find the info though.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,605,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I didnt misread you at all. Or maybe some of us should just take it in stride, take it as the offhand suggestion that it was and move on to more important things. Even if it's Sean and Rush and Bill's job to get us to embrace and magnify distractions like this, we can defy them!
I have taken it completely in stride. I'm having fun with it which is what it takes to get through this campaign. I don't listen to Sean or Rush but will admit to watching Bill. I haven't seen him talking about this though.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,872,520 times
so the moral of the story is that obama steals ideas from bush 1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections