Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You're only a feminist if you are ultra liberal and anti family. Feminist do NOT support ANY conservative women candidates.

Feminism is not about women's rights its about promoting a FAR LEFT agenda.

Yeah, I believe your definition of feminism. Thanks, but most of us (women and men) have our own brain and critical thinking skills and we're not afraid to use them. We don't believe that God will send a bolt of lightning from the sky to punish us if we use our God-given skills and abilities and think for our selves. "Far Left agenda" - what a joke. ALL the hard-working people of this nation deserve to be represented; not just self-righteous a*ses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,254,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I actually feel that the job of governor is a more more strenuous job than VP. A governor is making more active decisions and is at the helm of the state. A VP traditionally is just going around socializing with all those dignitaries that were hoping to have time with the president, but didn't make it onto the date calendar.

And what about Palin's husband? Hasn't he already resigned his post and is ready to be a house husband? I'm a feminist too, but I think that Palin's husband needs to do his share of the parenting duties also. As to her pregnant daughter, I see her getting married and staying in that small town in Alaska for the time being. I don't think that her mother needs to be around for the childrearing. 'm sure that she has the full support of her boyfriend's family also.

As a feminist, I don't see why women need to try to "do it all"... being a mother hen, career woman and super hero, the men never trouble themselves like that. And in my area, there are plenty of families where the mother also has a full career and the family has a nanny or au pair for the kids. Even when one of the kids is a special needs child.
I suspect McCain will require an active VP. He's 72 after all.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,864,793 times
Well, quite honestly, everyone is jumping the gun about McCain dying in office. It can happen to anyone. He really only is 72, he's not that old.

And I am a far leaning left liberal. I have zero respect for Palin for leaving her infant and family to serve. Running a company and running our country are different jobs. She can and will hire nannies to help with her mothering, but her priorities don't scream "family values" to me. I agree that his advisers have not advised him well. And he will lose the election because of his lack of backbone in choosing who HE wanted. At least, I hope he loses. You never can tell in the US.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,224,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Look, the reasons for not wanting palin because of inexperience are valid. The excuse of young children and a down syndrom baby are not. Yes, vpotus is an intense job...but if I had brain surgery, would I rule out a surgeon because she had a five month old down baby at home? My god, she could be tired when she cracked open my skull! Do you see how this could go down?
Hillary talked about the cracks in the glass ceiling, but are we as women sealing them back up again with these types of arguments? The men were writing such garbage about palins looks and wanting to 'do her'....do we want to be complicit in that? I am not saying vote for her...far from it. I am just saying we have a duty for our daughters to keep the discussion away from sex and on the issues.

It's NOT That she's a Mother. It's that they CHOSE, knowingly to have a special needs child and I feel like they are dumping him. Ya know, I don't know how to be clearer on this. Women should be able to both have a family AND a fulfilling career. ANY career that they choose. BUT then some tough choices need to be made. Bringing a special needs child into the world and then turning around and taking one of the most high profile and stressful jobs available in the world, just doesn't seem right to me. Especially when you have no experience in that job. If she had lots of experience, knew what she was doing and THEN had a special needs child, do I think she should resign? No. I just think the combination on no experience and her family situation is a bad mix.

I DO sincerely hope that I am not sealing up cracks in the glass ceiling. That would make me very sad as I believe that our mothers and grandmothers (and even us to some extent) have fought hard to create those cracks, and about time too. I would have voted for Hillary, baby or no baby. This whole situation with Palin just seems ass backwards to me is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I think we are agreed on that, the question was more about the fact that this newborn is a special needs child. Remember the storyline that came out the first day was she cooked all their meals, got rid of the servants, etc. It is that kind of thing that just does not seem to gel with the idea of running for vice president. She was Mrs Cleaver and Murphy Brown and Margaret Thatcher and Annie Oakley all rolled into one.
Yep, so now from getting rid of the help and doing everything, she is basically going to disappear from their lives most of the time. I can't imagine that a special needs child will understand this as well as the others. Abandonment issues anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I think that her credentials qualify her for an audition for the next taping of the fishing and hunting show on cable TV; not as the VP candidate for the second highest office in all the land. Do McCain's campaign ministers have some sort of dementia? Are they trying to sabatoge him completely? Does McCain have any sense of his own left anymore? What happened to the strong, McCain, the POW survivor of yesteryear??
Lol. Agree with this!

Quote:
You're only a feminist if you are ultra liberal and anti family. Feminist do NOT support ANY conservative women candidates.

Umm, no - you couldn't be more wrong about this. Did you ever hear of Maggie Thatcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't think that the fact that Palin is woman, a mother of five, or the mother of a special needs newborn should be held against her in the race for vice-president. That's what the feminist movement was all about. Men have never had to choose between having a family or being a politcal leader and neither should a woman. Nor should the fact that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant be a consideration.

I don't think Palin is qualified to be vice-president or president should she have to step into that role, but it has nothing to do with her status as a mother or soon-to-be grandmother.
I can see this point too. She is unqualified for the position whether she has kids or not. The special needs aspect just makes me more concerned, and the older daughter issues make me question her judgement.

I am sure this will be the nail in the coffin for Mccain. At least I hope so, because having these two at the helm would be terrifying for this country, and who wants to be an international laughing stock?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:00 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,224,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Well, quite honestly, everyone is jumping the gun about McCain dying in office. It can happen to anyone. He really only is 72, he's not that old.

And I am a far leaning left liberal. I have zero respect for Palin for leaving her infant and family to serve. Running a company and running our country are different jobs. She can and will hire nannies to help with her mothering, but her priorities don't scream "family values" to me. I agree that his advisers have not advised him well. And he will lose the election because of his lack of backbone in choosing who HE wanted. At least, I hope he loses. You never can tell in the US.
You say it better than I do. Thanks.

WRT McCain dying, it's not his age so much, it's that he looks so unwell. He really does look like he could keel over at any moment.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
Did you ever hear of Maggie Thatcher?
Sure. I'm not saying there are no conservatives in office or government, but name one Republican candidate the NOW or any feminist has endorsed. Condi Rice is villified by both feminists and Black leaders because she does not share their far left agenda.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:13 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,873 times
America is BARELY coming to terms with the idea of having any woman in our highest offices. Thank you Hillary! This is new territory.

Keeping that in mind, does anyone really think that America would consider a young mother of 5 kids, brand new baby, and preg. teen and accept her as vp or, God forbid, presidential material?

Let's be realistic. Your average middle-aged American is not going to be able to swallow all of that.

The mental mindset of a nation only changes in baby steps. It's way too much of a leap.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How is being VP more strenuous than being governor of Alaska? So just because she had a Down's Syndrome baby, should she retire from politics altogether and stay home with her child? I think that if she hires a nanny, the baby will be just fine at this point and for the next five years. The National Down's Syndrome conference was in Boston just a few months ago, and I worked one of their luncheons. In addition, NPR had a show where they interviewed a woman with a Down's Syndrome teenager.

Anyway, I don't think that Palin can't be both a good VP and a good mother to her baby at the same time. In addition, there was another thread where someone criticized Palin for flying in an airplane while in the late stages of her last pregnancy, and I don't see what the big deal is about pregnant women flying. My boyfriend's mom flew twice while being pregnant with him, and one of those times was in the last month of the pregnancy and he turned out just fine and without any complications. Pregnant women aren't that fragile.
I think you better contact an airlines and get their opinion of a woman who knows she will soon be having a baby and flys anyway.

First, there ARE hospitals in Texas and every state in between Texas and Alaska. WHY the need to get to Alaska so quickly??????????????

Second, she gave NO thought to the dangers of possibly going into labor while in flight. NO thought to the inconvenience that might cause OTHER people.The flight would have to be diverted and delayed...all for thoughtless little Sara.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:

No, feminism is about equal rights for women.

If it appears that it's a left wing agenda maybe that's because the right wing is so against women's rights.

You are a feminist if you believe women have the right to vote.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,284,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Am I alone in feeling that it is inappropriate for Palin to be taking on this job having just had a baby with Downs syndrome?
They CHOSE to have the baby, and I think that is commendable in many ways, but not if you're going to rush off and do something else the second a better offer comes along.

Is her husband going to quit his job and be a SAHD? If so, then that's a step in the right direction - I don't care which parent takes charge of the baby, but this seems so very selfish to me on her part. I think she would be able to do many things, including her existing job in Alaska. But VP for the US of A? I do not think so.

Now with the news about the oldest daughter, it seems that they need to be there for their own family instead of trying to promote themselves up the political ladder. They chose to have 5 kids, 4 of whom are at home, one is a 6 month old baby with special needs and the other is a knocked up teen. I really think that BOTH of the Palins need to look a bit closer to home before taking on time consuming jobs of any kind. Now the job Mrs Palin wants happens to be as one of the leaders of this country. She seems in no way equipped for this from what I have seen, especially taking into consideration her family situation.
I mean can you IMAGINE what would happen if she ever had to take office as the president?

I find it offensive that Mccain seems to think that just because Palin is female, that all women will race out and vote for her, just because she has the same anatomical parts. There are women out there of whom the USA could be proud as part of the leadership. I think Hillary was one of them. This woman is so ill equipped to handle any of this and it irritates me that of all women out there, THIS is the one he came up with.

I initially thought Mccain choice of a woman as VP was a clever move to get out the female vote, but the more I hear about her, the more of a political blunder it seems.

Well, I will be sure to pass the message on to all the mothers out there who are parents of disabled kids that either them or the father needs to quit their jobs. Why do you think that her job as VP will be anymore stressful than any other working Mom's? And I am sure Sarah Palin and her family care what you think and will she will be stepping down posthaste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections