Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times

Advertisements

Paul will not agree to shut up about the Iraq War.

Think Progress » Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,739 times
He was on C-SPAN this morning and sounded impressive..

My son and many of his more liberal friends were staunch supporters of Paul.. Most of the yard signs (and there were many) last year, in this GOP bastion of TN, were Ron Paul signs. There were also numerous Ron Paul groups in this area, many more than for the other candidates. Yet for some reason his final primary numbers were low.. It's hard to understand how and why this happened (without thinking conspiracy).

Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Well this is part of the problem with the current contemporary Republicans and the RNC respectively. They do not wish to have their current views of foreign policy and military intervention framed in any other way than the Bush doctrine.

I find it a little sad that a good number of truly conservative minded folks who hold traditional views of less intervention and no nation building (Bush's own platform in 2000) to be ostracized. Paul's views that our dependence on foreign sources of energy, goods, and food as well as liberal economic policies are inexplicably tied to foreign military intervention and our current need for an imperialist arrangement. Whether we agree or not, he does bring valid points to the table that should certainly be considered, not ignored or chided. Then again, in today's politics it is more about being obedient to a party than actually thinking.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Whether we agree or not, he does bring valid points to the table that should certainly be considered, not ignored or chided. Then again, in today's politics it is more about being obedient to a party than actually thinking.
Im a big Paul supporter myself, and I completely agree with you on this.

He had MANY good points that he brought up, I dont agree with him on 100% of the issues, but I also dont remember the last candidate that I did agree with on so many issues.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,931,076 times
Wow... that's how they treat a fellow republican that thinks a little bit differently...

Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
That's such a dumb move on the part of the GOP. Paul wasn't a threat. But nothing ticks off Americans more than attempts to muzzle someone who has a different point of view.

Freedom of Speech issues rally people more than just about anything. I know every time sometime tries to suppress something I say it only doubles and triples my resolve to keep saying it.

I find myself respecting Ron Paul more and more.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,931,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I find myself respecting Ron Paul more and more.
I have ENORMOUS respect for the man. I don't agree with him but I truly believe he has America's best interest in mind. Had McCain picked Paul, my respect for McCain would have shot up. I am so dissapointed in McCain. He vs. obama could have been a win-win situation for America. Now, at least for me, it's a clear win-lose situation.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:20 AM

I happen to think that Democrats have done a similar thing with Dennis Kucinich as well. While I don't agree with the politics of Kucinich, I respect his dedication to a political philosophy of hard liberalism much in the same way I respect Ron Paul's dedication to traditional conservative politics.

Both are strongly anti-war, although Paul's position is based not only out of moral objections by also from an economic standpoint. In any event, both the Democratic and Republican Parties have fairly soundly rejected both candidates and many of their positions, even though many people supported both. I would even venture to say that mainstream American sentiments supported both candidates positions, but the political establishment doesn't desire the same things as the American public.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Here's Kucinich's speech last week at the 2008 Dem Convention.

Kucinich's Democratic Convention Speech (VIDEO)

Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM

Hey the DNC is not nearly as authoritarian as the RNC, but I distinctly remember the debates as I watched every one of them and Kucinich was all but chided off the stage among a rabble of snickers and chuckles. Kucinich is only respected when he is waving his teams flag and I find that a little sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections