Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,868,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Since this term has now entered our national vocabulary, I would like to understand it better. Ms. Palin likens it to a "pit bull" which I find a little confusing. I'm a mom myself, but my kids are involved in other extracurricular activities besides sports. My impression of "soccer moms," "baseball moms," hockey moms," etc. are mothers who spend a lot of time in their cars driving their kids to and from practice and games and providing snacks at appropriate times. Kind of like I do, taking my kids to play rehearsal, choir, lit club, guitar lessons, etc.

Are there additional responsibilities to being a "hockey mom" that I am not aware of that somehow add to one's professional or political credentials? Or some other nuance to this title I am not getting?
Well hockey is one of the most expensive sports to put your kids into, so perhaps she's showing she can "spend like the best of em" in Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,705,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
What, exactly, is a "Hockey Mom"?

According to Sarah, a pit bull with lipstick.
So she likens herself to an overly aggressive pet which owners typically keep chained in the yard? Ok, got it...

Old 09-04-2008, 09:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,916,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
So she likens herself to an overly aggressive pet which owners typically keep chained in the yard? Ok, got it...
Great. We have woman haters and now pit bull haters.

"TYPICAL" is a word OBAMA supporters love to use. Just like OBAMA said his grandmother was a "typical white person".

Way to go ingratiating yourselves into Middle America. As Governor Palin aptly pointed out.

What did OBAMA do for the abused and tortured Chicago Pit Bulls as community organizer? Maybe if he actually DID something for those dogs he'd have my vote. Right now there is a very aggressive political action in Chicago to ban pit bulls. BECAUSE OF YOUR DEMOGRAPHICS' ABUSE OF THEM.

Time for OBAMA to take an animal rights position by the way.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Great. We have woman haters and now pit bull haters. .
And what's fascinating is that they turn out to be Democrat liberals.

What a mind-boggling juxtaposition -- of which there have been so many in this interminable campaign so far....

Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,943,705 times
Playing hockey is a rough sport. Padding helps. Still it is a rough sport that makes boys turn into men. Ask any little boy if he has been knocked unconscious by a puck from being hit in the head without wearing a helmet. That happened to me as a little kid watching some hockey players on the ice rink. Remember waking up stretched out on some chairs with adults standing over me. I was about 5-6 at the time in the mid 30's. My two cousins and I just walked home. Yrs later played hockey on the frozen over pond across from our home. Sure miss the sport. Steve

Old 09-04-2008, 09:39 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,765,660 times
Being a "hockey dad" I think it should be pointed out that hockey parents really are MUCH different from say soccer parents. Because of the limitations on facilities and locations, hockey parents are usually up at the crack of dawn pulling our kids out of bed, loading up the car with tons of gear and getting the kids to the rink for their 6AM practices or driving across the state in time for those early morning games or all day tournaments. It's a MUCH greater commitment than most other sports.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,045,520 times
A 'Hockey Mom' is someone that sits in the stands yelling at the top of her voice,

'KILL em Track!'
'don't just take that - hit him with your stick'
'take that other kid out'
'if you don't hurt him you're walking home'

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM

267 posts, read 1,141,943 times
Try having a little bit of education on the subject before quoting what a hockey mom is.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
I think if you drop the c it would describe her perfectly.

The Hokey Mom.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:44 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,045,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Try having a little bit of education on the subject before quoting what a hockey mom is.
I grew up in Michigan - I know EXACTLY what what a Hockey Mom is. This is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections