Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:26 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,396,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post

McCain for lower taxes 2008!!
My tax burden is going to be largely unchanged regardless of who gets elected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 03:27 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
I hope we will hear more from Biden...the guy reminds me of Howard Dean just before his run for the presidency was over...., I know he is going for the VP, but Obama IMO will never win it and with Biden next to him it looks like who is insulting more people than the other...it is almost like a quiz...whois the biggest loser of these 2...Obama or Biden!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:31 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,778,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
My tax burden is going to be largely unchanged regardless of who gets elected.
Maybe other things will change...since if you are working for a company that will be taxed higher...more people will hear the famous words :"your fired".. just because the companies will try to make up for it, and the groceries will be more expensive and so will the gas prices be higher.

In my street already people are feeling it, since 2 were working as a nanny and both got less hours and had to give the car they got from their employer, back because the were already feeling a financial burden due to the housing market crisis.

We all will feel it either because the taxes will be higher and/or the prices will go up. So Obama/Biden will be a worse case scenario.

Also if you have a 401K the capital gains tax will go up under Obama so if you retire you will get less....but it isn't so bad if you chose McCain/Palin '08...so you have a choice.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:42 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,396,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe other things will change...since if you are working for a company that will be taxed higher...more people will hear the famous words :"your fired".. just because the companies will try to make up for it, and the groceries will be more expensive and so will the gas prices be higher.

In my street already people are feeling it, since 2 were working as a nanny and both got less hours and had to give the car they got from their employer, back because the were already feeling a financial burden due to the housing market crisis.

We all will feel it either because the taxes will be higher and/or the prices will go up. So Obama/Biden will be a worse case scenario.

Also if you have a 401K the capital gains tax will go up under Obama so if you retire you will get less....but it isn't so bad if you chose McCain/Palin '08...so you have a choice.
Well, I also work in an economic sector that won't be quite as affected by an economic downturn as you suggest, but I take your point.

That said, I don't agree that McCain/Palin will be better for the economy. I think Obama/Biden has ideas that will help to foster growth and innovation in our economy, and a less cavalier attitude towards corporations and individuals that profit off of the opportunities afforded by the US, but take their jobs and their money and place them elsewhere while the rest of the nation suffers. I'm tired of seeing taxpayer dollars thrown into the chasm of unchecked privatization. I'm tired of seeing entire industries profit from something as basic as healthcare.

There are a million other things I'm tired of, too, and they generally boil down to too many benefits for corporations, a "free market" system that is far from free, and a basic lack of concern for innovation, equality, or any other attribute that has made this country great.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,987,581 times
You know what's worse than raising taxes?

Not paying your bills.

GOP deadbeats pushed all this debt on our children and they have the nerve to want start paying even less on what they owe?

The cycle is always the same. The GOP puts everything on a credit card, bragging about what great spend-thrifts they are.

Then a Democrat must come in a clean up their crap. And get name called, and mocked as a the "big spender".

Rinse, lather, repeat.

How long before poor and middle class Americans start paying attention to GOP games? Must things really go down the crapper before they get off their lazy butts

and actually start to understand what is going on??

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-18-2008 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-18-2008, 07:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Biden was saying that in times of crisis everyone, not just the middle class, needs to be patriotic and sacrifice just as we do in time of war.
You got that right! This is exactly what he meant! Many of the wealthy in this country have actually benefitted from the war (war profiteering - remember that phrase?). In past wars there was always sacrifice to pay for those wars but this time the only ones sacrificing are the middle and lower income folks. True patriotism does entail sacrifice and we haven't seen much of that from the upper classes. I also do recall many well-to-do people decrying Bush's tax cuts and saying *they* could afford to pay and were willing to do so. One of those, I believe was former president Bill Clinton.

It's about time the middle class got a break!!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,236,061 times
NO person and more especially some delusional politician, regardless of party affiliation, needs to define the bounds of my patriotism or that of any other person on this planet regardless of wealth or lack thereof.

None. Nada. Zip. The comment is egregious.

Not to mention that nasty little smirk on his face when he said it. Almost as bad as WJClinton wagging his... finger.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
NO person and more especially some delusional politician, regardless of party affiliation, needs to define the bounds of my patriotism or that of any other person on this planet regardless of wealth or lack thereof.

None. Nada. Zip. The comment is egregious.

Not to mention that nasty little smirk on his face when he said it. Almost as bad as WJClinton wagging his... finger.
The "comment" was in fact a reply, hence not egregious.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,267,501 times
It boils down to greed. The rich people are used to having money and living on a certain income--they aren't going to downsize their living, taxes or not. They'll make cutbacks in otherways to allow for the higher taxes--like cutting jobs, or scaling back benefits. In the end its STILL the middle and lower classes who will end up "paying for" the rich persons share of the burden.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
$250,000 is about the top 4.5% and up.

What about all the other taxes?

"Miscellaneous revenue-raisers. Senator Obama has proposed (1) taxing carried interest as ordinary income, (2) eliminating all oil and gas loopholes, (3) codifying the economic substance doctrine (requiring that transactions qualifying for tax benefits have economic justification beyond those benefits), (4) requiring publicly traded financial partnerships to pay the corporate income tax, (5) creating an international tax haven watch list of countries that do not share information returns with the United States (and potentially enacting sanctions against those countries), (6) imposing a windfall profits tax on oil and gas companies, (7) requiring information reporting of basis for capital gains, reallocating multinational tax deductions, and (8) closing loopholes in the corporate tax deductibility of CEO pay. Because not all provisions are identified, we cannot verify that revenue estimate but use it for 2009. We assume that the amount"

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa...teTaxPlans.pdf

Can we say halt whatever is left of the economy and send it spiraling into destruction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections