Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM

673 posts, read 2,723,464 times

Advertisements

After mulling the various data points on Sarah Palin, pro and con, I've concluded that she must have conviction, intelligence and perseverance to have effected change in a paralyzed and often unrepresentative political system. She must also possess a lot of social intelligence. No, she doesn't have as much experience as other potential VP candidates but this is where her present attributes will serve her well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,747,049 times
But do you agree with her on the issues?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,053,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
After mulling the various data points on Sarah Palin, pro and con, I've concluded that she must have conviction, intelligence and perseverance to have effected change in a paralyzed and often unrepresentative political system. She must also possess a lot of social intelligence. No, she doesn't have as much experience as other potential VP candidates but this is where her present attributes will serve her well.
What data points are you referring to? I hope you are using something other than Fox News.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,861,858 times
She and McCain won't have my vote, but all of the slamming is getting old.

THere are things about her that I disagree with completely. But I am beginning to admire her spunk and the strength she has and continues to exhibit.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,081,368 times
Quote:
THere are things about her that I disagree with completely. But I am beginning to admire her spunk and the strength she has and continues to exhibit.
Rep to you ***gasp*** for your honesty and realization what she does for WOMEN, no matter what political party they are from.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
What data points are you referring to? I hope you are using something other than Fox News.
Starting with the most subjective: her reputation, her experience, her convictions, her actions.

It's natural for each one of us to initially look for our own personal gain in a candidate. Ex. I am a small business owner and tend to focus on economical issues over social issues.

Politically and socially, I lean somewhat (not totally) to the right - albeit not as far as Sarah Palin. I want government out of my personal life and my pocket. Where someone's actions affect another or society as a whole, government has to be involved by definition.

BTW: here's a good recap of Sarah Palin's positions: Sarah Palin on the Issues. The bottom line is that I admire her conviction and willingness to challenge the status quo, even when I don't agree on a specific issue: for the simple reason that she believes she's representing her constituents.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,989,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Starting with the most subjective: her reputation, her experience, her convictions, her actions.

It's natural for each one of us to initially look for our own personal gain in a candidate. Ex. I am a small business owner and tend to focus on economical issues over social issues.

Politcally and socially, I lean somewhat (not totally) to the right - albeit not as far as Sarah Palin. I want government out of my personal life and my pocket. Where someone's actions affect another or society as a whole, government has to be involved by definition.

BTW: here's a good recap of Sarah Palin's positions: Sarah Palin on the Issues
I would be looking at her record not links from private interest groups.

Then people are going to start quoting her and McCain and see if it's rebutted or matches her record.

I saw a preview of an abortion commercial today against mccain as a good example. He's going to have to answer about it.

I might note they can also site data from decades ago and pretend it's current and several people change their postions as time goes on. It's highly unusual to believe everything you thought 20 years ago today.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I would be looking at her record not links from private interest groups.
I couldn't find where this link is a private interest group. If you find it, please share. Or share a verifiably objective (and current) link.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:51 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,208,183 times
Let's see...she was (pregnant?) Her water breaks, she insists on giving a speech regardless of the fact that this endangers the baby. She then flies back to Alaska and instead of going to a hospital where she lands, she goes to her small town hospital to deliver the baby. Gee, this woman can even control the timing of her baby popping out. Does not sound like a smart decision maker and someone that we would benefit from as as a VP, unless the rumours are true and this is really her daughter's kid.

Maybe she wanted to take the opportunity to shoot some wildlife out of the plane on the way home to Alaska. She chases them while she's in a plane until they drop from exhaustion and then she takes aim and blows them to smithereens. She calls this sport!

The woman is a freak and this so called Republican party has to be excised from our country! No room for global warming deniers and the likes of Ms. Palin...you reptiles are ruining things for evolved individuals. Did you hear and see those maniacs? "Drill! Drill! Dril!" Go away freaks and give the rest of us and the planet a chance for survival.

BTW..how's "abstinence only" working out for you Grandma Palin?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 AM

4,005 posts, read 10,875,018 times
Her 80% plus approval rating in her job as Governor including a 75% approval rating by Alaskan Democrats speaks pretty highly of her. At the least it shows she does the "peoples" business. She has excelled at every level, and I am willing to give her a chance to do so at at a national level. If she is 10% the reformist claimed, the Washington political machine better watch out. I think one thing we can all agree on is the abuse of power and tax dollars by the entire federal gov't. It would be a nice change to get someone a little closer to the average person in a position to actually make a difference. I do not agree with her on all the issues, but I like her results in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections