Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Anyone who is knowledgeable enough to use the word uppity, is also knowledgeable enough to understand the racial connotation associated with it. People use the term because, as evidenced by Elmonellie, they don't care if others are offended by it. This is a prime example of why black people are not going to vote Republican and, ultimately why their numbers are continuing to decline as American becomes more diverse. Sucks to be them...

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
EXACTLY. It's pretty much like saying, "By 'cracker' I just meant the person walked around in dirty bare feet a lot. Why on earth would you think I'm intimating that the person is white?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You have to have been asleep for the past four centuries to not know that "uppity" has one distinct racial connotation.

Well, asleep or deliberately ignorant.

Either way...ignorant.
How dare you! It seems as if you are trying to accuse me of being a typical white woman!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Anyone who is knowledgeable enough to use the word uppity, is also knowledgeable enough to understand the racial connotation associated with it. People use the term because, as evidenced by Elmonellie, they don't care if others are offended by it. This is a prime example of why black people are not going to vote Republican and, ultimately why their numbers are continuing to decline as American becomes more diverse. Sucks to be them...

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
I absolutely do not give a fig if someone is offended by a word.

The dems better get a grip. They are easily offended and it does not serve them well.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:11 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,584,774 times
Wow thats what white supremisists back in the civil rights days called black people with an education......that could be taken as a racist remark.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post

The dems better get a grip. They are easily offended and it does not serve them well.
Thank you very much, Jim Crow.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:23 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,115,694 times
He should be asked to for his resignation right NOW. His behavior and language is more obscene than any foot tapping in bathroom stalls. This is outrageous and shameful and there is no excuse for it in th 21st century. If his fellow republicans do not denounce him and do so quickly then they will have lost the last trace of decency they possess. And the denouncing should start with Senator McCain and Sarah Palin.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:28 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,115,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Yikes!! Uppity??? Well yes, many politicians are uppity. But should we give this a free ride?? I mean let's be consistent with our outrage ...eh??

YouTube - Jimmy Carter Calls Barack Obama A "Black Boy"

"black boy"....damn!
This is simply not true. In talking about how much Senator Obama has achieved through hard work and determination, President Carter stated that it was wonderful what a little black boy growing up in a home where he was raised by a single mother and without much money had achieved all he had. HE WAS TALKING ABOUT WHEN OBAMA WAS A LITTLE BOY NOT CALLING HIM A BOY NOW. Get your story straight.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
He should be asked to for his resignation right NOW. His behavior and language is more obscene than any foot tapping in bathroom stalls. This is outrageous and shameful and there is no excuse for it in th 21st century. If his fellow republicans do not denounce him and do so quickly then they will have lost the last trace of decency they possess. And the denouncing should start with Senator McCain and Sarah Palin.
Guess what? The speech police/thought police are starting to become tiresome.

If you don't want to call someone, white or black or purple "uppity" don't. I will if I chose to. I think a lot of dopey liberals are uppity and think they are more "caring" and "evolved" than people on the right. Uppity, uppity, uppity.

Obama is uppity. He's got his nose up in the air as if all the little people around him are offensive. Here is a shock: He's HALF WHITE AND STILL UPPITY!

At least he's "clean and articulate". Oh, the left doesn't have any problem with Hairplugjoe saying this? Why didn't they ask of HPJ for his resignation from the Senate when he said this. Oh, I forgot, he's on the left.

What a steaming load you libs are trying to sell. Few are buying it anymore.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,509 times
Oh, come on, people, GET A GRIP!!! I grew up in the south and southwest, and "uppity" was a word used frequently which means nothing more than that someone is putting on airs -- it is NOT an adjective reserved for black people!

Sometimes, this forum just gets TOO stupid.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:00 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post

Good advice! I wonder if they've ever heard the story about the little boy who cried wolf . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections