Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Oh, there are people here making a lot more that $50,000. In fact, GDP per capita is higher in the UK, and people have huge mortgages. Its ll about the inefficient, fiscal deliquant, retarded Bush politics. End of.

Then I would think if people make more than $50,000 they probably have some college if not a degree and they still didn't know enough now to sign a interest only loan that in a couple of years would go up. Or to take out the equity in their houses to fund their extra luxuries. Until no interest loans made their way on the scene we didn't have the problem. But I supposed Big, Bad, Bush made all these banks offer these loans. People need to take responsibility for their actions. I was talking about the US not the UK and the people here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 07:09 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,285,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yeah. Probably because so many Mexicans ( a third, I am told ) have gone back home. Now they have to pay more to get workers, but at least they speak English.

Told by whom? That is a little optimistic. My hubby's job is dealing with illegal immigrants and he says "no way" have that many gone home.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM

116 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
Free Preview - WSJ.com

84,000 jobs lost in August
6.1% unemployment rate

WE NEED CHANGE!

I am not sure if we need much change. Most of the ones unemployed are the ones that the left wing newspapers laid off because they can't sell their wacko newspapers. That's okay by me. Most of the rest were the ones that worked for union companies in states controlled by Democrats. That's probably why the democratically controlled government has the lowest approval rating in our history, which is lower than President Bush's low rating.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,437 times
Quote:
High unemployment and all those mortgage failures.

And I remember McBush saying he thought the economy was doing just fine.

Remember, they called us 'whiners'?

Judging from some posts here, I guess they still are - but I just think the wealthy elite do not square with the reality that most Americans are now living through.
The unemployment isn't that high, don't believe me? Take Economics 101
The mortgage failures/foreclosures account for less than 1% of households
The economy is ok, but not great. It's always changing, some strange new concept.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,109,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hmmmph. Let's see, according to traditional Democratic economists up through the late 90s, unemployment below 6% was an absolute impossibility. Now when unemployment edges up to 6%, you guys are squealing like a bunch of teenaged girls.

And while he offers tax incentives for new business startups, he will jack up corporate taxes and capital gains taxes. Oh, that's smart.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the United States is going through a nice little export boom at the moment. Yet Obama wants to rethink our free trade agreements. Didn't you fools study the Hawley Smoot Tariff Act in history?
great post. thanks for the history lesson. sending rep your way

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,905,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
"Obama wants to invade Pakistan, the most dangerous place in the world."

Barack Obama is as stupid and dangerous as Kennedy. Obama wants to invade Pakistan, the most dangerous place in the world, where Osama bin Ladin is holed up.

"Obama wants to add almost one-hundred thousand new troops to the U.S. military."

blackagendareport.com - Barack Obama the War Monger
That’s interesting ,,,,, just one more thing that Bush started and someone has to finish for him. I thought that Bush was going to get Osama bin Ladin the 1st term and then again on the 2nd time around,,,, guess I was mistaken.

Someone has to clean up a lot after many of the unfinished things George Bush is leaving behind him.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,544,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think a lot of the "unemployed" are people who do not want to be employed. I heard on the radio not long ago, and I wish I knew what I was listening to and where the figures came from, but I do not remember. Actually, it might have been "Money Talk." I think it was. But they said that unemployment now is actually lower than it has been a lot of times AND that the biggest percentage of unemployed people are people who are not high school graduates. The unemployment rate goes down the more education the person has. For people with a bachelor's degree, the unemployment rate is 2%. For master's degree it is less than that. Education is readily available in our country to anyone who wants to pursue it.
I agree. Both my daughter and her boyfriend recently moved to Washington D.C. and both are employed. They both have their bachelor's degree and their starting salaries are very decent. Daughter is 22 and boyfriend is 25. Education can provide an additional advantage depending on what field/industry you choose to pursue. We must keep in mind that location, location, location, is a significant factor that must be considered when seeking employment opportunities.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,242,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I agree. Both my daughter and her boyfriend recently moved to Washington D.C. and both are employed. They both have their bachelor's degree and their starting salaries are very decent. Daughter is 22 and boyfriend is 25. Education can provide an additional advantage depending on what field/industry you choose to pursue. We must keep in mind that location, location, location, is a significant factor that must be considered when seeking employment opportunities.
I think unemployment rates vary greatly by region. It's funny you mentioned D.C., I was reading an article recently that stated D.C. has an unemployment rate of <1%. Contrast that with Detroit that has at least a 12% unemployment rate. Sometimes you just have to go where the jobs are. We are headed to Houston soon here b/c unemployment in my city is nearly as bad as Detroit.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,694,594 times
It's pretty clear that when Republicans run the country the workers are the ones who endure hardships. Even when the economy booms, like it did durin the Reagan years, the working class suffers (take a look at cities like Pittsburgh or Youngstown.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,341,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
How can you blame congress over Bush policies.. do you know of the $1 trillion dollar war in Iraq?
Actually, it's more like 1/2 trillion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections