Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,707,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Too many facts get lost in all of the huffing and puffing. One person will state a stance then the rebuttal usually turns out to be something like "he's a crackhead" or "her daughter's a *****". If people post positively and factually then you get a much better thread of information on each candidate from someone other than the candidates writing team who posted it on their website. Yes I can form my own opinion, but it's also nice to hear others.
I think the Obamatrons really need to work on their candidates profile before they bash this one. Have you seen their page? There is practically nothing on it except rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,884,746 times
he will make the Bush tax cuts permanent. John McCain does not request or recieve ear marks and pork spending. He leads by example and will go after the cronies in DC that are in the pocket of special interests. He uderstands the grave security implications oil and energy have and that we have to take measures to protect our interests throughout the globe. He infuriates all these knuckleheads at CD forum

He gotta hot VP

Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I think the Obamatrons really need to work on their candidates profile before they bash this one. Have you seen their page? There is practically nothing on it except rubbish.
Actually I think the Obama supporters are out getting drinks or in bed. Based on a lot of what I have been seeing, and take no offense, but they seem less high strung and sleep better

Old 09-06-2008, 01:12 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,586,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
You can but it would work better (I think) if you offered it in the Obama thread so it doesn't overlap. (i think I said that right)
https://www.city-data.com/forum/5150123-post17.html

Done.

I'd particularly appreciate if ocexpo reads.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:26 AM

745 posts, read 2,211,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
  1. McCain is a maverick. He has a record of crossing party lines to get things done, and does not engage in standard party bickering. He has worked with Ted Kennedy, and other prominent Democrats to work on bills that were not popular within his party, and he did it because he believes in compromise rather than party bickering.
  2. McCain has a record of leadership. He has helped to author, had his name on, or cosponsored over 100 bills during his carrer. Obama has only cosponsored 2 bills but never introduced one himself.
  3. McCain has served his country, and truly knows what it means to be an American. At his convention, the people chanted "USA" rather than "McCain" like at the other convention because it is the party of patriots with a great patriot at the top of the ticket.
  4. McCain does NOT want to punish the wealthy and businesses at their attempt at the American Dream. Taxing already overburdened small businesses and corporations will drive them to close altogether or leave the country, a concept Obama doesn't seem to understand.
  5. McCain was RIGHT in his quest for a troop surge. He has TREMENDOUS foreign credentials, which are greatly needed in such a dangerous world. One thing you cannot say about Bush is that after 911 (which I put the blame for that on Clinton who cut $35 billion from defense systems during his presidency) we have never been attacked. Had an Obama or Gore been president, we would have been attacked again without question.
  6. McCain is a pro life, a stance I share with him. Think about it this way, had Obama's mom gotten an abortion because she was a young mother (as many young mothers do), the "beloved King Obama" wouldn't even be here right now. I am fine with things like birth control and "morning after pills" but once a baby is there, I believe it has rights.
  7. McCain wants to make English this countries OFFICIAL LANGUAGE. This is one of the main reasons I am a republican to begin with. Our nation needs to be an english speaking country for the sake of unity. I am very at odds with McCain on immigration, but I do think we have a better hope of "putting off amnesty" under McCain. Since he wants to build the wall first, we have time. Obama wants to get those people legalized as fast as he can to admit millions of new democrats into the system.
  8. I have NO DOUBT that John McCain will reduce the wasteful government spending, and I know Sarah Palin will be on his side on conquering our way oversized government. It is ridiculous how oversized our government has come (and it is more broken than it has ever been).
  9. I dont think America is a system of social welfare where the poor can just be handed money just because they make none of their own. We shouldn't have people in this country that leech of the American people. Obama almost promotes those social programs. John McCain tries to solve those problems by enriching job avaliability to put people into society instead of throwing them money as a band-aid.
  10. Our economy is in the tank, and Obama's programs will undoubtedly increase unemployment, cause rampant inflation, etc. Taxing people in this society to death does NOT work. John McCain knows that "indirectly" taxing the people is the same as taxing them. When you tax businesses more, that tax is passed on to the consumer who, in turn, ends up paying more for that product. It will be DEVASTATING to the lower class if we do this. They cant afford goods, could you imagine if everything around them goes up in price because Obama has taxed the parent companies from where they buy there goods to death?
  11. Energy independence does NOT come from cutting off oil altogether, that will not work and Obama knows it. McCain has it right. We need to drill HERE AND NOW! While we continue to develop the technologies needed to be more "green" we cant just eliminate all of our oil consumption, and anyone who thinks it will be a "1 day change" like Obama proposes is sorely mistaken. McCain's plans aren't a quick solution, they will take time.
  12. One misconception is that McCain doesn't support a "comprehensive medical reform" bill, which is totally false. He wants EVERYONE to have access to healthcare, but he doesn't want it to be under a government beurocracy (sp?). His plan is to give people vouchers to access the healthcare programs and doctors that are best for each family rather than one large government run health care system. After all, isn't it already a pain in the a** when we have to deal with the government? Could you imagine how much more difficult it would be if we have to turn to our government for our healthcare?
McCain/Palin, the REAL change Washington needs in 2008!
If I may offer a very different prospective as a McCain supporter that is more socially liberal than conservative and votes Democratic more often than Republican. More technically I guess I'm anti-Bush as socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

But another very important point is that divided government operates so much more efficiently than either party controlling the presidency and Congress. Too much power leads to corruption, control, and an unwillingness to compromise. Threads get lost quickly in this forum, but I've stated several times that it's very interesting how the trend continues again and again that if a party gets control of the presidency and Congress, be it Clinton or Bush or before either, things go poorly and the party in power soon suffers massive losses. To me, it's pretty clear that the best government lies somewhere between liberal and conservatives and requires compromise.

This is coupled with the first point that corexpo made. McCain is willing to work with both parties, he's willing to compromise. I don't doubt his personal character in the least and I truly believe that while I agree with Obama more than McCain, that the country will best off with a McCain presidency.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
If I may offer a very different prospective as a McCain supporter that is more socially liberal than conservative and votes Democratic more often than Republican. More technically I guess I'm anti-Bush as socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

But another very important point is that divided government operates so much more efficiently than either party controlling the presidency and Congress. Too much power leads to corruption, control, and an unwillingness to compromise. Threads get lost quickly in this forum, but I've stated several times that it's very interesting how the trend continues again and again that if a party gets control of the presidency and Congress, be it Clinton or Bush or before either, things go poorly and the party in power soon suffers massive losses. To me, it's pretty clear that the best government lies somewhere between liberal and conservatives and requires compromise.

This is coupled with the first point that corexpo made. McCain is willing to work with both parties, he's willing to compromise. I don't doubt his personal character in the least and I truly believe that while I agree with Obama more than McCain, that the country will best off with a McCain presidency.
Information gets lost as well....it's a main reason why I wanted to promoted discussion in separate arenas around just one candidate. Thanks for your input

So for you it's more about the parties working together than a President having a specific agenda that may or may not help the country? Is that an accurate statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections