Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 12:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This may seem off-topic, but I think KLDanford has hit upon something very telling here.
Yes, I think she has hit upon something
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
fine. you just live in your stingy, self-focused life. have fun.
If your not for the government taking from you, and giving to someone else, your obviousl stingy, self-focused. Note that this is being said without knowing one didly squat about me, nor any knowledge as to what I donate. I guess if you dont support the government taking from you, then you should be called names when all other arguments fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 12:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Im sorry, I thought we were having a serious conversation, what a ridiculous response. I didn't realize that irrational examples of things that represent .00001% of the situations were in play.
Have you done statistical sampling? I mean, you put something out there and then resort to attacks when questions are asked. Who is being ridiculous?

Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

If your not for the government taking from you, and giving to someone else, your obviousl stingy, self-focused. Note that this is being said without knowing one didly squat about me, nor any knowledge as to what I donate. I guess if you dont support the government taking from you, then you should be called names when all other arguments fail.
You are such a yawn, pgh. You're the Straw Man Argument king (or queen...I don't know).

Who said you're being accused of being stingy and self-focused because of the government "not taking from" you? Did you read any of the details of any of these posts? Or do you just like to exaggerate and then come on here to spew your venom because it gets you more attention this way?

Sad.

Learn to read, hon. It will make you much more interesting in conversation.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:29 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Have you done statistical sampling? I mean, you put something out there and then resort to attacks when questions are asked. Who is being ridiculous?
You really think that your question of if we should "just kill them" was a legitimate response that deserved a legitimate answer?

Tell me what you consider an "unexpected" pregnancy, because I am willing to bet we have a huge disagreement on that definition.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:32 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Pity that people have to determine their life by the need to get health cover. Instead of going into a career because that is what they are best at or enjoy, they now have to think "Health Cover" first, career and quality of life second.
Yes, you're so right - what if you want to be a social worker, for example, helping your fellow citizens? It doesn't pay well, although it should because it's so important (more important than those movie stars and athletes, for sure). So, should no one go into that field that is so very much needed?

So, I guess everyone has to go into banking or something, and we'll have no lower-paying jobs because people can't afford health insurance with those jobs.

Most of the jobs in the U.S. do NOT pay well - the median income is only $45K for a household - so 50% are below that. And, all jobs must be filled by someone, and people are good at different things.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuvopolis View Post
More and more it seems that Americans need to cover their own health care costs. In other words, a more capitalistic model. While some diseases and disorders are highly preventable through lifestyle changes, many others are highly genetic (bipolar, cancer, etc.). Should such people go broke trying to be treated for/cured of these? Bottom line is, under McCain's "plan", if you have one of these pre-existing conditions you will never get individual insurance, albeit at insane rates. And with more employers dropping group plans, you could very well be out of luck . Pretty callous to say the least. Unfortunately, Obama's plan has a major flaw in that by increasing the cost of employment, the outsourcing of jobs may accelerate even further.

With having the goverment just provide health insurance to the uninsured, the above problems would be rectified. The big problem, of course, is that the good doctors may flee elsewhere to practice their trade. Also, the goverment tends to be inefficient monetarily when performing many functions. Taxes would go up, but that would be offset a little by increased productivity because of fewer sick days.

There are no good solutions .
The insurance companies wouldn't insure anyone who's ever been sick! I wouldn't get it because I had cancer twice. But, I'm cured, and most likely it won't come back. I can't get life insurance, and if we had private health insurance, I wouldn't get that.

MANY people would not get it - the insurance companies would be turning down anyone who ever had a cold.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

I apologize if i made any false assumptions about you. I was going off of the words you posted, which indeed seemed stingy and self-focused.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You are such a yawn, pgh. You're the Straw Man Argument king (or queen...I don't know).

Who said you're being accused of being stingy and self-focused because of the government "not taking from" you?
Obviously your having a difficult time following the thread.. here let me help..
Quote:
fine. you just live in your stingy, self-focused life. have fun.
After all, this whole thread is about how people think they are entitled to take from those who work hard, and give it to those who dont think they shouldnt be responsible to buy their own insurance..

Last edited by pghquest; 09-09-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I wish I knew, because right about now I will vote for anyone, including the guy next door, who will give me relief from the $16,000. a year we spend on health insurance..It's a killer.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I apologize if i made any false assumptions about you. I was going off of the words you posted, which indeed seemed stingy and self-focused.
Apology accepted.. if you read any of my postings, I believe that giving should be local, and voluntarily, and consider it an obligation as helping out your neighbor, not because your commanded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections