Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,052,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I bet if you PM them they will give you the address that you can start sending money. I donate enough as it is "just to get by"
I do "send" "them" money. I pay my taxes. If my taxes go up a little...I don't whine and cry about it. I pay it. Tomorrow it could be me. It could be you. And if I am all my life the one to pay the taxes and not the one to receive the "handout"...then GOD BLESS ME because I never needed it...I was the one living the lucky life.

We...are...a...society.

Go live off the fat of the land with Ted Nugent or something if you hate "handing out" money to "the next guy" (who could eventually be you) so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,200,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Wow, what a bitter bunch.

Sounds like a lot of people who tried to get a free ride of somebody (Mom and Dad? Grandma? An inheritance? The government?), were unceremoniously denied, and now have decided that NOBODY else should "get a free ride" because "Hay-uhl, ah had tah pull mahself up bah mah bootstraps!" (snort...hawk...scratch).

Except this person is working two jobs. Doesn't sound like a lazy loafing freeloader to me.

I mean people. Come on. The unbelievable bitterness and snottiness...holy cow. Got to be something personal in here.

You may not have noticed, but we do live in a society, which by definition means we are social...and like any social animal, we do work collectively and help one another. That disgusts some people. Fine--so go live in a cave, dig grubs and tubers with your own fingernails and deny yourself the benefits of living in a society, too. If you want to be a society...you're going to have to live by social rules. And these mean sometimes helping the next guy...who could tomorrow be helping you. Sorry if you don't like it.
There is a HUGE difference between getting a free ride off someone who decides to give you that free ride at THEIR expense, (i.e. Mom, Dad, Grandparents) and someone DEMANDING a free ride at MY expense..

As for us living in "society".. sorry, I live in a neighborhood, where I choose to help neighbors, thats a CHOICE I have, and if I dont like that choice, I can move somewhere that I have no responsibilities. Again, HUGE difference between being FORCED to help people, especially someone who may live in another state. The government was setup on a STATE level for a reason. I'm getting sick and tired of everyone looking to the fedreal government for solutions when problems need to be fixed on a local level..

Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,643 times
Quote:
Wow, what a bitter bunch.

Sounds like a lot of people who tried to get a free ride of somebody (Mom and Dad? Grandma? An inheritance? The government?), were unceremoniously denied, and now have decided that NOBODY else should "get a free ride" because "Hay-uhl, ah had tah pull mahself up bah mah bootstraps!" (snort...hawk...scratch).

Except this person is working two jobs. Doesn't sound like a lazy loafing freeloader to me.

I mean people. Come on. The unbelievable bitterness and snottiness...holy cow. Got to be something personal in here.

You may not have noticed, but we do live in a society, which by definition means we are social...and like any social animal, we do work collectively and help one another. That disgusts some people. Fine--so go live in a cave, dig grubs and tubers with your own fingernails and deny yourself the benefits of living in a society, too. If you want to be a society...you're going to have to live by social rules. And these mean sometimes helping the next guy...who could tomorrow be helping you. Sorry if you don't like it.
What puzzles me is that every liberal thinks that government is the only answer, when it has been the root of much of our problems. Isn't the definition of insanity when you repeat the same mistakes and expect different results?

Yes, many of us have worked our way through life and have come from nothing. We simply know that it can be done, and it's not government's role to hold your hand. It's about working smart and having priorities. For some that means healthcare, for others it means having a newer car and a cell phone. You should be free to make your own choices, but don't expect the government to pick up the slack if you choose the poor ones.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Great post. Bravo. You said what makes us human beings.
Um, all he did was copy/paste another website..

Old 09-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
There is a HUGE difference between getting a free ride off someone who decides to give you that free ride at THEIR expense, (i.e. Mom, Dad, Grandparents) and someone DEMANDING a free ride at MY expense..
No there isn't. From a moral standpoint, there is no difference.

Yes. You are "forced", sometimes, to help people. Big deal. Pull up your big-boy panties and get over it. Again. It's being societal. So sorry. Jump in a bowl and become a Japanese fighting fish if you'd rather fight the big fight alone. As for electing exactly whom you'll help, at exactly certain times and in exact places, well now, aren't you the God of your own little world. Since the world does not revolve around you (gasp!), no, you don't always, as a member of a society, get to chose those exact options.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
What puzzles me is that every liberal thinks that government is the only answer, when it has been the root of much of our problems. Isn't the definition of insanity when you repeat the same mistakes and expect different results?

Yes, many of us have worked our way through life and have come from nothing. We simply know that it can be done, and it's not government's role to hold your hand. It's about working smart and having priorities. For some that means healthcare, for others it means having a newer car and a cell phone. You should be free to make your own choices, but don't expect the government to pick up the slack if you choose the poor ones.
Uh, no. Every liberal does not "think that government is the only answer". I sure don't. "Helping" does not mean "relying on 100%, no matter what". It's exactly that...helping. One more time, the OP says s/he is working two jobs. TWO. How is that relying on the government to totally solve his or her problems? This person is certainly doing everything in his power to row his own boat.

Please don't give me the "working hard, coming from nothing" bit. My college money was spent by my aunt, who was trustee to my grandfather's will, to fund new cars and apartments for her sons and an abortion for her oldest son's girlfriend. I was sexually abused, then told if I "didn't like it" I could "get the f * ck out" and "do it" all on my own. I was told that no help would be given me in order to secure a college loan. This was all done specifically so that I could not leave the house and could not go to college and therefore would be stuck in my position. I fled the house with my young son and literally received not one dime from anybody. Not a dime. Certainly not from the government.

My childhood was stolen, my inheritance was stolen, my biological father ran away to Texas to avoid having to help myself or my sister (or even acknowledge us) and I slept on a floor for years so my son could have a bed in a one-bedroom apartment I could afford and still I am not as bitter as you Pub pig-headed people about how others "should" have it tough because I did. In my view, nobody should have it that tough. NOBODY.

Maybe that's the difference between "crazy Libs" and Republicans. We crazy Libs don't take out our own pasts on the people around us; we try to change everyone's future by making the world a better and more welcomign place.

29,939 posts, read 39,507,656 times
Quote:
I do "send" "them" money. I pay my taxes. If my taxes go up a little...I don't whine and cry about it. I pay it. Tomorrow it could be me. It could be you. And if I am all my life the one to pay the taxes and not the one to receive the "handout"...then GOD BLESS ME because I never needed it...I was the one living the lucky life.

We...are...a...society.

Go live off the fat of the land with Ted Nugent or something if you hate "handing out" money to "the next guy" (who could eventually be you) so much.

When will you folks figure out the government can't run social programs. Why not ask him to fix the problems that are there instead of making new ones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I bet if you PM them they will give you the address that you can start sending money. I donate enough as it is "just to get by"

1 item alone glucose monitors I will be donating here shortly over $2,000 of them.....there's part of my plan to solve health care problems.
You missed part of my reply to you.

4,105 posts, read 8,298,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm noticing that your having a problem staying focused to the topic at hand without going off on a tangent. Have you seen a doctor to see if they can perscribe some medication for you? Rumor has it that the government will pickup the bill for you, after all, if that wasnt the government way in the past, give it time, it soon will be.
Hey, I'm just telling her how it is, friend

2,935 posts, read 6,721,643 times
Quote:
And how much of your taxes go towards helping those that are less fortunate?

If you were to donate $100 to make a difference, would it be to the Red Cross, or to the US Treasury? Be honest.

Liberals would impress me more if they would realize that there are other ways of solving a problem other than with government. Competition provides multiple solutions, multiple levels of quality, and multiple levels of cost... whereas government provides mediocrity at a high cost. Do you guys have tunnel vision so much that you can't think outside the box and realize government isn't the only answer? Instead you think that if someone feels government isn't the best answer, that there is no answer to be had.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
I think this is what annoys me most about Obama. He claims to have been a successful community leader, and this helps him to be qualified to be president, but if he was a successful community leader, then he knows that there are small organizations nationwide to help individuals, and that the government isnt needed to meddle in everyones business. But, if he wasnt so successful, then I could see why he thinks that the government is the "solution".. not the problem..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections