Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,611 times

Advertisements

I've worked for 15 long years to build my small business. Years of working 24/7, struggling to make payroll, tens of thousands of dollars of debt, horrible levels of stress and fear.

My business has finally gained traction. I may be able to stay out debt, fix the leaking roof, afford health insurance, save for retirement, save for my child's college education.

But Obama thinks I'm rich now and wants to take away what I've earned? What was the point???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 08:08 AM

454 posts, read 749,055 times
Small Businesses be afraid of Obama tax policies, and his redistribution agenda, go out in droves and vote for McCain.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,646,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
I've worked for 15 long years to build my small business. Years of working 24/7, struggling to make payroll, tens of thousands of dollars of debt, horrible levels of stress and fear.

My business has finally gained traction. I may be able to stay out debt, fix the leaking roof, afford health insurance, save for retirement, save for my child's college education.

But Obama thinks I'm rich now and wants to take away what I've earned? What was the point???

Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,409 times
why are you afraid of Obama?

Barack Obama will eliminate all capital gains taxes on start-up and small businesses to encourage innovation and job creation. Obama will also support small business owners by providing a $500 “Making Work Pay” tax credit to almost every worker in America. Self-employed small business owners pay both the employee and the employer side of the payroll tax, and this measure will reduce the burdens of this double taxation.
(from barackobama.com)

Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 AM

1,881 posts, read 2,685,729 times
I am a small business owner and have looked at his policies, he will shut me down with his ideas.

I cannot afford to pay more taxes, double capital gains and all his other communistic ways of taxing us.

This country is built on small business and Obama wants to shut us down.

On top of that he wants to see 10.00 per hour min. wage in his 4 years.

Min. wage is there for a reason, for someone to take out the trash and clean to bathrooms.

My top employee makes 15.00 per hour and works 60 per week, great employee with skills to boot. No way is my bottom employee worth 5.00 per hour let alone 10.00 per hour.

He will destroy you if you own a small business. Look at his policies.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,559,236 times
The outcome of this election and the impact of the two tax, business, and solcial policies is a critical component of several business plans I have developed recently. This impacts both the financial business model (based on the stated specific policies they have put out there) and also the critical risk factors (based on the stated general policies they have put out there).

In each case Obama's policies have a very negative impact to the business plans. Under McCain the business investment moves forward with no issues.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:20 AM

857 posts, read 2,003,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
On top of that he wants to see 10.00 per hour min. wage in his 4 years.

Min. wage is there for a reason, for someone to take out the trash and clean to bathrooms.

My top employee makes 15.00 per hour and works 60 per week, great employee with skills to boot. No way is my bottom employee worth 5.00 per hour let alone 10.00 per hour.
wow. didn't take long for you to show your true colors.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:22 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,611 times
Most small business profit is treated as income, not capital gains. And employer tax on just the owner's income is small relative to other business expenses. And the employer will still be paying employment taxes on all other employees along with the many other employment taxes at the federal and state level. And how is a $500 credit to an employee going to help a small business?

And, mark my words, the term "small business" will be redefined for the convenience of the policy. My small business is "too small" for some perks and "too large" for other breaks. Go figure.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:24 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,755 times
Quote:

I'm sorry. I think there are a lot of business owners who feel like you right now. The only thing you can do is vote for McCain, and maybe confer with your tax preparer to see if there is anything you can do to protect what you have worked so hard to build.

My husband is also a business owner, and he told me he was a liberal hippie until he owned a business and almost over night, he became a conservative. I guess that's what happens when you have responsibilities; you find you cannot remain politically liberal.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:47 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,511 times
Quote:
Exactly. What's the sense in trying when the reward is not commensurate with the effort? Why assume the risk and stress and limited income when you can just throw it to the wind and go work 40/50 hrs a week for a large company with a legal department that protects it and you still make a comparable income?

I think BO supporters are like spray-and-pray shooters in their class warfare: They don't care who they shoot with their taxes (and fees) as long as there's a chance to hit a rich person.

Mostly though, I don't blame BO as much as I do old people. Slavery in the form of stealing the product of my labor is alive and well in the form of Social Security/Medicare which takes 17% of my income (when state matching Medicare is taken into account).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
why are you afraid of Obama?
Because anytime a politician speaks, they're lying. It doesn't matter what BO says he's going to do. When it comes to actual policy, his grand ideas (which have been changing in relation to the electorate he's courting) have to make it through Congress. There, 435 idiots get together to see how they can make a good idea bad. The only thing I want to hear from a politician is less.

You should try one of those posts on some naive kids or wage slaves who've chosen to suckle on a corporation rather than be their own persons. Those people are the idiots-- those with no real experience of government-- who trust the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
In each case Obama's policies have a very negative impact to the business plans. Under McCain the business investment moves forward with no issues.
Please give specifics that us college drop-outs would understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_2007 View Post
wow. didn't take long for you to show your true colors.
You've never been the one writing a paycheck (and taxes, insurance and fees associated with labor) for a person who shows up late, doesn't want to work and is regularly found behind the building smoking or eating during work hours but you don't want to fire them for fear of a lawsuit, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections