Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:40 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,918,067 times

Advertisements

here is a 100% democratic community and how it doesn't help its residents.

YouTube - Response to Obama, 7: Liberals and the fall of Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:29 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,426,135 times
Quote:
I am aware of Obama's plan to tax people with incomes over $250,000.
Are you also aware that Obama's tax of those incomes is nothing more than a repel of the tax breaks Bush cut that income bracket in 01 & 03? The same tax breaks that were set to expire in 2010?

Clearly the trickle down economics haven't been working. McCain on the other hand plans to permanently extend them. Well isn't that just great. Has he or anyone else told you that by permanently extending those tax cuts, without making up for it elsewhere by either raising taxes or cutting spending, that the Debt to GDP will reach 100% by 2035 and 200% by 2050? And those are old pre-Iraq war numbers. Just imagine what they are now.

People can argue that Bush inherited a recession all they want but the undeniable fact is that his policies haven't made it any better which then makes the tax rate under Clinton the better of the two options. The very same tax rate hike Obama is talking about. But once again its not a hike, its an early repel of something set to expire anyway.

Republicans have run under supply side economics for 16/17 years now without admitting that there are flaws in in that system. If you don't make up for those flaws it doesn't work. One of the biggest catches of supply side economics is that the government must make a proportionate spending cut. Lose a tax dollar, cut a spending dollar. I think we can all agree that that's not happened under either party.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:34 PM

145 posts, read 291,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Virtually nobody thinks this. But clearly you've bought into the myth that that's what anyone who supports Obama wants to happen. Do you truly think that most successful people got where they are because they worked hard and saved money and everyone who didn't is a pregnant teenage mom scamming the welfare system or a pot smoking Burger King employee? There are many hard working people across this country who could benefit from some assistance. Do you think that quite possibly the difference between the hard working wealthy people, and those that are struggling, might be low wages, some bad luck and misfortune. Do you think all of these people want to live off or scam the system? Or do you think that they might want just a little assistance from the government? Maybe health coverage when they have a pre-existing condition, or a tax credit to help offset the increasing cost of not only gas but basic groceries?
Additionally, most people with incomes over $250,000 aren't going to stop investing if they have to pay more in taxes.
I am sure you are a very good hearted person Paige. I am not saying people with lower incomes are just a bunch of dope heads and pregnant teens. There are a lot of people out there who need help...but they need to find it from the right places and not take advantage of the tax payers.
No one can be denied health care in the United States. You can apply for MediCare and MedicAid if you need assistance. They have become real sticklers lately because of the people trying to take advantage of the system.
I do think people who make $250, 000 a year in income have worked very hard to get where they are. Many are college grads who have spent a great deal of money to get an education and make their American Dream come true. That is the beauty of the United States....you can be anything you want to be....there are opportunities out there...but you have make it happen. It doesn't matter if your parents are living in poverty and your dream is to go to college and become a doctor. If you work hard, you can get full scholarships and make your dream a reality!!! That is how it works! Do most of you not give this speech to your own children? I do. I tell them if they work hard in school and stay out of trouble, then they can be anything they want to be!! BUT IT TAKES EFFORT AND HARD WORK!!! I don't want my kids to have to ask for freebees from the government.
If you need help there are plenty of Non-profit private organizations to go to instead of expecting the federal government to take care of you.
Democrats need to learn to take care of themselves!!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:40 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,325,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieSherry View Post
\.
4. She partially lied about the bridge to Nowhere, and then kept the $$$. Where did that money go to?

To build the road to nowhere...bridge to nowhere - to road to nowhere

Old 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieSherry View Post
I vote for the person and not for the party. Barrack lies less that McCain and Palin.

1. Palin a few days ago said she made the speech on her own, the teleprompter was not working. LIE ..it was working
2. Palin who was a mayor of Wasilla, left the town in debt, building a Huge Sports Arena. She started building it without even owning the land. The next mayor ended up purchasing the land for a larger amount of money.
3. Said she visited Iraq and Ireland. Turns out she was not ever in Iraq and the plane she was on stopped stopped in Ireland to refuel.
4. She partially lied about the bridge to Nowhere, and then kept the $$$. Where did that money go to?
5. The Gas pipeline she said she had built, won't start being constructed for another year.

McCain:
1. He was for deregulation and helped pass a bill for it. You remember Less government. We shall never forget his involvement with Lincoln Savings.
2. He said he knows how to find Bin Ladin and once he is President he will go find him.
3. He said, " I was the chairman on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation for six years," he told reporters aboard his "Straight Talk Express" campaign bus amid Monday's market meltdown. "That's the committee that oversights our economy — transportation, science, telecommunications, airlines — all of the factors that drive our economy." How come that committee could not change what is happening now? He wants to form another committee or commission to address our economy?
4. He says, Change is coming,'" McCain said. "There's two mavericks coming to Washington, and we're going to shake it up." This is the man that only a few months ago said he wanted LESS government and now he is going to tell compainies how much they will pay their CEOs?
5. He is for privatizing our social security? Privatizing when the financial system and our government are falling apart?
6. McCain talks about abolishing the lobbyists when in fact there are 59 of them working on his campaign.

I don't know about you but I have had enough of the lies of our government. The Rumsfields, Cheneys, Roves, and Bushes, let the chapter end and let the history begin with these people.

We all have to be pro-active in government. Please people don't keep re-electing your same government officials. What has it gotten us? The Republicans say the democrats want free handouts but the Republicans give free handouts to Corporations.
I have lost thousands already in my retirement account, will the government pay me back the losses that were caused by the banking industry? No. I am not getting any handouts but Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and others are getting help.

I admit Obama doesn't fit the perfect bill but the lies coming out of his mouth are alot less than comes out of the Maverick's mouth. I listen to what he says and he seems more capable of fixing this economy. He is talking about forming a commission. We saw how long and how affective that the 9/11 commission was.

What is ruining this country of ours is the 800 billion trade deficit. The HUGE amount of jobs being lost to out sourcing. The government bail out of AIG, hundreds of their customer service jobs were outsourced to India.

We have to stop all this Free Trade, and start producing here in the United States. Lets bring back the manufacturing, lets bring back the Customer Service jobs. Lets get our people to working and prospering.

Equal Trade not Free Trade. China's economy is better than ours. We all know why this plays out.
These politicians have practically ruined our government and ruined our nation. Lets all be more pro-active and know the bills that they write up and want to pass. Politicians are not for us, the people, they are for theirselves. We need to band the lobbyists. We need accountability with our government.

No more for no bid government contracts, no more Black Waters.

Only the strongest will survive in the future, allow it to be YOU!!!

Bush said yesterday, "We are at War". Let that war involve us, The american people, being pissed at our elected officials and tell them we won't take it anymore. Know who your elected officials are, phone them, email them of your wants and needs. Lets bring back the America we once knew, lets restore the confidance that we once had in our government. We need JOBS!!! And these jobs are not working at Walmart.
I really agree Palin is just another good ole boy republican in a pretty package they will not change things and we need change and that has to start with us the people us little people can make a great impact on them we provide all the money to their cause I do not know how to go about it but if we banded together and took action I am sure we could start making the changes this country needs to get healthy again

Old 09-18-2008, 12:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,902,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
here is a question, where is obama's pipeline? you are admitting that mccain's VP candidate is further along on a solution than your own presidential candidate.
by the way, on #5 you clearly do not understand the economy. privatizing social security would be imperative if, as you say, our government is falling apart. if the government is falling apart you would not want them handling social security and / or health care, yet obama would have them do both. eventually we would be bailing out both programs on the taxpayers dime. the free market system creates competition and therefore lower prices. this is not the time of roosevelt and we do not have a big enough labor pool to fund all of these government programs. it would be a disaster for working americans.
Here's a question, where is Palin's pipeline? Do you have pictures? Have they even started construction? Moved a single shovel-load of dirt? Why should we give credit to Palin for a pipeline that doesn't even exist?

Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
My guess is the OP is pissed because he/she is a democrat. Most of them are pissed people.
I'd say good guess but it too obvious. A pissed, whiny party waiting for Obama's promised free pony for all.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:46 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
I've decided to support McCain.

Since he continually brags about having fought the Republicans I'm gonna join him and vote Democratic, that should help fight those pesky Republicans

Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM

145 posts, read 291,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've decided to support McCain.

Since he continually brags about having fought the Republicans I'm gonna join him and vote Democratic, that should help fight those pesky Republicans
It is ignorant comments like that that give us Republicans even more ammunition. Typical Liberal....mouth open, insert foot. I bet you wear Tevas and eat granola too..

Old 09-18-2008, 12:52 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,426,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2My3 View Post
Democrats need to learn to take care of themselves!!!!
I always wonder why people say this when its the republican states sucking up more of our tax dollars these days.

17 of the 20 (85%) states receiving the most federal spending per dollar of federal taxes paid are Red States.

More info: TaxProf Blog: Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections