Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,847,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Get a better accountant.
If only that were a solution. Georgia Dem is 100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,485,789 times
From concerned quelinda:

Quote:
I earn quite a bit of money (middle six figures since you're feeling sorry for me) and I only work 4 days a week HAHA. So life is great for me. Its many millions of other Americans that I worry about though.
It sounds to me like you could afford to give $300,000 a year to poor folks and still live comfortably. Why don't you do that?

Life is great for you but it is literally torture for you to have to speak to an Indian on the phone?

Old 09-28-2008, 04:37 PM

877 posts, read 2,769,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Is that including the 5,000 rebate?
Yes. Being single, McCain's tax rebate would be 2,500 I believe. The 5,000 is based on a family. Last time I looked for individual health insurance in New York it was about 300 per month so I would end up paying approximately 1100 over the rebate that he has suggested and that is not taking into account the way health insurance increases on a yearly basis.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,485,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
Yes. Being single, McCain's tax rebate would be 2,500 I believe. The 5,000 is based on a family. Last time I looked for individual health insurance in New York it was about 300 per month so I would end up paying approximately 1100 over the rebate that he has suggested and that is not taking into account the way health insurance increases on a yearly basis.
If the health care credit exists does that mean that your employer would stop providing health care? Which is mostly provided at their expense?

Just curious.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:54 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,905,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
McCain is proposing to do tax cuts across the board. So how again will your taxes go up?
Obama has a visions of handouts, which apparently you do agree with.
Paying interest on our debt is already around 10% of our budget.

Assuming everything stayed as is (at our current deficit) for four years, I'd expect interest on the debt being closer to 15% of our budget (just for interest on our debt).

And then throw in the bailout cost.

And then throw in the Iraq war (120 Billion / year)

And then throw in McCain's proposed tax cuts (predicted by tax policy center to cost 5 Trillion dollars through 2013).

But McCain will cut all earmarks - 18 Billion / year!
(a pebble in a lake)

.. something doesn't quite add up

Old 09-28-2008, 05:01 PM

877 posts, read 2,769,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
If the health care credit exists does that mean that your employer would stop providing health care? Which is mostly provided at their expense?

Just curious.
That is my understanding of the proposal. You would get the health care credit if you were purchasing your own coverage. If your Employer maintained coverage for you, you would be taxed on what they provide. Basically, from what I have been reading, if Employers no longer received a tax break on health benefits some of them would just stop offering it so it would leave you to look for your own coverage. The tax credit would help you, after the initial outlay, but it may not cover what the yearly premium actually is. The credit that McCain is offering may be good depending on where you live but in New York City, it does not cover a decent individual policy. It probably would cover some policies that are not very comprehensive but those usually have restrictions that are not worth the policy unless you are healthy.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:07 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,080,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
From concerned quelinda:

It sounds to me like you could afford to give $300,000 a year to poor folks and still live comfortably. Why don't you do that?

Life is great for you but it is literally torture for you to have to speak to an Indian on the phone?
Yes, often it is. Its like pulling teeth to get to the point and get what you called for. Has no one else experienced the drop in service since call centers were largely outsourced to other countries? I have nothing against Americans of Indian descent or immigrants working over here at our labor rates, but sorry, I hate the way our country is farming out its jobs overseas for cheap labor, and getting crappy service in return.

I mistated that lol so I couldn't afford to give $300K, I meant middle 100s big difference lol but I'd be willing to pay more taxes to get this deficit paid up. But first the big spending Republicans need to stop with the spend spend spend mentality, starting with the $10 billion per month we have to pay for Iraq while its cheap government ammasses billions in budget surplus.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:27 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,852,792 times
Iraq is swimming in Oil. Maybe the USA should now get payback in Oil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections