Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:27 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,120,828 times

Advertisements

It never did to me but does it to you now? Is this all a result of impulsivity on the part of McCain. He never put a team on the ground in Alaska and he only had a couple of conversations with her. Did he verify the good things she told him about herself? Is this a typical outcome of critical decision making by Senator McCain that reflects on his judgement? Are there other examples of poor judgement out there? Any examples of impulsive behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 01:35 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,698,899 times
The dumbo McCain sent to Alaska took her out for a long spin in a rented "vette" - yes she was vetted.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:37 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,189,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
The dumbo McCain sent to Alaska took her out for a long spin in a rented "vette" - yes she was vetted.
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/6893/chevettebigfoot0615845wn8.jpg (broken link)

She was not properly vetted. No one in their right mind would chose a running mate already under investigation with a pregnant teenage daughter to represent the party of smaller government and family values. Unless that's all just rhetoric anyway.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:39 PM

281 posts, read 381,696 times
Impulsive behavior??? The man is as nutty as all outdoors.
Just research, and you will find many examples of him exposing his impulsive and angry behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It never did to me but does it to you now? Is this all a result of impulsivity on the part of McCain. He never put a team on the ground in Alaska and he only had a couple of conversations with her. Did he verify the good things she told him about herself? Is this a typical outcome of critical decision making by Senator McCain that reflects on his judgement? Are there other examples of poor judgement out there? Any examples of impulsive behavior?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,127,541 times
I spend more time picking out comfortable shoes than he spent picking out the person he thinks should be a heartbeat away from the presidency.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:43 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think she was vetted adequately and I still believe she was a good choice. I think where the McCain campaign has been caught on their heels is responding to the intensity of the bitterness she's encountered.

I'd like to hear her say, in response to a question like Wilson's foreign policy question something like "I'm an expert on Alaska politics right now and what regular Americans go through. My foreign policy positions rest on the beliefs of X, Y and Z. So let me answer your question like this: Whatever is happening in the world when my opinion is solicited will be viewed from the perspective of X, Y and Z and I'll let you, for now, decide what that means in response to the details."

To Couric, I wish she had said something to the effect "Katie, you're a reporter. I expect you to dig up facts. I'm with John McCain because I have faith in him. You want his history? Spend your free time researching. Right now, I'm here to tell you my positions not take a test."

Ultimately, I think this is just an effort by the left to crush someone who threatens their monopoly on women's issues... and I'm afraid the right is being disheartened by it.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:44 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,386,802 times
I think Palin brings some definite strengths to the campaign - specifically she draws in support from the Religious Right (which really do NOT like McCain) and has excited the base (which he REALLY needed to do).

Having said that, it does seem pretty clear that he made a snap judgment bringing her in. Now, making a quick judgment is not necessarily a bad thing - afterall in his job as a combat pilot, you NEED to make such decisions. The caveat to that though is that the decisions need to be GOOD decisions, and while while I still think the advantages Palin brings are significant, it's also clear that her negatives are considerable (considering her relative mediocre (at best) performance in the interviews broadcast (I'm leaving aside the Hannity interview since that was obvious a FRIENDLY forum).

Now, if she does very well in the debate this week, much of that negativity can be erased, but if not, well, then clearly she's a mixed blessing for McCain and begins to cast some doubt on his "snap judgment" style of leadership. Making a quick decision can be a good thing - but ONLY if it's the RIGHT decision.

Overall, I think the jury is still out on Palin, but the clearly the bloom is long-gone from the rose, and some wilting has begun. I know the Democrats think poorly of her, but truth be told it really doesn't matter WHAT they think, it's the folks in the middle that it's important to win. She started off pretty well, but now a lot of folks are taking a closer look and are pretty uncertain what they see.

Can she still win them over?
Maybe, but she needs to get out more and she needs to do well in the debate.

Ken

Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,698,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I'd like to hear her say, in response to a question like Wilson's foreign policy question something like "I'm an expert on Alaska politics right now and what regular Americans go through. My foreign policy positions rest on the beliefs of X, Y and Z. So let me answer your question like this: Whatever is happening in the world when my opinion is solicited will be viewed from the perspective of X, Y and Z and I'll let you, for know, decide what that means in response to the details."

Most of us would expect an intelligent answer from a VP candidate, but we have not heard her talk much and that is why she is muzzled big time. I am sorry but she sounds really stupid to me and the McCain camp knows this well - they even dumbed down the VP debate format. "I can see Russia from my house" in effect is not foreign policy experience. McCain will have to live with the choice.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,120,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I think she was vetted adequately and I still believe she was a good choice. I think where the McCain campaign has been caught on their heels is responding to the intensity of the bitterness she's encountered.

I'd like to hear her say, in response to a question like Wilson's foreign policy question something like "I'm an expert on Alaska politics right now and what regular Americans go through. My foreign policy positions rest on the beliefs of X, Y and Z. So let me answer your question like this: Whatever is happening in the world when my opinion is solicited will be viewed from the perspective of X, Y and Z and I'll let you, for now, decide what that means in response to the details."

To Couric, I wish she had said something to the effect "Katie, you're a reporter. I expect you to dig up facts. I'm with John McCain because I have faith in him. You want his history? Spend your free time researching. Right now, I'm here to tell you my positions not take a test."

Ultimately, I think this is just an effort by the left to crush someone who threatens their monopoly on women's issues... and I'm afraid the right is being disheartened by it.
Is she being allowed to answer questions the way she wants and thnks they should be answered? Is she uncomfortable because her words are not what she wants to say?

Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,272,299 times
I think McCain thought he had a twofer here: please the religious right base and Hillary's mad as hell women. Palin fulfilled the role bush played in 2000 that of a "guy you could have a beer with".
To answer your question, I don't she was vetted properly because McCain thought people would be dumb enough to fall for a bush type again. McCain apparently doesn't realize that the role of a VP changed when Gore and Cheney were veeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections