Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,117,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
But on the flip side, how pathetic is it when all of these people slam on McCain because of his age? That is a double standard....you can be prejudice towards McCain for his age, but not Obama for his race.

It's just not right. It's the same kind of prejudice, and I think it all needs to go away. McCain is a warrior, and has seen more in his life than Obama ever will, since he spent most of his young adult life behind books, whereas McCain spent most of his fighting for this country. With age comes wisdom, so with that in mind, all the prejudice attitudes need to go away, and it's not just the "white" people that have them.

I think you will find that a whole lot of people near McCain's age are supporting Obama. Here's the thing. Am I wiser than I was at 25? Heck yes. But by 45 I had gained a lot of wisdom and yet was not forgetting things more frequently, tired more easily, having slower reflexes, etc. etc. Most of us know darn well that at 72....let alone 76....we just would not be up to the most demanding job in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,496,991 times
Count me in as a born-and-bred 100% Texan who is voting for Obama. I'm tired of the old lobby of George Bush's "buddies" (Rick Perry, John Cornyn, etc) who have defined the Republican party for the last decade.

Texas is enjoying a current economic boom because of its great business and living environment, as well as lack of state income tax. But as we become a more urban population I predict that Texas will lose its status as a traditional GOP stronghold. As it is the two great cities of El Paso and Austin are the liberal islands in a conservative population, but even many districts of Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio are showing a rapidly growing Democratic base.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:02 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,900,771 times
AONe, good call.
All this RED/BLUE **** is what gets us in trouble.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,626 times
I'm in the military currently stationed in Maryland, but I vote absentee in Louisiana. Most people I know in Louisiana are voting for Obama but I have few friends that are voting for McCain even though their beliefs are more aligned with Obama.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
tell us about your frustrations and your plans on changing the ways of your state

i was going to ask if theres any McCain supporters in bright blue states as well, but its not really the same

i mean if theres McCain supporters in say Brooklyn, NY then yeah by all means speak on your frustrations
If you're an Obama supporter in a bright red state, you're wasting your vote by voting for him... you might as well vote for McCain... since he'll win your state.

Or you could admit that a vote is never wasted, and stop giving people the same speech when they speak about voting for independents and third party candidates. I prefer the latter.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:18 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
I am in West Virginia, and although we have 2 Democratic senators and a Gov, we have always been a solid red state in presidential elections. Why? I guess it goes back to people not voting in their own interests when it comes to the guy who sits in the White House.

HOWEVER, here in the Panhandle I am seeing a lot of Obama signs and stickers. I understand that McCain's lead is only 4% now, and that the state is gradually turning, if not purple, then pink.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
If you're an Obama supporter in a bright red state, you're wasting your vote by voting for him... you might as well vote for McCain... since he'll win your state.

Or you could admit that a vote is never wasted, and stop giving people the same speech when they speak about voting for independents and third party candidates. I prefer the latter.
You can't be serious. You're suggesting people not vote because the tide isn't in their candidates favor? How truly unpatriotic and unamerican.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:43 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,614,243 times
I'm not an Obama supporter, but I know many supporters for him down here in the Heart of Dixie

Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,255,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post

Dont listen to this guy, fight back.

Vote Obama

Even if the state goes red, it'll be interesting looking at the data and how the red states are shifting. In due time those red states may go blue.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 PM

179 posts, read 199,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I live in the center of Texas. I have been singing Austin's praises, and more and more Californians and Northeasterners are coming here. We will turn blue some day down the road, just like Virginia is in the process of doing right now.
Dallas is more liberal, and Dallas County will go Dem this time more than likely (it missed it by like .09% last time). Harris county is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections