Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,898,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
They don't have to be asked what they read, their intelligence speaks for itself. Palin, not so much.
Beautiful response

or is the word 'typical'

ETA: Typical response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,619,666 times
Interesting question. I'm certain there have been many one on one time, personal questions asked of the Senators. Does it matter in the context of this thread. No, And certainly not at this stage of the election because there is a higher comfort level with those candidates. This innocuous little question takes a life of it's own because the Governor breathed life into issues that don't matter, by following an agenda based on isolating the Press. This set the stage for any and everything she says to be magnified tremendously, and unfortunately she picked a fight with folks who wallow in ink.

~shrug

At least she's comfortable

Old 10-01-2008, 12:15 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,065,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
"I have a degree in journalism also, so it surprises me that so much has changed since I received my education in journalistic ethics all those years ago,"
It looks to me that Palin's hop, skip and a jump method of matriculations towards earning that degree left her understanding of journalistic ethics more than a bit wanting.

What journalist asked or how they ask it, has absolutely nothing to do with ethics. Fairness is not an ethic. Being "balanced," whatever that means, has nothing to do with ethics.

Not having faced the media, with the exception of Gibson, Couric and the infomercial that she has with Hannity, Palin has little to stand on when it comes to accusing anyone of a lapse of ethics.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:21 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,976,291 times
You know, I see a pattern...

Today's remark reminds me of the "I listened to Biden's speeches in the 2nd grade" remark.

The problem with the Biden joke was she included herself in it, taking attention away from the point of the story and making herself the butt of the joke.

The problem with today's remark is she included herself in it, taking attention away from the point and making her journalism degree the only part of the story people will remember.

Someone needs to clue her in on this.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,967,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Not a smart move on her part. You don't want to start squabbling with the media like this a month before the election. You'd think a former tv reporter would know better. Although I give her credit for her final words, shows a little feistiness. Hope she lives up it.
I don't see it as squabbling. She made an accurate statement, the media is unethical and that can be supported with a plethora of evidence. She also took the graceful route, she didn't attack them, merely pointed out they were being rather unethical and then said she was fine with it, keeps her on her toes and forces her to work harder.

It is a slam to them, but it was done with taste. Like it matters if she angers them anyway, they have already gone so far overboard it is ridiculous. It could even end up helping her. Remember Dan Rather's report after it was shown to be a complete lie cost Kerry a lot of votes. I hope they go too far and get caught with their pants down (they have a bit already). It only hurts their cause. /shrug

Old 10-01-2008, 12:24 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,921,254 times
Quote:
It makes somebody be even clearer and more articulate in their positions.
Hmmm, if that's true, she should have agreed to a lot more interviews.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
You know, I see a pattern...

Today's remark reminds me of the "I listened to Biden's speeches in the 2nd grade" remark.

The problem with the Biden joke was she included herself in it, taking attention away from the point of the story and making herself the butt of the joke.

The problem with today's remark is she included herself in it, taking attention away from the point and making her journalism degree the only part of the story people will remember.

Someone needs to clue her in on this.
Not sure I see it that way. Personally, I don't care for the biden remark, he has too many holes in his record to play those silly games.

My wife relates to her remark very much. During her BS and MBA they had a number of Business ethics courses she used to talk to me about (I actually read all her text books on this subject area) and she said that it was just unbelievable how they pound ethics down your throat in school, yet nobody uses it in the real world. It really is true and I think her comment hits home with a lot of people who have had like experiences. The problem today is a serious lack of ethical behavior in all fields. Personally, I think it was a home run answer.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,731,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I don't see it as squabbling. She made an accurate statement, the media is unethical and that can be supported with a plethora of evidence. She also took the graceful route, she didn't attack them, merely pointed out they were being rather unethical and then said she was fine with it, keeps her on her toes and forces her to work harder.

It is a slam to them, but it was done with taste. Like it matters if she angers them anyway, they have already gone so far overboard it is ridiculous. It could even end up helping her. Remember Dan Rather's report after it was shown to be a complete lie cost Kerry a lot of votes. I hope they go too far and get caught with their pants down (they have a bit already). It only hurts their cause. /shrug
Please provide an example of the media being unethical in regard to Palin or McCain. Some media outlets may be biased, but I have seen nothing unethical from the media in this election cycle. If you want to talk unethical, I can show you a few McCain ads . . .

Hint . . . because you disagree with it, does not make it unethical.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
It looks to me that Palin's hop, skip and a jump method of matriculations towards earning that degree left her understanding of journalistic ethics more than a bit wanting.

What journalist asked or how they ask it, has absolutely nothing to do with ethics. Fairness is not an ethic. Being "balanced," whatever that means, has nothing to do with ethics.

Not having faced the media, with the exception of Gibson, Couric and the infomercial that she has with Hannity, Palin has little to stand on when it comes to accusing anyone of a lapse of ethics.
Ethics is about getting to the truth, not creating your own version of it. Unethical journalism is kind of like unethical science. When you start inserting your own bias into the results or allowing that bias to steer the results, you have betrayed the entire point of your field.

Asking a question in a way so you can get a response that allows you to display, edit, or portray someone in a light you want is not ethical. It isn't "getting to the truth", it is "manufacturing the truth". Just look at all the slanders out there. It isn't about the truth, it is about getting people to see their version of it. That's not journalism, its unethical slander pushing an agenda.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,078,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Please provide an example of the media being unethical in regard to Palin or McCain. Some media outlets may be biased, but I have seen nothing unethical from the media in this election cycle. If you want to talk unethical, I can show you a few McCain ads . . .

Hint . . . because you disagree with it, does not make it unethical.
Study journalism and you will find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections