Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,078,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliana_b View Post
George Bush answered the question honestly when he admitted that he didn't read newspapers.

It's kind of ridiculous that some of you are labeling the media "unethical" in this but saying nothing about Palin's unethical (lie) response of "I read everything."
stupid answer to a stupid question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,353 posts, read 4,972,652 times
Oh my God she is such an idiot! I have a degree in journalism too, and my former ethics professor used to write an ethics column for the bit journalism trade magazine.

However -

--a j-school degree means nothing without solid experience
--Katie and Charlie Gibson know a lot more than she does about journalism
--she needs to stop bashing the press or it'll fly back in her fact a lot more than it is now.

I don't feel like reading the rest of the posts in this thread and watching ignorant republicans try to discuss journalism as if they know anything about it.

5,041 posts, read 6,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Come on! Isn't it obvious enough that Couric is biased and wants to bring Palin down?
Couric is just asking questions. Not very difficult ones at that. You're comment says a lot more about you than it does about Couric.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliana_b View Post
George Bush answered the question honestly when he admitted that he didn't read newspapers.

It's kind of ridiculous that some of you are labeling the media "unethical" in this but saying nothing about Palin's unethical (lie) response of "I read everything."
A logical fallacy. A generalized response taken to levels of impractical accountability. Another display of an unethical comment. You use literal meanings as you like, then play generalized when you want. Do you want honest answers or are you here to score points for your side? Do some looking into unethical debate, logical fallacies, rather ethics in general.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,494,799 times
I have read the unedited version of the interview - Palin's comments are rambling and at some points, almost incoherent. Palin's comments were not taken out of context.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Do a google for "Palin gibson interview unedited" and then read through all of the comments on the interview. Note the famous comment about Russia where the media pretty much only shows her comment about Russia and the fact that you can see it from an island in Alaska. Now, read all of the part they did not add such as the following question and responses from her. She goes on to explain the issue and when you read the entire comment, you get the proper context of what she was talking about.

That edit was unethical. This type of "journalism" has been growinf for years. Remember Dan Rather and his fiasco? Did you happen to see the last Bush Interview with MSNBC? Read and watch the full version of the interview and think about the questions and answers. Then watch the edited ones. There is a big difference in the "context".

It is much like people who half-quote people out of context so they can spin a point. It is unethical, it is not journalism, but tabliod propaganda.

If more people spent time trying to get to the content of what people say rather than attempting to catch them on silly things, we might have a better understanding of our representatives. Many "unethical" canidates count on this and they play the slander game. Most do, and it is ALL unethically driven content used to steer people who are too lazy or ignorant to look past the curtain.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,481,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't think Rove would recommend this particular move. He's a smart man.

It isn't a bright ploy to start bragging about a BS in journalism from Idaho University (a school that doesn't even have a highly rated journalism program). That's not exactly something to brag about, and acting superior like that only ticks off the press and feeds the late night comics.
Exactly. She better watch herself. If she thinks the media is out to get her now, wait until they REALLY try and slaughter her.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,730,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Study journalism and you will find out.
Study a definition of ethics and maybe you will find out.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,965,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Oh my God she is such an idiot! I have a degree in journalism too, and my former ethics professor used to write an ethics column for the bit journalism trade magazine.

However -

--a j-school degree means nothing without solid experience
--Katie and Charlie Gibson know a lot more than she does about journalism
--she needs to stop bashing the press or it'll fly back in her fact a lot more than it is now.

I don't feel like reading the rest of the posts in this thread and watching ignorant republicans try to discuss journalism as if they know anything about it.
You mean she needs to back off or they will really turn up that slander machine? Please, I beg that they do. They will only show their true colors when they do.

As for experience, it means nothing if it is not applied in a structured manner. That is what "education" is supposed to teach you. I meet programmers all day long who have lots of experience, but they have either forgotten or do not know the core aspects of the field of study and they are some of the worst software designers I have ever met. Experience without structure is just someone wasting a lot of time doing something their own way and as we can see, the media's way is that of slander and unethical approaches.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,480,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightofcenter View Post
Straight out of the Rove playbook. Attack the media to deflect from your weaknesses.

Ever notice that in the Rightwingoverse it seems like everything is some sort of manufactured outrage, or some conspiracy plot against their party? Anybody tired of this crap yet?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,730,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How about the edited versions of the interviews? Cutting out part of a response in order to make a person look like they are stupid is unethical.

As for your "hint", if you are going to go down the "relativistic" "what it means to me" in order to claim it is legit, then you yourself are displaying unethical practices in your discussion.

Simply put, displaying people out of context with the intent to mislead is, unethical. Maybe they taught you differently in college, but I went to a pretty liberal university and you wouldn't get any of my professors to agree that is acceptable, even the wacky ones. They know trying to defend that position is a road to failure.
Please give me an example of Katie Couric taking anything Palin said out of context. You can't because she hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections