Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 66,447 times

Advertisements

I don't know BIGjohn. I came from Minneapolis. Its very diverse. I guess people are just people nomatter where they come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,712,243 times
You know, when I hear a black person say things like

"Its time for a black president"
or
"We need change"

I cant help but think they are only voting for the black candidate because of their skin.

The shoe fits on both feet my friend.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,349,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I don't trust Obama. He's gone back on too many promises he's made. FISA. Yep, he voted for it after making a huge stink. Lobbyist money, only if they aren't registered. And the bailout. He and McCain both wasted what could potentially be $1.3 trillion US taxpayer dollars on nothing. Go Obama! He's like, so different and such as.

Well said not only did he vote for it but initially gave one speech after another how wrong it was .

Come voting day he pulls a Nancy Pelosi and betrays everyone but ofcourse no big deal his zombies give him a pass much like constant betraying Pelosi gets to this day.

I find him very smart but as far as politics he is same ole same ole say anything than turn around and lie .

What has happened is after Bush people want a Hero but Obama is not him and not much will change other than speeches. Not saying Mccain is the hero either when it comes to change.

BOTH are same . Only reason going with Mccain though used to support Obama till opened my eyes is due to balance of powers in Washington.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,952,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
I didnt say the KKK was only in the south. hm?
But it was implied, hmm?

Your quote:
"In the south, its all about race. Face the facts. KKK is alive and well, sad but true."

Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,802,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Sorry, anyone who does not think that "I just don't trust him" could not mean, even a slight chance that it could, that race has something to do with that is living in a cave.
I've heard enough code words and phrases, this is one of them.
I don't trust Obama because he's not experienced enough to be president. Trust, (as I tell my teens) is something you earn. He has not earned my trust as far as I am concerned. Since in my family we have all sorts of skin colors, races, and nationalities, I doubt my lack of trust has anything to do with race.

The fact that you assume to be a racist anyone who says they don't trust Obama is telling as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,915,663 times
Both "Obama scares me" (with no good reason) and "I don't trust him" (with no real reason) do raise some eyebrows.

As for those who use the typical reasons all over this and other threads... "He came out of nowhere... no prior elected office... don't know anything about him..." these things are universally false, so clinging to them does make you wonder what the motivation is.

He came out of nowhere/don't know anything about him - Um, that's Palin more than Obama. Obama's got biographies that have been out for years, in book form and on TV. Tons of info has been available about him for years, plus perhaps the longest and most drawn out primary campaign in history has thoroughly vetted him. Everyone knows about his mom, his dad, what countries they were from, where he grew up, where he went to school, what his middle name is, etc. Do you know these things about McCain? Palin? You've heard his speeches and he's been in 27 debates this campaign. What more has anyone ever known about a candidate? Their ATM code? Favorite food? Boxers/briefs? Just ask, I'm sure he'll answer. Bottom line, if someone claims to know nothing about Obama by now they probably are lying. Here's the list of debates he's been through thus far in the campaign:

5.1 April 26, 2007 – Orangeburg, South Carolina
5.2 June 3, 2007 - CNN 7:00pm EDT - Manchester, New Hampshire
5.3 June 28, 2007 - PBS - Washington, D.C.
5.4 July 12, 2007 – Detroit, Michigan
5.5 July 23, 2007 - CNN - Charleston, South Carolina
5.6 August 4, 2007 – Chicago, Illinois
5.7 August 7, 2007 – Chicago, Illinois
5.8 August 9, 2007 – Los Angeles, California
5.9 August 19, 2007 – Des Moines, Iowa
5.10 September 9, 2007 – Coral Gables, Florida
5.11 September 12, 2007
5.12 September 20, 2007 – Davenport, Iowa
5.13 September 26, 2007 – Hanover, New Hampshire
5.14 October 30, 2007 - NBC 9:00pm EDT - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5.15 November 15, 2007 - CNN - Las Vegas, Nevada
5.16 December 4, 2007 - NPR (radio only) - Des Moines, Iowa
5.17 December 13, 2007 – Johnston, Iowa
5.18 January 5, 2008 - ABC 8:45pm EST - Manchester, New Hampshire
5.19 January 15, 2008 - MSNBC 6:00pm PST - Las Vegas, Nevada
5.20 January 21, 2008 - CNN 8:00pm EST - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5.21 January 31, 2008 - CNN 5:00pm PDT - Hollywood, California
5.22 February 2, 2008 - MTV 6:00pm EST - MTV Myspace Debate
5.23 February 21, 2008 - CNN 7:00pm CST - Austin, Texas
5.24 February 26, 2008 - MSNBC 9:00pm EST - Cleveland, Ohio
5.25 April 13, 2008 - CNN 8:00pm EDT - Grantham, Pennsylvania
5.26 April 16, 2008 - ABC 8:00pm EDT - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5.27 September 26, 2008 - PBS 8:00 EDT - University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS

That's perhaps the most for any candidate ever in any campaign. Yeah, you don't know anything about Barack Obama.

no prior elected office Again, totally false. 12 years elected experience so far, more than Palin, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, and a host of other presidents in the past.

Here is another list for you (from Diatribes of Jay: Barack Obama's "Inexperience")

President State Legislature Governorship U.S. House U.S. Senate Age at Inauguration Inaugural Year
Abraham Lincoln 8 0 2 0 51 1861
John F. Kennedy 0 0 6 8 43 1961
Jimmy Carter 4 6 0 0 52 1977
Ronald Reagan 0 8 0 0 70 1981
George W. Bush 0 6 0 0 54 2001
Barack Obama* 8 0 0 4* 47* 2009*
Hillary Rodham Clinton* 0 0 0 8* 61* 2009*

* If elected president in 2008.

As this table shows, Obama’s "inexperience" is a myth. He is right in the mainstream of all five presidents listed. At twelve years, his experience in elective office would beat all but John Kennedy’s.

So, back to the topic... when someone uses the above myths to justify their statement of "I just don't trust Obama", you have to think something else is going on there.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,527,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerpppp View Post
I don't know BIGjohn. I came from Minneapolis. Its very diverse. I guess people are just people nomatter where they come from.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d0/New_2000_black_percent.gif/800px-New_2000_black_percent.gif (broken link)

Of course people are people everywhere.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,952,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Is it people from the south are racist or are the people from the north not exposed to as much diversity? Or neither.
There are people who are racist everywhere, just as there are people who are tolerant and open-minded in every region of our country. Making assumptions about people just because they are from the South is just as prejudiced as making assumptions about people because of their skin color.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:48 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,349,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I don't trust Obama because he's not experienced enough to be president. Trust, (as I tell my teens) is something you earn. He has not earned my trust as far as I am concerned. Since in my family we have all sorts of skin colors, races, and nationalities, I doubt my lack of trust has anything to do with race.

The fact that you assume to be a racist anyone who says they don't trust Obama is telling as far as I'm concerned.

I don't trust Obama based on fact. He LIED about FISA . Only to turn around and pull a 180 .

Obama is not any worse than any other politician just same ole same ole. Might as well vote for same ole GOP than to balance powers in Washington.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,260,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Sorry, anyone who does not think that "I just don't trust him" could not mean, even a slight chance that it could, that race has something to do with that is living in a cave.
I've heard enough code words and phrases, this is one of them.
I don't hear the McCain dictractors saying (or very rarely saying) I don't trust McCain, they usually point out something like his health or erratic judgement.
Palin saying this today is almost the same as when Reagan when to Mississipi and bragged about how he is for state rights.
I'm sorry but I don't trust him might simply mean That I don't trust him as an individual. It does not have to mean that race is a factor. It may be to some folks but Not to most. Only the individuals know what is in their hearts. The problem with those who use the race card is that they may be the worst racists of all. They assume things not based on things that are fact, but purely upon speculation. Obama is a well spoken gentlmen... No one can argue this. Fact he is. But if we say it out loud race carders will cry racist....
Many don' trust Obama he is an unknown. He has no viable history. He has associated himself with folks many find to be questionable at best. I don't fault him for his former Reverands hate speeches. I fault him for his continued association with someone who preaches hate. Yes he distanced himself when it came out in the open. He should have distanced himself before that happened. He should have distanced himself when it first began.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections