Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,525,484 times

Advertisements

"I don't like to assume that people are as dumb as their comments"

And not even 5 minutes before

"Most of every subcategory is voting for Obama, except for one: rich greedy white people."

But by all means keep on I'm having a nice laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,025,485 times
Quote:
Here we go again, it's so hard for you Nobama supporters to believe that anyone doesn't feel this man is the right fit for this country, so anyone that doesn't worship this man as you do is automatically a racist?
All these race baiters need to do is look at presidential election history to find the answer.

When was the last time a democrat was elected with a majority of the vote?

When was the last time a democrat was elected with a majority of the white vote?

When was the last time a liberal democrat was elected?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,311,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
With some (very small) minority it IS about race.

golfgod
I live in Long Island, NY...with the majority of my fellow white male acquaintances it has a lot to do with race.

"Mayor Dinkins sucked, and let all of those people take the city over...so you know, with Obama...(eyebrows arching)." Or they simply say "come on, you are going to vote for the black guy?"

I find it naive to think this is a very small minority. I hear the cracks all the time, I suppose on the assumption because I am a white guy in the corporate world I most likely think the same way too...and it's not like I am hanging out with some hillbilly radicals. I am not some extremist Obama supporter...I would have voted for the 2000 McCain. But race is factoring a great deal into this election. What makes me chuckle are those that post things like "I view him as white really, not even black", and are doing so as some sort of knock against him. He is often criticized for being of both races...guy can't win. But again, very small minority is an understatement. People do have legitimate issues with his experience level, and that is fine. But I will only buy that person's sincerity if they can honestly say they have NEVER told a black joke in their lifetime and/or laughed at one without criticism.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,295,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I don't trust Obama. He's gone back on too many promises he's made. FISA. Yep, he voted for it after making a huge stink. Lobbyist money, only if they aren't registered. And the bailout. He and McCain both wasted what could potentially be $1.3 trillion US taxpayer dollars on nothing. Go Obama! He's like, so different and such as.
McCain railed against the bailout and the majority of the Republicans opposed it, yet he voted for it. Now he's saying Bush should veto the bailout bill that he voted for. However, you're trusting him

Old 10-06-2008, 09:43 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,452,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
McCain railed against the bailout and then went against the majority of Republicans when he voted for the bailout but you're still trusting him. Now he's saying Bush should veto the bailout bill that he voted for.
I tell ya, he is senile.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:23 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,227,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
"I don't like to assume that people are as dumb as their comments"

And not even 5 minutes before

"Most of every subcategory is voting for Obama, except for one: rich greedy white people."

But by all means keep on I'm having a nice laugh.
I'll keep it up. Obviously you intend to keep ignoring my question. Explain why my statement was ironic. Or even just define the term in your own words.

Are you capable of only throwing insults? Or can you explain your comments at the same time, too?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 PM

If you don't understand irony then I'm fighting a losing battle explaining anything to you.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:31 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,227,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
If you don't understand irony then I'm fighting a losing battle explaining anything to you.
There you go. Incapable of reasoned response.

You used the word 'ironic' referring to a comment of mine that was anything but. If anyone needs to understand the term, it's you.

I've asked you now three times to explain yourself, and you come back with lame insults.

Are you not capable?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/5579615-post71.html

Last time and then I'm giving up hope you have any ability to understand what you yourself wrote.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:47 PM

50 posts, read 113,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I live in Long Island, NY...with the majority of my fellow white male acquaintances it has a lot to do with race.

"Mayor Dinkins sucked, and let all of those people take the city over...so you know, with Obama...(eyebrows arching)." Or they simply say "come on, you are going to vote for the black guy?"

I find it naive to think this is a very small minority. I hear the cracks all the time, I suppose on the assumption because I am a white guy in the corporate world I most likely think the same way too...and it's not like I am hanging out with some hillbilly radicals. I am not some extremist Obama supporter...I would have voted for the 2000 McCain. But race is factoring a great deal into this election. What makes me chuckle are those that post things like "I view him as white really, not even black", and are doing so as some sort of knock against him. He is often criticized for being of both races...guy can't win. But again, very small minority is an understatement. People do have legitimate issues with his experience level, and that is fine. But I will only buy that person's sincerity if they can honestly say they have NEVER told a black joke in their lifetime and/or laughed at one without criticism.

Thank you for this. I'm getting rather tired of the "oh, it's only a handful of people" line, and this is also coming from someone who liked McCain 2000 as well. Anyway, I'm sure the "minute number of racists" will magically multiply come Election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections