Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,095,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Check the primary debates on youtube, His own campaign calls it a "friendly" relationship. Their word, not mine.
Regardless, of what 'word' is used this should not be a concern in light of the actual serious issues this country faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrob123 View Post
"Supporters" watched the debates months ago when all of these issues came up. Nothing about any of these issues are new. Clinton tried the same tactics and lost because of it. If you can't talk about the issues you are a weak candidate. If your response to your opponents strength is dirt you will lose.

I think that this video explains it best. In McCain's own words of course.

YouTube - Negative Attack Ads
Dems are voting for obama in any case (possibly excepting Hillary's folk). It's the middle of the roaders who will be the ones who decide if they want a man with a circle of friend that would make Charles Mason wince to have those friends to the White House for dinner...

Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Regardless, of what 'word' is used this should not be a concern in light of the actual serious issues this country faces.
Like does a pc actually hate white people or is he sooooo stupid that he sat in a church for 20 yrs without noticing the preacher spewed hatred for whites until it was made an issue. In my neck of the woods, that matters.

And the race card will be played in 5, 4, 3,....

Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,331,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Really? I thought the issues were the economy, security, healthcare, energy . . .

In my opinion, the issues are (in order of importance):
  1. National defense. Fighting terrorism and maintaining a ready military with the best weapons our technology can provide. This means NOT cutting the military budget, as Obama has promised to do.

This is the primary duty of the Federal Government.
  2. Energy independence. We simply MUST develope our own natural resources. This means drilling offshore and on land, nuclear energy, coal (it is possible to have clean coal plants), natural gas, while at the same time developing other technologies for the future. But it is important to realize that we will never not have a need for oil. It is the basis for many, many products that we need.
  3. Keeping tax rates low. We must not punish achievement. Low tax rates, including low or zero Capital Gains taxes (I'm in favor of zero) encourages growth of business through investment, etc. It encourages the entrepreneurial spirit that has made our country the richest nation in the world, and the growth that results from low taxes creates jobs that Americans need.

Obama's plan to raise all taxes across the board will be a disaster for our economy, which is already suffering from poor management and bad lending practices of the mortgage industry. The best way oiut of this is to grow ouir way out. Allowing business to flourish without undue government taxation and interference is the best way to do this.
  4. Education We simply must do something about our schools. More money is not the answer. Money isn't what's needed. Our kids are not being taught anymore, quite simply. They don't know World History, they don't know American History, they can't write, and they can't spell. We need to get back to basics. Returning more to local control would be a good place to start.
As far as I can tell, Obama doesn't fit well into any of these four.

He wants to cut the military, increase taxes and government spending, he is a contributor (co-conspirator) to the mortgage crisis and has no clue what makes an economy work. I think he is wrong on every issue.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,095,672 times
Quote:
Dems are voting for obama in any case (possibly excepting Hillary's folk). It's the middle of the roaders who will be the ones who decide if they want a man with a circle of friend that would make Charles Mason wince to have those friends to the White House for dinner...
Charles Manson wince? Are you kidding, so he's friends with a few ex-60's radicals, most people his age or older (including my own parents) know a couple of people like that. Spare me your silly righteous indignation. I'm sure if you honestly looked at your circle of friends, you'd have a few with a past, I know that I sure do.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,494,332 times
^Unfortunately for you, the American people don't agree with what you consider to be the most important issues. They are primarily concerned about the economy, which McCain has admitted any demonstrated to be his weak point.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Old 10-07-2008, 03:23 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post
Now that most of the country is finally paying attention to the election and issues like Ayers, Wright, Rezco, Fannie Mae, Raines will get more attention are Dems getting scared?

Judging from the panic on these forums and the reports I've heard that Dems are mad at Dean for not vetting Obama properly, I think that we're going to have some pretty upset Dems.
:facepalm:

Do you not see the comedy in your own post?!

It's you Repugs, led by your very own messiatrix, who have gone on the offensive with the distractions!

Meanwhile, the Dow is heading for 9000......

Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,331,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
It absolutely should be of concern, because it speaks directly about the kind of person Obama is, his trustworthiness, character, and his beliefs.

If his relationships are with people like William Ayers and Rev. Wright, it is because they are like minded.

We know that William Ayers helped Obama launch his political career, and donated money. Why? This tells us something about Obama.

If Obama hangs around with dishonest people, are we to expect that he is honest?

Don't think so.

This is an important issue. Character matters. Obama doesn't have it.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:32 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,045,223 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosenseguy View Post
In my opinion, the issues are (in order of importance):
  1. National defense.
    Obama is the ONLY candidate that has consistently said he will go after Bin Laden. He also wants to INCREASE the size of the military.
  2. Energy independence. Even Repug T. Boone Pickens said Drill Baby Drill won't solve the problem
  3. Keeping tax rates low. Yeah, how did that work out under Bush?

4. Education And McCain is going to do what about this?.
As far as I can tell, Obama doesn't fit well into any of these four.
You just haven't been listening

Old 10-07-2008, 03:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,237,325 times
Quote:
Like does a pc actually hate white people or is he sooooo stupid that he sat in a church for 20 yrs without noticing the preacher spewed hatred for whites until it was made an issue. In my neck of the woods, that matters.

And the race card will be played in 5, 4, 3,....
NO ! ! ! no NO ! ! ! Not the race card.... aaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! ! !

The race card

sorry, didn't mean to play the race card

Avoid race baiting, religious hangups and sexist agendas...

Vote Libertarian

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections