Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,706,383 times

Advertisements

I took it to mean that McCain wanted to include all children with disabilities in his comment. McCain knows that the child has Down Syndrome. However, the incidence of Autism is rising at such critical rate that it's also a major concern for parents across the country who are raising children with disabilities. This will be a focus for Sarah - work for the benefit of all such families, no matter what the child's disability. She can personally relate and that makes a big difference.

as for...

That's what McCain meant...we won't be just getting Sara, we'll be getting her handler, Todd, too.
Odd that McCain agrees that his partner is so weak she needs her husband as co-VP.....but I guess his low opinion of women in general has a lot to do with it.

You mean, the way we got Hillary when Bill was Pres? It's said that she did a lot of "handling" behind the scenes. Are you saying that Bill Clinton was "so weak that he needed his wife as co-Pres?" We certainly would have gotten him as "her handler" this time, had Hillary been the nominee and been elected. No matter. Maybe in 4 years we will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:23 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,080,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You mean, the way we got Hillary when Bill was Pres? It's said that she did a lot of "handling" behind the scenes. Are you saying that Bill Clinton was "so weak that he needed his wife as co-Pres?" We certainly would have gotten him as "her handler" this time, had Hillary been the nominee and been elected. No matter. Maybe in 4 years we will.
Actually that is not a good analogy as Hillary was not known to be involved in every affair going on while Bill was governor, nor as president. Hillary was vastly ahead of her time in introducing the healthcare issue, but she generally left it at that. It wasn't like Bill couldn't make a move without Hillary, as is certainly the case with Ms. Palin Around with Terrorists (she should trademark that slogan). And at least Bill has an educated attorney at his side and not a high school graduate who belonged to a political party who's primary goal is to secede from the union and steal our land and oil! Now that's what I call Palin' Around with Terrorists!

Old 10-18-2008, 06:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,164,434 times
Quote:
I took it to mean that McCain wanted to include all children with disabilities in his comment. McCain knows that the child has Down Syndrome. However, the incidence of Autism is rising at such critical rate that it's also a major concern for parents across the country who are raising children with disabilities. This will be a focus for Sarah - work for the benefit of all such families, no matter what the child's disability. She can personally relate and that makes a big difference.

as for...

That's what McCain meant...we won't be just getting Sara, we'll be getting her handler, Todd, too.
Odd that McCain agrees that his partner is so weak she needs her husband as co-VP.....but I guess his low opinion of women in general has a lot to do with it.

NO, I don't mean like Hillary and Bill or any other VP or presidential spouse. (You repubs sure have a thing for Bill and Hillary , don't you! Weird!)

I mean a spouse, Todd, who attended governmental meetings where he had NO business being and wasn't invited . I mean Todd speaking for Sara, interfering in government business when all he was was a private citizen....he went way over the line of spousal duties.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,253,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
NO, I don't mean like Hillary and Bill or any other VP or presidential spouse. (You repubs sure have a thing for Bill and Hillary , don't you! Weird!)

I mean a spouse, Todd, who attended governmental meetings where he had NO business being and wasn't invited . I mean Todd speaking for Sara, interfering in government business when all he was was a private citizen....he went way over the line of spousal duties.
Plus, is he pro-American?

Old 10-18-2008, 06:34 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,452,525 times
Quote:
That's a charitable view that I commend you for, even though I don't share that view nor the charity behind it, given the outrageous things McCain and Palin have said to audiences out on the campaign trail.

Yes, Palin can personally relate to special needs children. I found this article to be especially informative:

Quote:
Palin has experience with special needs kids

By ANNE SUTTON – 1 day ago

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Sarah Palin is frequently seen at campaign stops cradling her infant son Trig, who has Down syndrome. Her decision to give birth to Trig even after learning her fifth child would have the condition has burnished her anti-abortion views with conservatives.

So viewers of Wednesday night's presidential debate might have been somewhat taken aback when John McCain said his running mate understands "what it's like to have an autistic child."

Not directly, perhaps, but Palin does have a 13-year-old nephew with autism.

Palin's sister and brother-in-law, Heather and Kurt Bruce, have a 13-year-old autistic son, Karcher.
I did not know that. But, it's a bad day when I don't learn something new.

However, in the same article:

Quote:
Palin touted her own record supporting special needs children in an interview conducted via e-mail that was published Sept. 30 in her hometown newspaper, The Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman.

"It is our hope that by providing the necessary funding support, we can touch more children with special needs who did not have opportunities before due to the prohibitive costs of providing the appropriate care," Palin wrote.

That said, programs and spending for special needs children haven't been a highlight of Palin's 21 months in office as Alaska's governor, during which she has focused on cutting a deal for a natural gas pipeline.

Spending remained flat for the Department of Health and Social Services during her first year in office, although she oversaw a 6 percent increase in spending on agency operations a year later.

State funding for disabled children this year included $500,000 for diagnostic services for autistic children, a program that was started last year, and another $250,000 to train workers in providing early intervention for them.

The governor also successfully pushed for an increase in education funding for severely disabled students that raised the level from $26,900 to $49,300 per student this year.

But Palin's vetoes to the state capital budget also struck hard at a project serving such children. Two months after Trig was born, Palin sliced half of the $550,000 capital request for an indoor training facility for Special Olympics Alaska, the local arm of the international nonprofit organization.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Plus, is he pro-American?
No, he's not. He belonged to a group that wanted Alaska to secede from the union....

VERY ANTI-AMERICAN!

I hope their friend Michelle Bachmann investigates THEM, the Palin's, for UN-American activity !!!!

Think she will??????

Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,868,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Now, why did McCain throw that in at the end of being asked if Sarah would be a good prez, after somehow equating that autistic parenthood somehow makes a great prez (please don't slam me for that remark, I'm just saying it isn't really related to the question he was asked). Shows his view that she can't stand on her own and his great judgement to have picked her for a running mate. duh.

She has no other merits to bring up so you have to drab for the straws.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Now, why did McCain throw that in at the end of being asked if Sarah would be a good prez, after somehow equating that autistic parenthood somehow makes a great prez (please don't slam me for that remark, I'm just saying it isn't really related to the question he was asked). Shows his view that she can't stand on her own and his great judgement to have picked her for a running mate. duh.
Same reason people threw Bill in with Hillary...

Old 10-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same reason people threw Bill in with Hillary...
oh, excuse me! You canNOT compare Bill Clinton(Rhodes scholar and former President) with EITHER Palin.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,873 times
McCain always speaks of Todd Palin whenever asked to justify his selection of Sarah Palin. He gets a goofy grin on his face and let's us know what a manly man Todd is.

It's weird. And weirder still, has anybody EVER heard the man speak? He (Todd Palin) is starting to creep me out. Why doesn't he talk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections