Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:25 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times

Advertisements

Why are these problems occurring in Oh and Fl so much? Can’t their states get competent people to run and work their elections? I understand Mo. is now also a state that may have issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,173,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Why are these problems occurring in Oh and Fl so much? Can’t their states get competent people to run and work their elections? I understand Mo. is now also a state that may have issues.
NC too. We have same day voting and registration. I don't believe a photo ID is required, but since I registered months ago in my new county, I can't remember if they asked or not.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,930,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I have family in New Mexico and they say that they have always had problems when it comes to elections, mostly with illegals voting and, depending on which party held the seat of county clerk, with vote counts and such as that.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,522,262 times
Just remember....the ACORN does not fall far from the tree.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,358,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
He said he would be calling "YOU" in. As in people from community organizations that were there.

He is always careful with his words, since "some people" like to change them for him.
Indeed. Nothing wrong with community organizers helping to shape the agenda. First off, ACORN was just one of many organizations there. Secondly, the ACORN deal is overblown - and it's not just me saying that, even the REPUBLICAN governor of Florida says the same (Crist breaks with Republicans over ACORN voter fraud charges | MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/florida/story/727793.html - broken link))

Ken

Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,909,705 times
Thumbs up Ignoring the good ACORN does?

Did anyone hear how many “valid” voter registrations that ACORN was able to provide? Many of these would be republican, independent as well as democrat. Seems strange that we don’t look at all of the good that ACORN has been doing for the people; unless the republicans want to send “their” people into areas of low voter registration they should not complain about anyone else who goes there to do the good work that ACORN does.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,931,188 times
i don't consider an organization that decides to just throw names in the air and see what sticks as being very helpful. they are actually wasting other people's time trying to validate their registrations. people know how to register themselves anyway and if they can't figure it out then they really are too dumb to be able to vote!

Old 10-17-2008, 03:07 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,170 times
brokerdave wrote;
Quote:
yes fake address', this is what ACORN has been doing, using YMCA's and Churches nationwide to allow fake(temporary) address for 1 person to vote in all districts statewide. the address' just have to be in the voting district. these simple little things are so hard for the small minded to understand.
Kindly explain how having one address, in one district, allows a voter to vote in all districts statewide?

Using your logic every voter in every state would be able to vote in every district in the state, even real people.

In the 4 states that I've lived in the last 12 years you must have a valid STATE ID, like a driver's license to register, in fact most states allow you to register at the DMV, or wherever you get driver's licenses. Once that happens you are issued a voter ID number. In order to get a new voter ID you'd need a new driver's license.

Maybe you should try reading my thread about how I set up "fake voters", sorry I can't recall the title just now, to see how ridiculous the whole "ACORN is stealing the election" story is.

golfgod

Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,856,170 times
florida sandy wrote;
Quote:
i don't consider an organization that decides to just throw names in the air and see what sticks
You must not know much, or anything about HOW any outside organization's voter drives operates. BTW, I'd bet that the Republican Party in many states submits more voter registrations than does ACORN!

If I walk into the Republican, Democratic, Libertarian or Communist Party headquarters in my state and tell them I want to register to vote, they will give me an application. If I fill in the application with the name George Herbert Walker Bush and put my driver's license number as 1234567 and sign it, by law they must submit that application to the secretary of state, or county clerk's office. In fact to NOT do so is probably a violation of federal election law.

If I did that they would probably, as ACORN has done, attach a cover note saying "we think this one may be inaccurate, you might want to investigate.

I'd suggest anyone who is really concerned to read David Iglesias' book, "In Justice". For the record David Iglesias is Hispanic, Evangelical, a Bushie and the former United States Attorney for New Mexico. He was fired by Alfredo Gonzales under political pressure for NOT doing what the Republican Party is now pressuring the FBI to do.

The funny thing is that he DID investigate all of the "wolf" shouting by the NM Republicans. He took the info he had, turned it over to the FBI folks assigned to his operation and they laughed at him.

It's way too hard, expenive and time consuming to "create" new voters. It's easier to ELIMINATE legitimate voters in precincts where you know the tide is going to turn against your party. For further on this try checking what happened in FL in 2000 and OH in 2004. Finally the Democratic Party woke up and created an "anti-suppression" strike force (not sure what it's called, but I'm sure they've got one!

Now if the Rs try to discredit, discourage or otherwise eliminate otherwise qualified voters at the polls the Democratic "flying squad" will swoop in.

golfgod

Old 10-17-2008, 03:20 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,223,302 times
Quote:
Large-scale, coordinated vote stealing doesn't happen. The incentives -- unlike the incentives for registration fraud -- just aren't there.... RNC General Counsel Sean Cairncross has said he is unaware of a single improper vote cast because of bad cards submitted in the course of a voter-registration effort. Republican campaign consultant Royal Masset says, "[i]n-person voter fraud is nonexistent. It doesn't happen, and ... makes no sense because who's going to take the risk of going to jail on something so blatant that maybe changes one vote?"
(source)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections