Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,063,691 times

Advertisements

Dems get a loan for the final push - John Bresnahan - Politico.com
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, seeing an irresistible opportunity to make big gains on Election Day, has secured a $15 million loan from Bank of America that it will use to splurge on tight races during the last three weeks of the campaign season.

The $15 million loan is nearly twice the $8 million that the National Republican Congressional Committee was able to borrow recently and adds to the huge financial advantage that Democrats already hold over the GOP.

Makes it read as if the RNC was unable to borrow as much as the DNC. Does this reflect a lower credit score by the Republicans? Is it felt their long term future is not as good so they are a greater risk then the Dem's? I mean who would have thought if that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:48 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,592,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Dems get a loan for the final push - John Bresnahan - Politico.com
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, seeing an irresistible opportunity to make big gains on Election Day, has secured a $15 million loan from Bank of America that it will use to splurge on tight races during the last three weeks of the campaign season.

The $15 million loan is nearly twice the $8 million that the National Republican Congressional Committee was able to borrow recently and adds to the huge financial advantage that Democrats already hold over the GOP.

Makes it read as if the RNC was unable to borrow as much as the DNC. Does this reflect a lower credit score by the Republicans? Is it felt their long term future is not as good so they are a greater risk then the Dem's? I mean who would have thought if that is the case.
Maybe the Republicans only asked for $8 Million? Be nice to actually base your claims such as the Republican party has credit problems based on something a bit more than what little information you have provided.

Let me use this information in another manner: Republicans recently borrowed $8 million for use during the final weeks of the campaign, while the Democrats borrowed $15 million. Which just goes to show you that Republicans can get the same job done as Democrats for about half the price.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Maybe the Republicans only asked for $8 Million? Be nice to actually base your claims such as the Republican party has credit problems based on something a bit more than what little information you have provided.

Let me use this information in another manner: Republicans recently borrowed $8 million for use during the final weeks of the campaign, while the Democrats borrowed $15 million. Which just goes to show you that Republicans can get the same job done as Democrats for about half the price.
Hmmm you may want to check the thread title and note the question mark. So you are saying that the networks are giving the Republicans a discount for air time? my my touchy on this topic aren't we. Is the vaunted Republican money raising machine a tad sensitive that the Obama man is doing them in the money game? Thought they were proud of fundraising in previous elections.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:03 PM

National Party Fundraising Remains Strong, Despite Ban on Soft Money - Brookings Institution
As anticipated by most observers, the Republicans have proved to be more successful in raising hard dollars than the Democrats, outraising the Democrats by a margin of two-to-one and increasing the fundraising gap between the parties. Overall, the Republican committees collected $288 million during the course of the first 15 months of this cycle, as compared to $216 million in hard and soft money combined four years ago. The Democratic committees took in $145 million, as compared to $157 million in hard and soft money combined four years ago.

the above is from 2004 and it seems that what was good for the goose is not good for the gander from some of the posts here and complaints by the McCain camp. Maybe Phil Gramm was right we are becoming a nation of whiners.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:08 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,846,641 times
Personally I don't think any campaign should be borrowing money from banks, you should run with what you brought.
I would bet dollars to doughnuts if you compared voter credit scores between dems and reps, reps would score much higher across the board.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Interesting. This is going to be incredible when the dust settles...Can't wait to read the Historian's versions...in the meantime, I liked this one...never thought I'd live it.

The Day the Sea Rolled Back by Mickey Spillane (Paperback - Jun 1981)

Old 10-17-2008, 02:12 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Personally I don't think any campaign should be borrowing money from banks, you should run with what you brought.
I would bet dollars to doughnuts if you compared voter credit scores between dems and reps, reps would score much higher across the board.
Nope, But many folks guess this.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:16 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,426,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post

I agree with the poster above me that no party should be taking out loans to pay for campaigning but I digress back to the topic at hand.

Reps only got 8 million for a couple of reasons that I know of. First they got a loan from Wachovia. That Wachovia has frozen credit for most consumers, is on the verge of collapse and is only holding on because of the promise of fed backing and talks of a merge and still gave them that loan infuriates me. But that too is a different topic. Wachovia didn't really have any more money to give them.

Second is that yes the RNC has a problem with their credit score or at least their history of paying the money back. They got a loan in 2006 that they didn't pay back on time as promised. It took them 2 years to pay back. Not bad but not the agreed upon time either. Then there are their accounting scandals.

Those things factor in to the money available to them. There are probably one or two other issues that I'm unfamiliar with also.

A bit of information about the Rep money issues: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8691.html
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cap...l_hundred.html

Last edited by SGrey; 10-17-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: To add a links

Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I agree with the poster above me that no party should be taking out loans to pay for campaigning but I digress back to the topic at hand.

Reps couldn't only get 8 million for a couple of reasons that I know of. First they got a loan from Wachovia. That Wachovia has frozen credit for most consumers, is on the verge of collapse and is only holding on because of the promise of fed backing and talks of a merge and still gave them that loan infuriates me. But that too is a different topic. Wachovia didn't really have any more money to give them.

Second is that yes the RNC has a problem with their credit score or at least their history of paying the money back. They got a loan in 2006 that they didn't pay back on time as promised. It took them 2 years to pay back. Not bad but not the agreed upon time either. Then there are their accounting scandals.

Those things factor in to the money available to them. There are probably one or two other issues that I'm unfamiliar with also.

A bit of information about the Rep money issues: GOP sources cite lax controls at NRCC - John Bresnahan and Patrick O'Connor - Politico.com
NRCC Suspects 'Several Hundred Thousand Dollars' Stolen - Capitol Briefing
100% on target. So do Republicans really have better credit scores and what is that assumption based on. So lets assume that the do, is the following a thought to consider?

The sum of the Republicans credit worthiness is less then the sum of the parts should be? Are good credit worthy Republicans not being well represented by their collective party? What is wrong with the party that is causing them to reflect poorly on their members? Maybe Republican's it is time for you to throw all of the rascals out at the national level and reinvent the party in the image that reflects you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections