Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,588,202 times

Advertisements

This is hilarious!!!

YouTube - Maher - Palin & Bachmann = Beavis & Butthead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
At the very least, I would have thought her potential job responsibilities would top her list of things to find out about:

From an interview yesterday:
Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?”

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.

Think Progress » Palin Claims The Vice President Is ‘In Charge Of The U.S. Senate’

This would be funny if it were not so terribly sad! I am beginning to feel very sorry for John McCain! He really has served his country admirably, in the past, I suspect that he will need a post hole digger to retrieve his reputation, at this point!

OBAMA / BIDEN '08

Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,588,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2008 View Post
Seriously, how can anyone still think this poor woman is qualified to hold any federal office, let alone vice president?

And, yes, I call her a "poor woman" because she is making a fool of herself on national television. She obviously lacks the intelligence or mental ability to fully grasp how stupid she sounds and looks. It is actually really sad.
She is really making it look bad for all women and she played to the sterotypes of why some men believe women shouldnt be in power. You have to blame McCain on this one. We all know he used Sarah Palin. She was suppose to attract those angry Hillary Clinton supporters but that that didnt happen. If he was going to pick a woman, he should have at the very least pick someone who is intelligent and actually has more experience and there were plently of people to choose from.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,447,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I find it laughable that you all post here as if she was wrong but meanwhile you are all wrong.

"The formal powers and role of the vice president are limited by the Constitution to becoming President should the President become unable to serve (e.g. due to the death, resignation, or medical impairment of the President) and acting as the presiding officer of the U.S. Senate. As President of the Senate, the Vice President has two primary duties: to cast a vote in the event of a Senate deadlock and to preside over and certify the official vote count of the U.S. Electoral College."

Go get your dunce hats.
Could you please forward this on to CNN then?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,447,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You people do realize she was speaking to a 3rd grader right.

Most people when speaking to an 8 year old will realize they need to phrase things differently than when speaking to an educated adult.

Please tell me how you would explain what the VP does to an 7-8 year old.

It seems to me she broke it down to something that would be able to be comprehended by the child.
Couldn't she just have said "help the President"?

Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,360,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Couldn't she just have said "help the President"?

Well, she "could have", but she didn't!

Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,362,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
someone interviewed the new mayor and asked her what her job was. she said that she does lots of things. then they asked her what. she mentioned a board meeting and then signing checks. reminded me of Palin.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:22 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,675,377 times
She said in some interview that she wanted the powers of the VP to be expanded. Maybe she's starting out with the 2nd graders to see how it goes over.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,454,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
At the very least, I would have thought her potential job responsibilities would top her list of things to find out about:

From an interview yesterday:
Q: Brandon Garcia wants to know, “What does the Vice President do?”

PALIN: That’s something that Piper would ask me! … [T]hey’re in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom.
It occurred to me in re-reading this thread that Palin is wrong on two counts:

1. The Vice-President is "in charge" of nothing. The President of the Senate is little more than a figurehead, and as such, has no input on bills as they are written, debated, and voted upon (unless there's a tie). So Vice-Presidents don't "really get in there with the Senators" and they don't help "make a lot of good policy changes", and the fact that her misunderstanding of the very office she's been running for is so profound would be deeply troubling if she had a chance of winning.

2. Palin is a mother, and she was answering a question sent in by a third-grader. And the very first part of her answer was that the Vice-President was "in charge" of the Senate. Not only is that wrong (see above), but a very inappropriate thing to say to a kid. Think about it. For this third-grader, his parents are "in charge" when he's home; his teacher is "in charge" when he's at school; his older brother or sister or babysitter is "in charge" when his parents aren't around.

For a third-grader, a person who is "in charge" is the person who makes the rules, who enforces the rules, who makes the decisions, who basically tells him what to do. That is so totally NOT the relationship that the Vice-President (even Darth Cheney) has with the Senate.

The level of Palin's ignorance is stunning.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,721,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
She said in some interview that she wanted the powers of the VP to be expanded. Maybe she's starting out with the 2nd graders to see how it goes over.
I like this idea - it's a trial balloon.

"Our polling shows the idea does very well among constituents who haven't graduated from elementary school"

"Great, that'll help our poll numbers among adults in West Virginia!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections