Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,085,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
She is really making it look bad for all women and she played to the sterotypes of why some men believe women shouldnt be in power. You have to blame McCain on this one. We all know he used Sarah Palin. She was suppose to attract those angry Hillary Clinton supporters but that that didnt happen. If he was going to pick a woman, he should have at the very least pick someone who is intelligent and actually has more experience and there were plently of people to choose from.
OH but apparently those intellgent and educated Republican would not have looked good in $12000 suits, so no, John McCain knew we wanted eye candy and a pretty smile. Country First!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:49 AM

874 posts, read 1,857,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > People > Officers & Staff > Vice President of the United States (President of the Senate)

As designated by the Constitution of the United States, the vice president also serves as the President of the Senate, and may break tie votes in that chamber.

Make sure you read the link above!!!!
Very informative. I especially liked the Agnew story. The "Jordan Rule" is an interesting way to handle VP's that get too big for their britches.

"Expansion of the office did not come without a cost, however. In assuming substantive policy responsibilities, vice presidents often ran afoul of cabinet secretaries whose territories they invaded. As administration lobbyists, they also irritated members of Congress. My favorite example of this problem occurred in 1969. President Nixon had pledged to give his vice president a significant policy-making role and - for the first time - an office in the White House itself. Spiro Agnew was determined to make the most of that role and to expand his legislative functions as well. Since he lacked previous legislative experience, he had the Senate parliamentarian tutor him on the intricacies of Senate floor procedure. Soon he began to inject himself into the course of Senate proceedings, contrary to the well-worn practice that constrained his predecessors. During the debate over the Anti-Ballistic-Missile Treaty, Agnew approached Idaho Republican Senator Len Jordan and asked how he was going to vote. "You can't tell me how to vote!" said the shocked senator. "You can't twist my arm!" At the next regular luncheon of Republican senators, Jordan accused Agnew of breaking the separation of powers by lobbying on the Senate floor, and announced the "Jordan Rule." Under his rule, if the vice president tried to lobby him on anything, the senator would automatically vote the other way. Agnew concluded from this experience, "after trying for a while to get along with the Senate, I decided I would go down to the other end of Pennsylvania Avenue and try playing the executive game."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections