Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:33 PM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times

Advertisements

Following the Democratic Convention the GOP tried to trump up a story that the flags had been treated with disrespect....the story didn't pan out as it was untrue.

But since they wanted to make the US Flag and its treatment a campaign issue....the following video is of interest. After the GOP Rally on Monday....the huge flag was taken down by unceremoniously dumping it on the ground. VIDEO: American Flag on the Ground Following Sen. McCain Rally | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO (http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=158061&catid=3 - broken link) How do you feel about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,102 times
If I'm not mistaken the flag should never touch the ground, correct?

Though both Dems and Republicans, and pretty much all Americans violate the so-called "Flag Code" when they print it on disposable merchandise. "American flag paper plates", "American flag leaflets", etc. --all of these are technicially in violation of U.S. Flag Code.

But who cares anyway?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:40 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
If I'm not mistaken the flag should never touch the ground, correct?

Though both Dems and Republicans, and pretty much all Americans violate the so-called "Flag Code" when they print it on disposable merchandise. "American flag paper plates", "American flag leaflets", etc. --all of these are technicially in violation of U.S. Flag Code.

But who cares anyway?
I think it is good to care. Dems and Repubs should show respect for it. You cant really quantify why, but I equate it to having self respect and just being appreciative of a symbol that represents (or sometimes I think used to represent) a great ideal to live up to.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
Seems like a good metaphor for what McCain wants to continue for the next 4 years.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

I am a left liberal democrat and I do care.....the flag shouldnt be used as bunting or disposable merchandise; but what I really care about is Republican hypocrisy....they brought this issue up as they were thrashing around for a theme for their campaign, they also brought up the flag pin, (that Sen. McCain no longer wears) when they thought they could attack Sen. Obama's patriotism. The Republican party wraps itself in the flag ad nauseum but it is all for show--McCain and Bush have shown a callous disregard for our troops, our values and our security. Dragging the oversized flag on the ground after the crowds are gone is a statement to that hypocrisy.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:45 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I am a left liberal democrat and I do care.....the flag shouldnt be used as bunting or disposable merchandise; but what I really care about is Republican hypocrisy....they brought this issue up as they were thrashing around for a theme for their campaign.
I agree with you.

One point of clarification though, bunting is ok under the guidelines. It does not have the stars on it and is usually just red white and blue stripes, therefore not technically a flag.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Here's the flag statute:

United States Flag Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-21-2008, 01:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,439 times
If the flag touches the ground, then it must be burned!!!!!

The OBAMA supporters following the GOP around again with their crew to stage some negative activities so they can quickly publish them on the Net????

Are those volunteers from the Palin Camp really OBAMA supporters posing as Palin supporters?????

Because I have seen SO MANY videos taken by OBAMA supporters that videotape their co-conspirators doing these outrageous things to make the McCain/Palin look bad.

Tell the McCain/Palin camp to burn the flag properly!!! END OF STORY.

And watch for the Obama supporters posing as McCain/Palin supporters in rallies.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I agree with you.

One point of clarification though, bunting is ok under the guidelines. It does not have the stars on it and is usually just red white and blue stripes, therefore not technically a flag.
your distinction is exactly what I meant....bunting isnt the flag and red white and blue stripes on a paper plate isnt the flag.....The Flag is different and needs to be treated with dignity. It is the symbol or our country; if you are going to fly an oversize flag....dont treat it like so much garbage after you have used it.

It was the local tv new that filmed this incident....not Obama/Palin supporters.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,076,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
your distinction is exactly what I meant....bunting isnt the flag and red white and blue stripes on a paper plate isnt the flag.....The Flag is different and needs to be treated with dignity. It is the symbol or our country; if you are going to fly an oversize flag....dont treat it like so much garbage after you have used it.

It was the local tv new that filmed this incident....not Obama/Palin supporters.
But the local media and all the media are ALL OBAMA supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections