Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times

Advertisements

Bin Laden/Al Qaeda spent at most a few million dollars and likely substantially less to carry out 9-11, they are still functionally at large and Bin Laden is where again?

The US has spent upwards of 2 trillion dollars on the face, plus several hundred billion more expanding the federal government, enacting sweeping new laws, created new departments and organizations, changed its entire society, ran up exorbitant deficits, spent thousands of lives more than were killed on 9-11.

Who if anyone is actually "winning" anything here?

It would seem to be prudent for people to read up on "The Afghan Trap", laid by Zbigniew Brzezinski (Carters National Security adviser) to catch the former Soviet Union and give them their own Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,170,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Bin Laden/Al Qaeda spent at most a few million dollars and likely substantially less to carry out 9-11, they are still functionally at large and Bin Laden is where again?

The US has spent upwards of 2 trillion dollars on the face, plus several hundred billion more expanding the federal government, enacting sweeping new laws, created new departments and organizations, changed its entire society, ran up exorbitant deficits, spent thousands of lives more than were killed on 9-11.

It would seem to be prudent for people to read up on "The Afghan Trap", laid by Zbigniew Brzezinski (Carters National Security adviser) to catch the former Soviet Union and give them their own Vietnam.
Hurrrrrr.

Rational arguments have stopped working. Even when our own intelligence agencies, the 9/11 Commission, and mid east experts come out and tell us that our involvement in these countries fuel terrorism, the answer that always comes from the GOP and even many Democrats is more involvement and more bombing and invasions. It seems counterproductive to reducing terrorism, IMO.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Hurrrrrr.

Rational arguments have stopped working. Even when our own intelligence agencies, the 9/11 Commission, and mid east experts come out and tell us that our involvement in these countries fuel terrorism, the answer that always comes from the GOP and even many Democrats is more involvement and more bombing and invasions. It seems counterproductive to reducing terrorism, IMO.

Well we certainly have viable interest in the region and there also must be some measured response when we are attacked by anyone. Whether we like it or not, the US is beholden to the Middle East's energy reserves thanks largely to the Carter doctrine and every subsequent President since.

In any event and contrary to many folks views here, I don't see Obama as the Moses of America leading his people out of the desert. I'll wager that at the end of Obama's time in office that US troops will still be in Iraq, will still be in Afghanistan, and very well may be someplace as of yet unforeseen. While he may not hold the imperial views of McCain, I see less substantive difference between the two concerning our Middle East policies than most people do. I'm not sure I have ever heard Obama mention cutting defense spending yet, although he may have and I just didn't hear it.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,361 times
Tell me what Al-Qaeda wants to do to this country and its civilians again?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Tell me what Al-Qaeda wants to do to this country and its civilians again?
How about asking why rather than continuing the status quo?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Well we certainly have viable interest in the region and there also must be some measured response when we are attacked by anyone. Whether we like it or not, the US is beholden to the Middle East's energy reserves thanks largely to the Carter doctrine and every subsequent President since.

In any event and contrary to many folks views here, I don't see Obama as the Moses of America leading his people out of the desert. I'll wager that at the end of Obama's time in office that US troops will still be in Iraq, will still be in Afghanistan, and very well may be someplace as of yet unforeseen. While he may not hold the imperial views of McCain, I see less substantive difference between the two concerning our Middle East policies than most people do. I'm not sure I have ever heard Obama mention cutting defense spending yet, although he may have and I just didn't hear it.
Obama has said he wants to decrease the military budget eliminating programs that aren't working. Of course, that's his answer for everything, so I really don't know that we'll see any real improvement in relations with those in the middle east.

I understand our interests there. However, like Washington told us, we can trade with nations, but entangling alliances are never acceptable. Israel. hehe.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,444,531 times
Bahahahahaha!!! Now we are polling terrorists? Great maybe Acorn can register them to vote.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They're trying for reverse psychology this time around.
Funny. I don't remember any conservatives claiming "reverse psychology" when Osama Bin Laden came out against Bush in 2004.

Regardless, anyone who lets this influence their vote for either candidate is a fool.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,468,452 times
Quote:

This is a direct quote from the Osama Bin Laden video of October, 2004:

[It is] easy for us to provoke and bait this administration. All that we have to do is to send two mujahidin to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al-Qaida, in order to make the generals race there and cause America to suffer human, economic, and political losses ... This is in addition to our having experience in using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers, as we, alongside the mujahidin, bled Russia for 10 years, until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,064,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
It's called strategy.

Think about it, anyone in Al-Qaeda comes out and says they endorse Nobama and a lot of people get scared and vote McCain.
Too funny! We Obamaites aren't motivated by fear, that's your side of the farm. Unlike the you folks we know where the central war on terror is and we have an idea of how to conduct it. Here's a hint, it ain't Eyerack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections