Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,021,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS1 View Post
This is beautiful and so true. Very well articulated. You know what is so ironic about the racist argument? Barry and his family sat in a church for 20 years and listened to their preacher spout Anti-American, racist filth, yet he has the audacity to label others as racist. It would seem to me he is the racist in this equation.
Yes, he is. And to provide a cover for it and silence people's objections, he turns the tables and paints anyone who doesn't agree with him as a racist. Well, he can try but it WILL backfire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:13 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
To me it is respecting the rule of law and to remain a country of laws not whims. It is respecting the religious beliefs of my neighbors and not imposing my customs upon them, while celebrating and living my religous to the fullest. It is respecting the will of the will of the people during elections and supporting the country even if I do not particularly agree with the policies. It is using my right of free speech and freedom of assembly to influence my community if I feel a cause is just and right and to accept the will of the people after I have had my say. It is working hard everyday to make life better for those you love and those you may not even know by being involved in your local neighborhood, city, county through volunterr programs, etc. It is making sure your family is healthy, educated, and productive and are good citizens. But most of all, I think we need to exercise our rights, all of them, as often as possible to keep them healthy and show the world what a great thing diversity, community, and hard work can do within a free society.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,252,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaS1 View Post
This is beautiful and so true. Very well articulated. You know what is so ironic about the racist argument? Barry and his family sat in a church for 20 years and listened to their preacher spout Anti-American, racist filth, yet he has the audacity to label others as racist. It would seem to me he is the racist in this equation.
There are more blacks that are going to vote for Obama because he is black than there are whites that are not going to vote for him because he is black.

Then all over CNN this morning is the report that if Obama lost the election, there could be rioting in some cities. Now I guarantee you if McCain loses, there will not be white people rioting in the streets feeling like we didn't get a fair shake because our "white boy" didn't get elected.

You can call me rascist if you want, but I have very good black friends who are extremely intelligent that agree with me, and I say it is the black people who are doing more to perpetually create rascism for themselves. I am not voting for John McCain because he is white, nor am I NOT voting for Obama because he is black. I only WISH Obama shared my same views and policies, because as good as a speaker and as polished as he is, he would make a great representative as head of our country. Therein lies the problem...his policies. If he shared my views he would get my vote, period.

The whole rascism thing is blown completely out of proportion and is propogated and regenerated over and over again by mostly the Democrats and those who think that rioting in the streets is the way to handle situations. How many of these supposed rioters even vote I wonder?

I'm sick of hearing about race. Give it a rest.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,415,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Forgetting? No. We've just been told over and over by the Obama campaign that if you're white, you HAVE to vote for Obama to prove you're not a racist; that if you live in the country, unless you vote for Obama, you're a redneck; that if you're poor, you have to vote for Obama or else you're stupid AND poor; that if you have traditional moral values, you're a "hater," unless you vote for Obama to prove you're not; if you're a woman, you only have a right to dignity if you work for Obama -- if you don't, or you don't "do enough," Obama and his minions will trash you.

Obama has set up the dichotomies early and reinforced them throughout his campaign. He is re-defining what it is to be an American and much of it involves embracing him.
Thank you for this succinct and accurate portrayal of things as they are.

The original notion of this thread is, to me, somehow flawed, though, as I don't quite see how the destruction of an economic system or the stealing of money from hard working people to give to those who'd rather stay home is particularly American.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:21 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,415,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Being an American means seeing your country as your community and family and always wanting the best for them.
And it means that if you want the best for you family, your neighbors and your country that you will gladly WORK toward that noble end. This is, I think what separates the two parties, and why I could never vote for a Democrat.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,144,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
The original notion of this thread is, to me, somehow flawed, though, as I don't quite see how the destruction of an economic system or the stealing of money from hard working people to give to those who'd rather stay home is particularly American.
The thread isn't about Obama's tax policies (which McCain used to support), though. I think you're digressing.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
Being American is having choices.
Right on!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
And it means that if you want the best for you family, your neighbors and your country that you will gladly WORK toward that noble end. This is, I think what separates the two parties, and why I could never vote for a Democrat.
That doesn't make sense to me. It's safe to say that people voting for either of these main candidates want to work toward the best for family and community. I mean, that's pretty basic.

Last edited by buildings_and_bridges; 10-23-2008 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,083,924 times
guess all those nonworking democrats, those fake americans, those lazy liberals could not have possibly banded together, put their money and votes where their mouth is, to propel this man to the presidency. Man, if all us wasters can beat out the greatest living American hero and the most qualified governor in the entire US, then I guess it sucks to be a Republican these days

Old 10-23-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
This American is....

...not particularly religious, straight, raised in a big city, fiscally conservative, has a special needs child, pro-choice, pro-gay-rights, pro-gun-rights, pro-death-penalty, not afraid of Muslims, very afraid of religious extremists (any religion), shop at Sears and Walmart, Ivy League educated. Loves America. Doesn't love all of its policies.

Next?
...not at all religious, barely spiritual, doesn't subscribe to labels for sexual orientation, raised in medium-sized city, more liberal on most issues than most of the rest of the country (probably), went to public school, attending a public university, working on second master's, only concerned about extremists of any religion (or in general), begrudgingly shops at Wal-Mart (lol), loves the South (red beans and rice on Mondays and all that), loves her family, cares about the country and the world.

But I think the best thing about us is that we change as we grow older, as I don't doubt I will, at least in a few ways, if not more than a few. It's a big part of why I'm such a huge fan of Malcolm X--he evolved with the world around him as he grew into adulthood and approached middle-age, and for the better. I guess that's what it's about to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections