Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
March of Democracy

Tell me how weak it was..... It was weak because it fell to the arms race. We have gone over this before I believe.
No,that ws some other faceless liberal.

It was weak systemically and had been for a long, long, long time. It was dying and its death was being hurried along by many years of attempts at reform in every direction.

So, third time Im asking, where did Obama say Reagan only stood in front of the Wall..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis702 View Post
Wow I can't believe this an Obama supporter supporting the words of GOLDWATER who held segregationist ideals? If America still held segregationist ideals today, Obama wouldn't even be running for president, shame on you.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:38 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,492,612 times
I'm done with this thread but I will leave this. Although almost everything Obama stands for goes against what Reagan & Goldwater wanted a few things they do have in common. Freedom of speech and freedom of information and the power of the people. If Obama loses those ideals he will be what they fought against and in Reagan's case all but his early life was spent fighting against it.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 PM

573 posts, read 802,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Wow I can't believe this an Obama supporter supporting the words of GOLDWATER who held segregationist ideals? If America still held segregationist ideals today, Obama wouldn't even be running for president, shame on you.
I guess some people are quick to be judgmental. It is a documentary by Goldwater's granddaughter. She was one of those who endorsed Obama so it is relevant here.

If you instead prefer to be ignorant about Goldwater or Nixon or LBJ or J. Edgar Hoover or Stalin, etc. etc., then that is your choice. I prefer to learn about history. That does not mean I endorse them or agree with any of their philosophy - it means I prefer to be educated in a variety of ways and not stuck in dogma of my own or others' beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
... shame on you.
Yes, Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton, mother superior, et al. Sheesh.

Last edited by Tennis702; 10-23-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 05:08 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,125,068 times
the repugs are sensing their fate is near, a HUGE loss is awaiting them Nov 4th....

Old 10-23-2008, 05:28 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,945 times
Both Goldwater and Reagan would roll over in their graves to know members of their families endorse this man.

And to suggest here that someone "heard somewhere" that Nancy Reagan wanted to reverse her endorsement of John McCain without any substantiation whatsoever is simply irresponsible.

I don't believe it.

And for anyone thinking that Republicans feel in any way that our fate is near is to be someone who is not paying full attention to what is going on out there.

Crow is not a tasty dish. So I'm careful in what I say and don't make assumptions about the very unpredictable future.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,919,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Both Goldwater and Reagan would roll over in their graves to know members of their families endorse this man.
You're wrong. Both men would be proud that their offspring can look at the man/woman, the issues, the state the country is in today and make the a choice that they believe is the best one for their country. Regardless of the mentality of some on this forum, and as proven by the large number of Republicans endorsing Senator Obama, not all persons of the GOP persuasion are Stepford wives.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM

956 posts, read 1,235,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
You're wrong. Both men would be proud that their offspring can look at the man/woman, the issues, the state the country is in today and make the a choice that they believe is the best one for their country. Regardless of the mentality of some on this forum, and as proven by the large number of Republicans endorsing Senator Obama, not all persons of the GOP persuasion are Stepford wives.
Excuse me, you may not agree with me which is your right ... but I am most definitely not wrong.

How on earth would you have any idea of what either Goldwater or Reagan would be proud of? Most assuredly they would both be proud that their descendents make their own decisions rather than just being followers. They would be spinning because of their disappointment in the decision those descendents have made in supporting a candidate who will most probably be the beginning of the end of this country as we know it, the one our founding fathers did their utmost to protect in our Constitution.

It is the judgment of their offspring that would be upsetting to both Goldwater and Reagan.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:59 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,120 times
At first when Susan Eisenhower endorsed Obama, I didn't think anything of it. After all, Ike was no uber-conservative. But then the steady stream came, capping it all with Colin Powell. Yes, they're all moderate, but the fact that they would go so far as endorse Obama (who is waaaay to the left of them) is pretty dramatic. The fact that this many Republicans would endorse someone so foreign to their beliefs sends a huge red flag to the GOP. You can't just dismiss all of them as left wing nuts (especially colin powell)

Every party needs a moderate wing. From my angle, it seems that the GOP doesn't have much room for moderate Republicans these days. Just listen to the talk radio crowd and you'll get some idea of how they view them.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,488,120 times
Quote:
Originally posted by McMolly
They would be spinning because of their disappointment in the decision those descendents have made in supporting a candidate who will most probably be the beginning of the end of this country as we know it, the one our founding fathers did their utmost to protect in our Constitution.
President Bush already started us on that path. If anything, Obama would just continue it, only in a left wing fashion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections