Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:44 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,066,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Well, I'm not sure why you are adding the two amounts together. I wasn't trying to mangle anything.

What his own tax calculator says is this...

As a married couple jointly making between $150k and $200k the tax cut is $500 but if we make between $100k and $150k its $1000. Why aren't both income ranges $1000? Both ranges fall under the $250k for families, right?
Because $350,000 is more than $250,000!

"a married couple jointly making between $150k and $200k the tax cut is $500 but if we make between $100k and $150k its $1000."

$150k and $200k equals $350 K

$100k and $150k equals $250 K

Am I missing something?

As for your impatience having your question answered, frankly it has nothing to do with the thread, so if you would like to address the issue at hand it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM

542 posts, read 1,687,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Because $350,000 is more than $250,000!

"a married couple jointly making between $150k and $200k the tax cut is $500 but if we make between $100k and $150k its $1000."

$150k and $200k equals $350 K

$100k and $150k equals $250 K

Am I missing something?

As for your impatience having your question answered, frankly it has nothing to do with the thread, so if you would like to address the issue at hand it would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, I do think you are missing something. The between $150k and $200k range means if my husband and I together make $164k (not each of us added together) then we don't get the full credit. Its phased out at $150k for joint filers, not $250k as his speeches lead one to believe.

Again, I'm not sure why your adding the amounts as the amounts are for the couple combined, not each spouse. Its a salary range, not two amounts to add together. Maybe I'm not explaining it right.

If you go to the calculator and say you and your spouse make a total that falls between $150k and $200k, the credit you get is $500, not $1000.

I'm really not trying to be nasty, I was trying to figure out all the specifics of his tax plan. I agree though that it didn't really answer your question but in trying to do so I wanted to understand the plan first.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
Since the Great Depression, the progressive tax code has been used as a tool to "redistribute wealth" from Social Security to welfare, from the Earn Income Tax Credit enacted by Gerald Ford the U.S. has pursued a progressive tax structure that has charged the wealthy more, and paid for a social safety net for workers who make less. So if you would, please point out how Obama's tax proposals differ from this long standing policy goal?
To address this question specifically, I don't think its any different. I do think its continuing the progressive trend instead of moving away from it. I would rather see some alternatives to our progressive income tax system but its not going to happen anytime soon with either of the two candidates.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,535,819 times
Quote:
To address this question specifically, I don't think its any different. I do think its continuing the progressive trend instead of moving away from it. I would rather see some alternatives to our progressive income tax system but its not going to happen anytime soon with either of the two candidates.
Imposing no taxes is the only alternative that doesn't smack of progressive taxation. Even a flat tax will tax the rich more than the poor. A flat tax rate of 15% will make a $100k earner pay $15k, while a $10K earner will pay $1.5K. To be intellectually consistent, those who oppose progressive taxation should oppose all taxation.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Imposing no taxes is the only alternative that doesn't smack of progressive taxation. Even a flat tax will tax the rich more than the poor. A flat tax rate of 15% will make a $100k earner pay $15k, while a $10K earner will pay $1.5K. To be intellectually consistent, those who oppose progressive taxation should oppose all taxation.
I would be okay with no taxation!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,535,819 times
Quote:
I would be okay with no taxation!
Sure, but you should also be okay with no government. That's what no taxation boils down to. Taxes support the government. At the very basic, your taxes will pay for the police and the military to protect your private property.

There are in fact countries on earth with no functioning government. They are known as Failed state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Foreign Policy: The Failed States Index 2008

Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,084,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Sure, but you should also be okay with no government. That's what no taxation boils down to. Taxes support the government. At the very basic, your taxes will pay for the police and the military to protect your private property.

There are in fact countries on earth with no functioning government. They are known as Failed state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Foreign Policy: The Failed States Index 2008
And the other side of the coin is too much taxation does the same thing...

Old 10-30-2008, 10:35 AM

355 posts, read 556,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Yes, I do think you are missing something. The between $150k and $200k range means if my husband and I together make $164k (not each of us added together) then we don't get the full credit. Its phased out at $150k for joint filers, not $250k as his speeches lead one to believe.

Again, I'm not sure why your adding the amounts as the amounts are for the couple combined, not each spouse. Its a salary range, not two amounts to add together. Maybe I'm not explaining it right.

If you go to the calculator and say you and your spouse make a total that falls between $150k and $200k, the credit you get is $500, not $1000.

I'm really not trying to be nasty, I was trying to figure out all the specifics of his tax plan. I agree though that it didn't really answer your question but in trying to do so I wanted to understand the plan first.
The tax calculator seems to be too simple and not the whole story. People will have different results based on the buttons they pushed even though they have the same income.

I believe the credit is different than the statement that people who earn under 250 will not have their taxe liability raised. Aren't we talking about two different things here? If I make over 250 my tax liability is 35% today. It may increase to 39.6. That is not the same thing as a credit to people who make under a certain amount. The stimulus payment sent out last spring had nothing to do with tax liability.

The stimulus payment had a cap as well. People whose earned income or social security income was under 3000 didn't get the payment and the payment phased out for individuals with adjusted gross incomes (AGI) over $75,000 and married couples who filed a joint return with AGI over $150,000. The combined payment was reduced by 5 percent of the income above the AGI thresholds.

Page one of the comprehensive tax plan talks about tax rates. Page two talks about credits. Two different things. Credits show up on the return after taxable income is computed and they are phased out based on income. I will get a tax cut because I have kids in college. My neighbor will not because he has no kids. So even though our taxable income might be the same our liability will be different.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/taxes/Factsheet_Tax_Plan_FINAL.pdf

I didn't see anything about the Alternative Minimum Tax though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections