Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times

Advertisements

Whatever you may think of John McCain personally and whatever you may think of how he managed his Presidential campaign, I personally don't think it is very fair to blame the GOP meltdown on John McCain.

From rumor mills to Karl Rove himself describing tensions within the McCain campaign, from Republican and conservative defectors endorsing Obama, and the now forming circle of social conservatives around Palin as the next little lady with a big hand, it is a lot of things but not all John.

I have been talking about the slow seepage of traditional GOP stalwarts hemmoraging from the party since as far back as 2004 where it was then passed off as usual personnel changes in the Bush administration. A LOT of the them. At this time the cracks were evident to anyone paying attention and the party began to slowly form into camps. From 2004 and on, the bleeding went from a slow trickle to an outright gusher as many Republicans seeking reelection in 2006 could see the writing on the wall, as Bush was a toxic hot tater.

Yet here we are today looking at the Republican Party on a triage table with its crimson essence spilling onto the floor like a hemophiliac with a severed leg and the murmur turned whisper is now beginning to sound a chorus, it was all John McCain's fault.

I happen to think this is just a damn rotten thing to do to the guy as the collapse of the Republican Party can hardly be laid at the feet of just John McCain. The majority of this party having seen him with a mild contempt tempered with a tinge of cool, this guy is a maverick like in gun smoke, kind of admiration. Never really being "one of them" but like a kooky friend, fun to have around.

I only hope folks give the guy a tip of the hat and a pat on the back for running a campaign that was far more about running against one from their own party, George Bush as it was about running against anyone else. However the Republican Party to turn and sacrifice McCain up to the alter of blame would be a sickening thing to do in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:03 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,278 times
Dude, it ain't over yet.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times

YouTube - Kay Hagan Responds to Dole's "Godless" Ad

Another example. They only have themselves to blame.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Whatever you may think of John McCain personally and whatever you may think of how he managed his Presidential campaign, I personally don't think it is very fair to blame the GOP meltdown on John McCain.

From rumor mills to Karl Rove himself describing tensions within the McCain campaign, from Republican and conservative defectors endorsing Obama, and the now forming circle of social conservatives around Palin as the next little lady with a big hand, it is a lot of things but not all John.

I have been talking about the slow seepage of traditional GOP stalwarts hemmoraging from the party since as far back as 2004 where it was then passed off as usual personnel changes in the Bush administration. A LOT of the them. At this time the cracks were evident to anyone paying attention and the party began to slowly form into camps. From 2004 and on, the bleeding went from a slow trickle to an outright gusher as many Republicans seeking reelection in 2006 could see the writing on the wall, as Bush was a toxic hot tater.

Yet here we are today looking at the Republican Party on a triage table with its crimson essence spilling onto the floor like a hemophiliac with a severed leg and the murmur turned whisper is now beginning to sound a chorus, it was all John McCain's fault.

I happen to think this is just a damn rotten thing to do to the guy as the collapse of the Republican Party can hardly be laid at the feet of just John McCain. The majority of this party having seen him with a mild contempt tempered with a tinge of cool, this guy is a maverick like in gun smoke, kind of admiration. Never really being "one of them" but like a kooky friend, fun to have around.

I only hope folks give the guy a tip of the hat and a pat on the back for running a campaign that was far more about running against one from their own party, George Bush as it was about running against anyone else. However the Republican Party to turn and sacrifice McCain up to the alter of blame would be a sickening thing to do in my opinion.
I agree with much of what you've said, except about McCain. This is McCain's campaign. His complete inability to manage it speaks volumes about his executive capacity as well as his character. He promised to run a clean campaign. He didn't. That was his choice. Entirely.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I agree with much of what you've said, except about McCain. This is McCain's campaign. His complete inability to manage it speaks volumes about his executive capacity as well as his character. He promised to run a clean campaign. He didn't. That was his choice. Entirely.
But but but he can't help what his supporters do.

Palin hasn't exactly helped either.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times
The ironic thing is that McCain is doing his darndest to convince us that if he crashes again, we will all be imprisoned by Communists!!! Seems a recurring theme, if all else fails, blame the commies!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,280,673 times
Palin has been the worst. McCain could have stopped her attacks. He didn't. I'm sorry, but I think McCain is responsible for the hatefest that his campaign has become.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

YouTube - Kay Hagan Responds to Dole's "Godless" Ad

Another example. They only have themselves to blame.
Yeah, I caught this a bit earlier and it is disgustingly crude and low rent. Pathetic signs of a flailing death throw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
As far as the campaign goes, sure, folks can blame that on McCain as it was ran oh so 20th century and it was rather disgusting as the above comment suggest about another campaign.

However, outside of just this campaign, there is discussion that somehow it is John McCain's fault for the huge losses in Congressional seats about to take place and the utter collapse of the Republican Party. That I think is very unfair and untrue. I think it was largely in part, the party that made his campaign difficult (what he did is another thing) as the Republican Party was already well on its way to falling apart back about this time last year.

McCain is likely to just become the scape goat as he is not far from retirement, he was never very well received by the parties holy priest, and with the campaign falling apart and the "gem in the rough" Palin biting at her chain, John will take the heat for a lot that is not of his doing.

I just wonder if McCain will fall on his sword for the greater glory of the party in the sake of future unity and allow it or will he be a maverick and leave with a one fingered salute.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 10-29-2008 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: context

Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
TnHillTopper: great post. I've watched a few years now as one GOP office holder after another says they are going to retire this year and not run for re-election. This list is long. The other list of GOP defections to the Obama camp is as long or longer. A few sitting GOP Senators are going to get the boot too, as in AK, NH, NC, MN, OR, maybe more, and 3 vacant former GOP seats look like DEM shoe-ins (NM, CO, VA). I'm hoping for a super majority for the DEMs.

Rove, DeLay, Bush, Cheney, Lott, Frist, Gonzo, Dobson, Falwell and a ton of bad actors have had a role in the demise of the GOP. It's going to take a few election cycles for them to regain credibility, longer if the DEMs do a good job with what's being entrusted to them on Nov 4. The single biggest cause is G. W. Bush, arguably the worst administration ever, the worst I've seen in 60 years. One cannot begin to list all the horrors and lies and thievery. He's made us the laughing stock of the world.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Dude, it ain't over yet.
But the fat lady is warming up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections