Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Obama wins how will YOUR life change?
Ability to stay in my home and keep out of bankruptcy 8 15.69%
Obtain better medical insurance for affordable price, finally 16 31.37%
Move our nation in positive direction , especially our economy 43 84.31%
Greater opportunities for my children and grandchildren due to his Presidency? 21 41.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:09 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,829 times

Advertisements

I am an independent (ex-Rep) voted Obama mainly because I honestly think McCain lacks the character (recall how he treats his wife, his emotional stability, his selling out to the Wingnuts etc), judgement (Palin, the way he runs the campaign, etc) to be President. Palin pick infuriated me.

- the last 2 of 4 choices from OP are interlinked -I clicked on both
- my taxes will go up (>$250k family - not too hard these days). Remember, Iraqi war bill may be $1 trillion or so - about $6000 per tax payer - so do not tell me Bush did not raise "taxes".
- fundies may be under check - I love this part. Maybe, things like science, being well-read, etc will not be looked down upon and people may want to listen to a Joe the Senator rather than Joe the plumber on FP related to Israel
- Republicans may have a chance to reshape their image - especially if there is a thumping in the Congress
- Republicans have shown the ability to run up deficits and not worry about them - exactly the kind of things they are not supposed to do. Time to show my displeasure.
- even if Obama is half decent, it will be way better than Bush or McCain (especially if something happens to McCain)

Last edited by calmdude; 10-31-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 03:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,274,282 times
None of the above.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:09 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times
My life will be better because my country will be better off without President Cheney pulling the puppet strings on Bush, and all the Bushies and supporters will be out of the White House if the Democrats win. To me, it's a party thing, although I do think Obama is good and will bring dedicated, bright people in. I honestly think they will be better for the country as a whole (no invented wars) than the Repubs, and I fear John McCain's desire for a military victory, somehow, somewhere. Of course, I cannot imagine a President Palin being good for the country, either.
Having a relativelyl secure job and cheap mortgage, I can think of more than my own situation, and I wish well for the nation.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,658,018 times
None of the above - the lack of experience in ANYTHING for Obama will count seriously against him. His stuttering and stammering and lack of attention to facts will make him wishy washy at best. His promise of change will be change for the worse with bigger government, more intrusion into our lives and an overall lack of bipartisanship. Obama is not a uniter but a divider. And for anyone who actually thinks that your taxes will go dow, review history as the judge. This country needs to go back to the basics which is what made in great in the first place.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 AM

8,827 posts, read 15,335,159 times
Definitely none of the above.

I am not in danger of losing my home. We made good decisions when we bought it, and stayed within our means.

My healthcare is great as it is. I don't need gov't to get involved with it. We are not entitled to health insurance.

Raising taxes on coorporations will not create jobs. Small businesses are going to suffer.

There are great opportunities for us now...people just don't want to work for them. Sense of entitlement will only get worse.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,209,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
If Senator Obama wins how will YOUR life change?

My hope for the U.S. is as follows:

(1) Get out of Iraq and stop throwing away good money for a losing cause. We went there based on FALSE assumptions. That part is done. Once the deed is done, you can't go back. It's time to realize that it was all a ruse, a very expensive ruse. Once that is done, then it's time to move forward towards positive action, meaning get out of there.

(2) Find out what is happening to the social security fund once and for all. Will it or will it NOT be available for the future benefactors? Quit lying to people, quit stealing money from people. We are all paying VERY HIGH premiums into social security. Are we or are we not going to be able to draw on it? Quit using social security money to fund other projects.

(3) No Child Left Behind - is it working or is it not? If not, get rid of it and quit making teachers teach to the test and quit penalizing schools.

(4) Health Coverage. What is going on here? There is no doubt that our health care system is broken. When insurance companies have to answer to stockholders and CEO's, how is this ensuring that patients actually HAVE access to healthcare that is needed?

(5) Employment. Why exactly are ex-pat companies getting tax breaks and being rewarded for setting up manufacturing overseas? Why exactly is that? Does this make sense to anyone? It doesn't to me.

These, to me, are the Big 5. I don't mind paying taxes if our money is being used to build OUR OWN infrastructure and our own citizens. Unless we invest in our own country and in our own citizens, we are going to continue our path to becoming a third-world nation. We are in huge debt, the self-regulated banking industry s*cks. There are many more problems that will take more than 4 years to fix. We've had 8 years of our constitution being shredded to pieces, 8 years of non-accountability, of the fox running the henhouse. Whoever wins the election would have to be a combation of David Copperfield and Merlin the Magician to fix all of these problems in one term, even two terms. It could take 20+ years to fix the errors of the last 8 years. I feel really sorry for our WHOLE nation, ALL of us, no matter what party we are. At the same time, we must feel hopeful and move forward towards a better day.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:03 AM

703 posts, read 856,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I have always hear him say $250,000

Well with all due respect where I live it is NOT. Is it comfortable but not rich.

But that is what he wants. The government to control health care.

They probably saw you fast because they knew they would be getting money from you.

So all the links I posted are lies? All the studies that show how government health care does not work.

I have no problem with them coming here I just think it is telling as to how a system like that works. Or in other words, it doesn't.
We won't agree on this stuff so let's just let it go.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,209,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I will have the ability to watch liberals float just barely above ground for about 2 weeks. then they will be grounded by reality.

Better 2 weeks of joy than 8 years of hell that we've already gone through. The "grounded reality" is that ALL of us, no matter our political party, have to fix 8 years of non-accountability, the systematic rape and pillaging of our resources, 8 years of non-stop debt incurrence in order to fund an illegal war, 8 years of shredding the constitution to bits, 8 years of Dick Cheney expanding and misusing his power as VP of the U.S., 8 years of Dick Cheney using the oval office to make his own private business deals using taxpayer money and resources, 8 years becoming a hated nation amongst our world neighbors, and the list goes on. Thank God, literally, thank you Lord, that the tyranny of GWB and Co., is coming to an end. It's like surviving a tornado, so many things have been destroyed, but some life remains. Now we have to take the good things that remain and build upon that.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:07 AM

703 posts, read 856,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Better 2 weeks of joy than 8 years of hell that we've already gone through. The "grounded reality" is that ALL of us, no matter our political party, have to fix 8 years of non-accountability, the systematic rape and pillaging of our resources, 8 years of non-stop debt incurrence in order to fund an illegal war, 8 years of shredding the constitution to bits, 8 years of Dick Cheney expanding and misusing his power as VP of the U.S., 8 years of Dick Cheney using the oval office to make his own private business deals using taxpayer money and resources, 8 years becoming a hated nation amongst our world neighbors, and the list goes on. Thank God, literally, thank you Lord, that the tyranny of GWB and Co., is coming to an end. It's like surviving a tornado, so many things have been destroyed, but some life remains. Now we have to take the good things that remain and build upon that.
*applause*

Awesome post, thank you.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:13 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,431,698 times
Where is the pay more taxes so his illegal family can continue to stay here and mooch on our systems, option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections